Prelim out on Cessna crash in AK that killed former NTSB/FAA investigator

MAK49

Didn't see this around here yet.

A Cessna 172 crashed here in Alaska near Birchwood Airport (PABV) a week ago (April 20th) with 4 fatalities, one being the pilot who was a retired NTSB investigator and FAA manager.

NTSB just released the preliminary report on it. Sounds like they were doing aerial surveying and photography and were flying low and struck a 100 foot tall spruce tree.

Latest news report about the NTSB report release: http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/ntsb-...-wreckage-found-nearly-500-feet-away/39240688

NTSB report: http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20160421X93349&key=1

Update from the NTSB. While investigation is still ongoing, they have found bald eagle "particles" on the airframe, so there's a possibility of a bird strike at some point in this crash.

"A Cessna 172 that crashed on April 20 in Birchwood, killing four people, hit a bald eagle before crashing, according to new details revealed through forensic testing by the National Transportation Safety Board.

'During the course of the investigation, which is still ongoing, a foreign substance was discovered on the airframe of the accident airplane,' NTSB officials wrote in a press release Wednesday. 'A forensic analysis of the substance was completed by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., and it was determined to contain feather particles of an immature Bald Eagle.'"

Eagles will not alter course for an airplane. I've come within a wingspan, and all they do is give you a "This is MY sky" look. Golden eagles are especially unconcerned by planes, and they are BIG.

They were not that low, and you'll find eagles through 10k at least.

Word is they took it straight through the windscreen.
As many eagles as there are around the state and as much general aviation as there is I'm surprised it happens this seldom.

They were not that low, and you'll find eagles through 10k at least.

Word is they took it straight through the windscreen.
Yeah, my post came BEFORE the release of the Eagle impact report.........
When I posted, the only information was low level flying and an impact with trees

Eagles will not alter course for an airplane. I've come within a wingspan, and all they do is give you a "This is MY sky" look. Golden eagles are especially unconcerned by planes, and they are BIG.
ALL birds of prey will either attack or try to crowd out anything that is flying in their "territory". They are instinctively the winners.......

I'll never forget having a large eagle dive at me coming out of Juneau. That bastard wanted vengeance.

Back