how to use related experience in Dispatch

sondreilint

hi everyone,

I just got my dispatch certificate last month and have already started applying to multiple airlines to start out. i've read in here that most of the airlines need some sort of dispatch experience to actually hear back from but I still applied and hope i get a response. I also applied to some regionals that hires out of school and hope for a response also. As for the related experience, I'm 23 years old. I got job as a weather observer and as a remote pilot operator (ATC training) in the bay area. I have about 1 year of experience in both. Both of these jobs helped me passed my exam fairly well and can relatively explain situations on how air traffic control would response on different scenarios. how can I use these experiences for dispatch to better prepare myself in technical interviews, in-person interviews, and in the future? my hope would be to answer the interviewers questions in a technical matter as well as making myself an acceptable candidate.

Soooo. Im a fan of words matter. When you resad job postings and apply to get through the automated screening.. if it says “aviation experience” or “experience” I count everything You ever did involving an aviation.

Then if you get to the interview you sell yourself hard... i’ve seen it work. If they ask be honest that their criteria was met literally. Shows attention to detail.

Soooo. Im a fan of words matter. When you resad job postings and apply to get through the automated screening.. if it says “aviation experience” or “experience” I count everything You ever did involving an aviation.

Then if you get to the interview you sell yourself hard... i’ve seen it work. If they ask be honest that their criteria was met literally. Shows attention to detail.
So I have experience in mechanical engineering building the flight simulators that commercial pilots train in. I've always wondered if this was too much of a stretch though...I'm really not sure I could sell this with a straight face in an airline interview 🤷‍♂️

As others have said, you definitely have enough experience that could probably get you a foot in the door in at least an ULCC. With your background in weather and ATC, I can't imagine anyone not at least offering you the chance to interview, at which point your goal would be to sell yourself and experience to an HR professional that may not be entirely familiar with the exact innerworkings of what being a DX consists of.

Definitely wouldn't have an issue getting on at a regional with as much of a turnover they have due to mainlines hiring. You've got a leg up that not many have with your background, I'd use that to your advantage. Frontier is hiring right now and has previously hired DX's right out of school.

Back