Purple TA

Is “Never accept the first offer.”, not a thing anymore? Used to be the mantra of JC, especially for a sucky agreement.

Seems in this day and age, a pilot group can shoot for the stars unlike any time before. Why settle for anything less?

Seems in this day and age, a pilot group can shoot for the stars unlike any time before. Why settle for anything less?

Because what most pilot's idea of shooting for the stars is, can be incredibly unrealistic and impossible to achieve.

True story...

After our last contract cycle here, I had a pilot approach me and tell me he voted no because we didn't ensure he (a 717 pilot) got the same crew meal language that the widebody/overseas pilots have. On anything long haul we get the same meal choices that the highest class of service (business class) gets. On the 717, everybody gets water or POG juice and business class gets the choice of snack mix or no snack mix. When I pointed that out, he said that he didn't care what the language said, but that he wanted to have the same end result, which was a hot meal. When I pointed out that there are no ovens on the 717, and that even if there were, it takes 20 minutes to heat up the food (and the longest segment the plane does above 10,000 feet is 15 minutes, he said that wasn't his problem and because we didn't get him what he wanted, he voted no.

Naturally, I went straight to the compensation article. Not that it's most important but easiest way to, at a quick glance, compare apples to apples. Brown has one rate per seat rather than multiple rates for different classes of aircraft. Trying to average the narrow and widebody rates, these rates don't jump ahead of Brown as near as I can tell. Perhaps there are improvements in scheduling and retirement. And there is more to total compensation than hourly rates.

Because what most pilot's idea of shooting for the stars is, can be incredibly unrealistic and impossible to achieve.

True story...

After our last contract cycle here, I had a pilot approach me and tell me he voted no because we didn't ensure he (a 717 pilot) got the same crew meal language that the widebody/overseas pilots have. On anything long haul we get the same meal choices that the highest class of service (business class) gets. On the 717, everybody gets water or POG juice and business class gets the choice of snack mix or no snack mix. When I pointed that out, he said that he didn't care what the language said, but that he wanted to have the same end result, which was a hot meal. When I pointed out that there are no ovens on the 717, and that even if there were, it takes 20 minutes to heat up the food (and the longest segment the plane does above 10,000 feet is 15 minutes, he said that wasn't his problem and because we didn't get him what he wanted, he voted no.

Haha! Yes, that makes sense. Desires must be realistic and attainable. No, steak and lobster on the short haul domestic jets, doesn’t fit that bill. Haha.

With that being an example, I can only imagine what other stories of similar vein there must be regarding contracts. :)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It was as if thousands of voices cried out from Germantown, and were then suddenly silenced.

I feel something terrible has happened.

I am voting no on this TA. Not sure why they thought we would accept the other concessions without even comparable pay rates to Delta.

I'm shocked that the top widebody rate at the end of the contract is lower than DL's current wide body rate… unless I read that wrong.

I'm shocked that the top widebody rate at the end of the contract is lower than DL's current wide body rate… unless I read that wrong.

We'll never see it, but if I had to guess, I'd say the NC over there has a bunch of survey data that shows that pilots would be super willing to accept payrates that are in the range of what they got, if certain other things were achieved.

What people say in the dark of a phone survey is very different than what they say on an internet message board/FB or even in person in front of their peers.

This past go around we ticked pretty much every single box that the (very recent) survey data had created. And 35 percent of the pilot group voted no. The issue is that people see they got something they wanted, and they just take it off the scale and put it in their pocket and then wonder why the scale doesn't balance.

Back