SkyWest Dispatch Interview

bermelr

I just finished my Oral from Jepp here in Denver and already have my first interview. It will be with Skywest this coming Tuesday April 9, 2013 In Las Vegas. Anyone have any interview tips or questions they might ask? Thanks

when did you get notified for the interview? I applied last week. Did they phone you or email? Ty:)

I'm not sure when I applied.. It was right when it opened maybe Jan or Feb. I just got a call on Tuesday and setup interview today

I also applied about two weeks ago, and have received several calls inviting me to set up an interview. I, however, will be declining. I do know, that if you're not selected, it can take quite awhile to receive a rejection e-mail.

Be careful what you wish for in working for Skywest.

I havent heard anything real bad about the company. The wages are pretty standard for a regional. The thing that gets people is St. George. You can forget about commuting in and out of there. Even simple non-reving and jumpseating is difficult.

Skywest only flies their own CRJ200s out of St George and SGU used to be a Skywest pilot domicile. There are a lot of Skywest employees and also a number of pilots that regularly commute out of St George. As a new hire, your seniority will leave you at the bottom of the non-rev and jumpseat priority list.

LAS is several hours away and many need to drive there to do non-reving and jumpseating. LAS can have pretty high loads itself in addition to the long drive.

St George has a very high cost of living compared to the dispatch wages. For a single guy or girl, it may not be so bad especially with roommates but it can be very hard to live there with a wife and kids unless you have a sugar mama or sugar daddy.

SGU also has a high Mormon population. If you are non-Mormon, it can feel isolating. If you are a Mormon or love living out west, Skywest has a lot of people that love living there and working for Skywest.

Working at Skywest is really a love it or hate it type of thing. If you like St. George, you will love Skywest. If you dont, you will be looking for ways out ASAP.

Be careful what you wish for in working for Skywest.

I havent heard anything real bad about the company. The wages are pretty standard for a regional. The thing that gets people is St. George. You can forget about commuting in and out of there. Even simple non-reving and jumpseating is difficult.

Skywest only flies their own CRJ200s out of St George and SGU used to be a Skywest pilot domicile. There are a lot of Skywest employees and also a number of pilots that regularly commute out of St George. As a new hire, your seniority will leave you at the bottom of the non-rev and jumpseat priority list.

LAS is several hours away and many need to drive there to do non-reving and jumpseating. LAS can have pretty high loads itself in addition to the long drive.

St George has a very high cost of living compared to the dispatch wages. For a single guy or girl, it may not be so bad especially with roommates but it can be very hard to live there with a wife and kids unless you have a sugar mama or sugar daddy.

SGU also has a high Mormon population. If you are non-Mormon, it can feel isolating. If you are a Mormon or love living out west, Skywest has a lot of people that love living there and working for Skywest.

Working at Skywest is really a love it or hate it type of thing. If you like St. George, you will love Skywest. If you dont, you will be looking for ways out ASAP.

I have never worked there but I've had friends who did, and I have visited the town and the dispatch office - most of your advice sounds accurate to me. Another thing to note is - Mormons have big families. So you will get families of 5 or more trying to non-rev out on a 50 seat RJ. I don't know how the seniority thing works there for relatives but it sounds like a new employee would indeed have a hard time getting to SLC from SGU. LAS is actually only a couple hours drive away but you are right that they have pretty high load factors out of there as well, especially on Sundays and Mondays. They also have a shuttle service (van) that runs between SGU and LAS, but I have no idea of the schedule or cost. All this being said, SGU does have beautiful scenery and is near some awesome outdoors locations (Zion, north rim of the Grand Canyon, etc.) so if you like the outdoors you may like SGU pretty well.

Having worked in SLC when they would run the EMB120 to SGU, the standby list was as many as 12 people up to 50 people and the plane would only hold 30 people but capped at 25 people in the summer and 28 in the winter....The highest DOH that I was able to get on was 1996 (this was in 2007 when I left), rarely I would be able to get someone with a DOH of 2000-2000. Jump seating was hard for anyone because it was so weight restricted and would have to bump pax unless it was required like a dispatcher doing their required 5hr in type or pilot doing a line check.

I know things have changed with the -200 flying into SGU but is hard to non-rev still. LAS is nice but you have the DL guys trying to non-rev but I never had a issue out of LAS.

What I find interesting is that the COL in SGU is high for being such a small city. Bummer.

Right now, if the housing market is like here in Vegas, it's not bad......but as my wife and I are finding out, the housing market is starting to go back up.....there are more buyers than houses, it about 1 house on the market both resale and new vs 10 buyers. Luckily we found a new home at good price and will have made some equity before we move in because the next phase will be 10k-15k higher. For some reason, there are people who want to live in the desert. As to why the SOL is high in SGU, the population has gone up in the last 10 years and the landscape scenery is beautiful but you can buy a resale house with 3bdrms/2 baths for 110k.

Back