Professional Training Program

meyers9163

What is the recommendation on this course? Also what is the structure of this type of program? Are you flying constantly, if so how many days a week and for how many hours? Then also are you able to work during this if you are in this program? Lastly how long typically does it take if someone comes and they are stictly looking to train and not anything else? Just wondering because if I do come I'd like to just focus on training and am curious about an estimated time to complete nothing trough it? Any help would be great, also then does a guy who do this program have a good shot at getting hired on as an instructor? Just curious

Really depends on the person. A job is definately possible. My roommate (who jumps up on here occasionally) is holding down a bartending job while he's training. He came in with his PPL 3 months ago, and he should be wrapping up with the last of his CFI ratings in the next 3-4 weeks.

As far as flying constantly, you can fly as much or as little as you want. I was flying at LEAST once a day, and when I got into the CFI training, I was hitting up marathon 4 hour ground sessions to get it done fast. I wound up getting both commercial ratings and all three CFI ratings done in about 3 months with a little bit of time off to fly home to see my family, go to Six Flags and celebrate getting my initial CFI. If you want to instruct here after the program, my advice is to treat your training as a sort of interview. It might not look like it, but they're looking to see if you'd be a good match on the instructing team just in case. People that come out of the career pilot track generally have first dibs on open instructor positions if the offer comes up.

Well that sounds like your buddy has things working for him the right way and that's awesome. I guess my question is this more so, since I will hopefully be coming in Janurary 2008 (upon graduation of College YAY!) I am wanting to go full time and knock it out of the way as soon as possible. Would it be a reasonable time table to expect to get through everything in 6 months if I am going full time and maybe work (10 hours)? Just wondering if that's at all possible. I just want to make sure I can dedicate mostly all my time at training while also being able to make sure I have money for little things that come up. Just wondering if its reasonable to think I'd get from zero-completion of Pro Course in 6 months of hard work? Any thoughts on this? Just wondering also, what's the average as of now for hour of instructing per month while you all have been there? Any amount would be nice to hear.

Thank you,
PS. I am planning on coming down sometime before December to check things out. I just have to confirm things with my friend about the dates! I'm pretty excited to see what is goingon down there.

6 months should be a fairly accurate time table. No guarantees on how anything is gonna work more than 2 years down the road, though. :)

Now as far as hours instructing, it really depends on two things: how much time you spend at the school and luck. I lived up there my first week or two, and I got REALLY lucky on intro flights (4 for 5 on students and the 5th one went to ATP....traitor). I've gotten a couple of students just by being the one to answer the phone when they call or be working behind the counter when they come in. The key thing is marketing. Don't let them leave without giving them a card with your name on it. That way when they come back, they have a name of who they talked to last time. We've got one instructor that likes to write his name on the first two or three cards on top of the stack on the counter. Curiously, those seem to go missing when I walk by. :) I've been instructing here since mid-August and I'm already up to 120 hours dual given in my logbook. That's not counting ground instruction (which is paid at the same rate as flight instruction) or simulator training. I came in with 307 TT and I'll probably break 450 by the end of the month, possibly closer to 500 the way my weeks have been going.

So I've read a little over the courses and the ratings you get with the Pro Course but could anyone go into more detail about this. I realize you go from nothing to MEII, but is there a beak down or an estimate of how long each "should" take or ideally would take? If not that's ok and I understand it does depend but I'd just like a rough estimate. Secondly I also know with this industry it depends but hypothetically if I completed the pro course and got 365 TT and 200 ME, what would a realistic estimate be of how long it'd take to get up to the Mins of a regional (1000 TT) and how much ME would one estimate that'd roughly be? I know these are all hard to answer since the nature of the industry we all are in or wanting to be in, but some insight would be nice to hear.

Side note I've now completed my requirements now for my Psy. Degree but now I must complete an additional 43 credit hours of University credits before I reach the 124 needed for graduation. I think I'll be picking up a Business Admin minor now just to add a little more to my plate.

Any thoughts would be great, THANK YOU in advance!

Easy answer to all of those questions: it depends.

