WSJ Article on UPS BHM Crash

Which is why the idea of getting that much time off at an airline sounds fantastic to me. One would have time for real flying, outside of work.
Eww, flying outside of work? :)

I spend most of my time off on my drumkit or pursuing other interests, which is why I like my schedule. Do my work in a big block, then have the rest of the month off to grow a beard and generally forget what it is I do for a living!

Y'all are all sick. I have 670 YTD which is on par to finish up right at 800 and some change. I'm all for people chilling at the house but that really does seem inefficient for the airlines to allow that.

I spend most of my time off on my drumkit or pursuing other interests, which is why I like my schedule. Do my work in a big block, then have the rest of the month off to grow a beard and generally forget what it is I do for a living!
"errr, uh, flaps, uh...yeah, the first notch."

If I could afford it, I'd do it. Flying for fun is not at all like flying for work.

I get really agitated about this fatigue topic. How on earth could the FAA possibly sign off on the fact that the current fatigue rules aren't good enough for 121 pax, but just fine for cargo, the segment of the industry that has the toughest flying sked by far. It's a level of corruption and backscratching that seriously rivals some third world countries.

Probably for the same reason we could carry all kinds of nasty cargo aircraft only stuff. In my opinion either the stuff is dangerous or it isn't. However, the fact remains that your life is as a cargo guy is irrelevant to the bottom line if the "stuff" oozes and blows up. I told that to a new guy once and he laughed. I just told him to look at the facts, clearly his life as a cargo pilot was much less important than that of a passenger pilot. The passenger pilot's life is only more important because he has a plane full of passengers with families that will sue. It is cynical and sucks big time but I can't figure out any other explanation as to why dangerous items can be carried on cargo airplanes and cargo pilots are exempt from fatigue reducing measures.

Y'all are all sick. I have 670 YTD which is on par to finish up right at 800 and some change. I'm all for people chilling at the house but that really does seem inefficient for the airlines to allow that.
I work a leg to SYD on Friday afternoon, and another crew takes it to ICN for the weekend. I get 119 hours (5 days) in SYD because there's simply no jet coming through until the following week. Don't hate the player, hate the game. :)

I work a leg to SYD on Friday afternoon, and another crew takes it to ICN for the weekend. I get 119 hours (5 days) in SYD because there's simply no jet coming through until the following week. Don't hate the player, hate the game. :)

What is your international per diem rate there? Or do you get corporate cards to expense stuff?

If I could afford it, I'd do it. Flying for fun is not at all like flying for work.
I dunno, maybe I just lost the passion for it. I went up in a Cirrus fairly recently, and found it all pretty tedious. Maybe if I took up aerobatics or something...

I'm lucky in I get to do both at "work". When were sitting in Hailey for a couple days I get to fly the bosses new Cub Crafters Super Cub on tundra tires into the Idaho back country. It's not bad at all. Even then I think I've averaged about 150 days of duty and a little less than 300hrs a year the last three years. Days of duty include overnights. As long as they keep paying me, I think I'll stick around. I think I need to revise the "he who retires with the least amount of hours wins" to "least amount of days worked". :)

We all know there are about as many reasons for not bidding Captain as there are FOs eligible for upgrade. The least common of which is probably lack of skill.

But, you know, have to find something, somewhere....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that our strongest collective skill as pilots is throwing other pilots under the bus. It is just something that happens so often and is such a horrible thing that it makes me sick and want to leave aviation all at the same time.

Yes, but it's not necessarily a good deal or available all the time. I'm not sure about the other domiciles but it's hit or miss whether they offer it each bid. Most of the time they don't but they have for the last two bids in ONT. Not sure what the logic is on that one way or the other. You have to call in the day prior and anything that's in open time is fair game for you. They can even convert you to the normal short call. Normal reserve you can only cover something during your 12 hour call shift. Long call you cover anything in the 24 hours in the next day.

That's because Cirri are designed to be tedious! They're supposed to make the rich doctor feel like he's flying your work ride. You need to drive around below 1500' in something fabric covered, preferably with the door off.

Now this my friend , is how it's done!

Yes, but it's not necessarily a good deal or available all the time. I'm not sure about the other domiciles but it's hit or miss whether they offer it each bid. Most of the time they don't but they have for the last two bids in ONT. Not sure what the logic is on that one way or the other. You have to call in the day prior and anything that's in open time is fair game for you. They can even convert you to the normal short call. Normal reserve you can only cover something during your 12 hour call shift. Long call you cover anything in the 24 hours in the next day.

Do you bid reserve or a line?

Reserve. I commute to reserve but have a nice place to stay in SoCal. Works out great. At most, I fly half as much as a line holder and most of the time way less than that.

Back