Regionals/ Reserves or Guard

tboydst

Hey Guys,
I am looking for some either that's a good idea or a slap back to reality. I didn't know where to post this so I just posted it here. I am just at 1000 hours and I get the restricted ATP at 1250. I am 33 and realize that now is the time to get into the regionals and start working. On the other hand I am looking at the Guard or Reserves. I am non prior service so here lies the dilemma. I know by talking to units that getting an age waiver and lasik waiver to fly at my age is basically impossible so I am thinking of either aircrew positions which can take up to 2 years of training also. The other option is just joining as an officer and doing whatever in the state I currently live in. I know it is feasible to do this and I needed to act like 5 years ago put this is what I have to work with. I understand that the airlines are good at the moment but I have seen several friends that have been furloughed and played the game. I realize it only takes one thing and the industry can change in an instant and having a back up plan is not a bad idea. Also staying and getting the benefits and retirement wouldn't be bad either in the reserves/guard. Plus the main purpose is to serve my community and country(biggest reason). I am just wondering from guys out there with experience in this, is it worth it and is it a viable option. Does leaving the regionals for training and taking a step back from aviation and hours worth the time spent in the reserves/guard. I have heard from pilots out there to just get to the airlines, this is from a pilot that has done the reserves and has since retired from it and has been there and done that. Its easy to say something like that when you have accomplished the goal set ahead of you. Just looking for some guidance from people with experience in both industries. Thank you for your time. Also PM me if you really have a strong opinion on this.

First off... Join the guard/reserves if you want to serve your country. If that isn't your primary reason for doing it... don't.

Second... airlines are required to give you the time off to attend military things. You won't lose seniority. However, you will lose the ability to build time towards getting hired at a major/legacy.

Once at a legacy or major the time building part doesn't matter any more.

Why not do both? If you can get an R-ATP in 250hr, go to a regional while you put packets out. If you decide to go for a non flying gig in the guard, at least you'll be building seniority while you're away for military leave and training. Go to an aa regional and wait to flow

First off... Join the guard/reserves if you want to serve your country. If that isn't your primary reason for doing it... don't.

Worst advice ever. I hate when people say that. 99% of the military is made up of people who joined for reasons other than just serving their country.

Do like guys at the majors do to avoid sitting bottom feeder reserve. Get hired and finish initial training then get your buddies at your guard/reserve unit to cut you orders to go back on active duty for a couple of years, all the while you accrue seniority at your major and when your orders are up, you now have the seniority at your major to be a comfortable line holder or even bid captain, which if you do that, you repeat the above process.

Please be sure to clearly state that your desire to serve is motivation number 2, 3 or 10 in your application package. The selection board would just love that.

Please be sure to clearly state that your desire to serve is motivation number 2, 3 or 10 in your application package. The selection board would just love that.

Oh don't be all high and mighty. 90% of the service is there for free college, job training, or to do cool chit as their #1 motivation for joining. Serving your country is a bonus.

Oh don't be all high and mighty. 90% of the service is there for free college, job training, or to do cool chit as their #1 motivation for joining. Serving your country is a bonus.

When I joined the Marines at 18 years old, Patriotism was number one on my list. When I joined the Guard several years after getting out it was more for personal reasons, Patriotism became the added bonus.

Assuming a person is applying for a commission, I think uninhibited honesty might be a breath of fresh air for board members. "I want to fly jets, oh and yes serving my country is a bonus." Good luck with that.
There are some darn good reasons why that attitude is frowned upon in some circles.
I've been retired 5 years, and maybe you know more than me, but I doubt my opinion is "nonsense". I am departing the pattern on this and leave you with the last word.

For the OP- If the industry was in a slow cycle with long upgrades, some guys would get the 1000 hrs sic needed to fulfill 14 cfr 121.436, and then try to maximize mil leave.
Concerning age waivers, I have a friend who was an active reserve E-8, mid forties who just graduated OTS and is off to UNT...

When I joined the Marines at 18 years old, Patriotism was number one on my list. When I joined the Guard several years after getting out it was more for personal reasons, Patriotism became the added bonus.

And im not knocking anyone who joined for that reason. But to sit here and tell someone if that's not their primary reason than don't join is just wrong. (I know you didn't say that)

Hillbilly kid, twenty-five from Apache Junction works at one of my jobs as security. He's currently going through the process of joining the Marines. He wants to be a sniper. Why, because he says he wants to legally be able to kill people. He states nothing about heroism, valor or service. Hope he fails his ASVAB.

Hillbilly kid, twenty-five from Apache Junction works at one of my jobs as security. He's currently going through the process of joining the Marines. He wants to be a sniper. Why, because he says he wants to legally be able to kill people. He states nothing about heroism, valor or service. Hope he fails his ASVAB.

I feel I must preface my statement: I was never a sniper, nor was I even close to what they did. However, I know a couple and have a read a great deal on their exploits throughout history. From what I have read and heard from people who have BTDT is those types of people are typically weeded out during the selection phase if they make it that far.

I feel I must preface my statement: I was never a sniper, nor was I even close to what they did. However, I know a couple and have a read a great deal on their exploits throughout history. From what I have read and heard from people who have BTDT is those types of people are typically weeded out during the selection phase if they make it that far.

Let's hope so, he has a hard-on for shootin' him an A-rab.

For the OP- If the industry was in a slow cycle with long upgrades, some guys would get the 1000 hrs sic needed to fulfill 14 cfr 121.436, and then try to maximize mil leave.
Concerning age waivers, I have a friend who was an active reserve E-8, mid forties who just graduated OTS and is off to UNT...

UNT? Is that Nav school?

Back