How long to get to 1000 hours of total time? Depends on what flight school you get hired with (if you choose to CFI), how busy they are, how many students you get, how the weather is, etc, etc. For example, I've been flying nearly non-stop since I got here, but that could end at ANY moment (hence the reason my bank account has a cushion in it). I'm more than likely going to break the 500 TT mark this month, but it could drop suddenly and I might only have 600 by the end of the year. There's no way to tell. ME time is the same way. Other than the time you get through a time building program or training, it depends on the job. Some schools are better for building ME time than others. A lot of schools don't even have twins due to insurance costs. Then it still goes back to the students and how many/how often they fly. I've heard of guys going from CFI ratings to 1000 hours in about 9 months, and I know others that it's taken close to 2 years. So, there's no accurate way to answer the question. If you're looking for competitive ME time, 150-200 is good.... for now. The more we see this bridge programs/under the table deals with flight schools, the more ME time you'll need. IMO, it's just upping the amount of money need to land an airline job. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the day when you can't fly for ASA or XJT without paying an extra $40K for ME time building and an RJ transition course, which is sad.

I think I am going to go ahead and since I wont be going any where for training until Jan 2007 I will knock out my PPL while here at school. Question I have for you at skymates is I can get a PPL in a C152 for about $5000 where the same will cost nearly $2000 more in an C172. Will that really matter to you guys there at Skymates if my training was done in an 152 instead of 172? Just wondering what your thoughts are on that? Any insight would be great.

Thank you!

I'd wager that Skymates or any other flight school or employer won't care whether you got your private in a 152 or a 172. As long as when you show up with your private certificate and do a checkout that you can do the maneuvers, engine outs and other airwork competently and can demonstrate good decision-making abilities and know your stuff.

If you haven't flown a 172 by the time you get to Skymates, the instructors will be happy to intro you to a 172 for a few $ :).

I did my private training split between 152's and 172's. Know what the difference is? 172's are easier to fly.

Don't worry, they'll take care of you.

Doesn't matter to us if you got your PPL in a 152, 172, Cub, B-52, etc. The FAA says you're a PPL, and that's good enough for us. Now, you'd still have to do the standard insurance checkout in our planes, but you'd have to do that no matter what. A little transition course could be worked into the checkout if you've never flown a 172. I wouldn't worry about it. If you can get the PPL knocked our cheaply, do it.

So I was looking at the web site and looking over the "quick course" and what came with that. I recently got approved for a loan through Salli Mae and will be starting my private prolly in a cesna 152. The cost is approximately $5500 if everything goes somewhat as planned. So that gives me something to do while finishing up college before I can come there in Jan 2007 any ways. What exactly would I then need for the quick course "Prerequisite : You must have your PPL and 50 hours of Cross country PIC in order to qualify for this offer." Was not too sure what this means. Does it mean I need my PPL and in addition to that 50 hours? Just wondering.... Any ways I start on the PPL this Tuesday! I can not wait to finally get working on it!

Gizmo said:
I see there's a fellow Browncoat on this here forum. Now I can come out of the closet.

Heh, there's a few of us around. You just have to hunt to find us folk.

Prerequisite : You must have your PPL and 50 hours of Cross country PIC in order to qualify for this offer.

This is for the other option for the pro course. If I get my PPL I will have at least 40 hours TT. Also I will have 5-10 Cross Country hours. Does this mean I'd have to pay for an additional 40 to be able to do this? Just wondering. Was not certain what the actual requirements are. Thank you!

Thinking about visiting some in December or during my winter break from school? I was thinking Sunday would be the slowest of days probably and would come on a Sunday? Anyone think this would be a bad idea or have any suggestions on dates in December which might work out best? I look foward to seeing the place and can not wait!

Don't go on Sunday if want to talk to Luca or Ryan. They are the ones with the answers and that is there day off. Best time to catch them is afternoons during the week. They have got a good set up and are great guys. Hope that this helps.

Yeah, on Sundays all you'll get is either me, Travis or Brad. Well, maybe just Brad since normally me and Travis are hopping from plane to plane on Sundays....

I normally use the sim to teach things like VOR and ADF tracking. Since most of the 172s (ie all but one) don't have ADF receivers, it's about the only way to actually teach that part. Plus, it's kinda handy to get in that last bit of instrument training necessary. More than likely, you'll be preparing for the solo in the actual airplane.

Back