Some people probably shouldn't be flying airplanes.

My point is .... so what? There are plenty of airports I've been to that the locals probably "have never seen me again after 'that'". Needles, Reid-Hillview, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, etc. etc. I could go on.

Loud screech? Happens. Hell every landing I have since I fly twice a month is like a carrier landing.....:dunno:

I'm just wondering, unless the guy shows up on the news or in the NTSB database, what's so wrong about a guy comin' in, havin' a crap landing (in the poster's eyes), and leaving?
I agree with you...i was joking thouhg..i should have put a sarcasm tag in the post. my mistake :D

Maybe I wasn't clear, the prop actually STOPPED. And today the plane is sitting there outside the MX area with the cowling open and the engine taken out, so I'd say its pretty likely something bad happened. Unless he just happens to be getting a new engine right now.

re: the cardinal

could it have also been a mechanic giving the plane a shakedown after performing some MX?

Wow. So word around the airport is the engine DID fail for about 6 seconds(which at 100-150AGL is a long time), but the guys friend who is terrified of flying was with him, so he made his friend think he was messing with him by going around again and saying "See, nothing went wrong!". The logic was apparently he didn't want his friend to be afraid to ever get in an airplane again.:drool:

I heard this from 3 guys who hang around the airport everyday, they talk to everyone so I'd figure if anyone knew about it, they would be the ones to talk to. Now if what they say is true, I'm sorry but I think thats a pretty big risk to take just to keep a friend from thinking he could have died in an airplane. That story is really hard for me to believe, he was an older guy who owns 2 airplanes, you think he'd have more sense than that.

Wow. So word around the airport is the engine DID fail for about 6 seconds(which at 100-150AGL is a long time), but the guys friend who is terrified of flying was with him, so he made his friend think he was messing with him by going around again and saying "See, nothing went wrong!". The logic was apparently he didn't want his friend to be afraid to ever get in an airplane again.:drool:

I heard this from 3 guys who hang around the airport everyday, they talk to everyone so I'd figure if anyone knew about it, they would be the ones to talk to. Now if what they say is true, I'm sorry but I think thats a pretty big risk to take just to keep a friend from thinking he could have died in an airplane. That story is really hard for me to believe, he was an older guy who owns 2 airplanes, you think he'd have more sense than that.

Engines fail for a variety of reasons, but engine failures on takeoff seem to be more related to fuel starvation than anything else. I flew over the ball of smoke and flame from a guy who didn't have fuel in the tanks when he took off this last year out of PAMR. Luckily the guy in this cardinal was smart enough to lower the nose. If it was his own damn fault, which is what this sounds like (he raises the nose, the fuel runs off of the pickup in the tank, the engine quits, he frantically lowers the nose and switches tanks, the fuel runs back over the pickup the engine starts again, off he goes.), then no problem in getting out and flying again after he figures out what happened.

Moral of the story, make sure you're on the right tank, and don't be so quick to judge. Everybody has bad days in the airplane, preferably those bad days don't happen to cause failures, or happen on the same day as a critical failure, but everybody does have spooky things happen. Wait until you get another couple hours before you say, "MAN! I'D NEVER DO THAT!" As your perspective changes as time goes on, I know mine keeps changing. The pilot I was a year ago is nothing like the one I am now, and the same will be true a year from now.

Engines fail for a variety of reasons, but engine failures on takeoff seem to be more related to fuel starvation than anything else. I flew over the ball of smoke and flame from a guy who didn't have fuel in the tanks when he took off this last year out of PAMR. Luckily the guy in this cardinal was smart enough to lower the nose. If it was his own damn fault, which is what this sounds like (he raises the nose, the fuel runs off of the pickup in the tank, the engine quits, he frantically lowers the nose and switches tanks, the fuel runs back over the pickup the engine starts again, off he goes.), then no problem in getting out and flying again after he figures out what happened.

Moral of the story, make sure you're on the right tank, and don't be so quick to judge. Everybody has bad days in the airplane, preferably those bad days don't happen to cause failures, or happen on the same day as a critical failure, but everybody does have spooky things happen. Wait until you get another couple hours before you say, "MAN! I'D NEVER DO THAT!" As your perspective changes as time goes on, I know mine keeps changing. The pilot I was a year ago is nothing like the one I am now, and the same will be true a year from now.

That, or the dude either has humongeous brass balls or boulders in his head.

Back