Shadowing A Dispatcher/ Tour of SOC

M20B_pilot

Hi everyone. Thanks again for all the great help and suggestions that I've gotten here. My question now is this. I'm wondering if it is possible for me to spend a few hours with a dispatcher to actually see what the job is like. I've read a lot, but until one actually sees something for themselves, it's hard to know what exactly to expect. I have my application filled out for AGS, but I started thinking that it's kind of crazy that I'm about to spend all this time and money on a new career when I've never really seen what it's like in a SOC. I would sure hate to go through all this, get my first job and then realize that dispatching was nothing at all like I had imagined.

Anyway, I'm in Nashville and I'm willing to travel anywhere (in the US. ha!) for this. I actually even have a US Airways voucher that I need to use that could get me closer to where I might possibly get to shadow. I realize that I won't get to go to one of the legacy carrier's SOC, and that's fine. Anybody have any suggestions on who I could contact?

Thanks! :)

Hi everyone. Thanks again for all the great help and suggestions that I've gotten here. My question now is this. I'm wondering if it is possible for me to spend a few hours with a dispatcher to actually see what the job is like. I've read a lot, but until one actually sees something for themselves, it's hard to know what exactly to expect. I have my application filled out for AGS, but I started thinking that it's kind of crazy that I'm about to spend all this time and money on a new career when I've never really seen what it's like in a SOC. I would sure hate to go through all this, get my first job and then realize that dispatching was nothing at all like I had imagined.

Anyway, I'm in Nashville and I'm willing to travel anywhere (in the US. ha!) for this. I actually even have a US Airways voucher that I need to use that could get me closer to where I might possibly get to shadow. I realize that I won't get to go to one of the legacy carrier's SOC, and that's fine. Anybody have any suggestions on who I could contact?

Thanks! :)

If you're in Nashville, you could try contacting someone at FedEx to see if they could put you in touch with someone in their SOC. Or, if you don't mind driving to Memphis, you might try contacting Pinnacle. Pinnacle would be a good place to tour since it's most likely that your first job in dispatch will be with a regional carrier, so it could be a good look at someplace similar to what your first job space might look like.

I agree with manniax, MEM is pretty close to you so I would suggest Pinnacle or FedEx. I know where I was at before leaving to get my DX license, our building and SOC was pretty secure and it was hard to have guests to come visit unless they had business their but in your situation, I am sure it won't be a big deal - most of the time they are accommodating. I don't know if this is how it is at other airlines but I know at both Delta and where I was at with Allegiant, Tuesday and Saturdays were slow days for us, so that might be a good day to visit if you are able.

D'oh! Forgot FedEx was in MEM as well - don't know why I thought they were in BNA instead this morning - must not have had my coffee yet. But yes, either one of those offices would likely be the closest ones to BNA.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I called Pinnacle on Wednesday and got in touch with the dispatch sup. I told him my story and he asked for my number and said he would have to call me back since he had some people in his office. He never ended up calling back. I guess I'll give it another try on Monday. I like the idea of going to a regional since that is more than likely where I will have my first job. I'll take any other suggestions or if someone has a specific person I should ask for. Thanks!

Back