WSJ Article on UPS BHM Crash

What amazes me (if the flight times are correct) is that the Captain only had 6000 hours flying for UPS and was at the company since 1990. That really isn't that much time as it averages to about 21 hours per month. Is that normal at UPS @DE727UPS?

Well, I mean, I suppose it's possible that he's making up the quotes about having had sim problems, or someone was lying for...I dunno, some reason. But if the jumpseat conversation is accurate, like, what would you consider evidence of being a substandard pilot?

What amazes me (if the flight times are correct) is that the Captain only had 6000 hours flying for UPS and was at the company since 1990. That really isn't that much time as it averages to about 21 hours per month. Is that normal at UPS @DE727UPS?

I won't say "normal", but it's not unusual. I used to fly 100 hours a year back when we had the 727's as a line holder. As a reserve, I've worked maybe 40 days this year.

I remember BFI-YVR was like that. Week on, week off. I also did LAS-PHX as an S/O that was like that. DFW-EFD week on, week off, with vacation would get you there. Even WAW-CGN back when you did that like 5 days a month was pretty low block. What's the big deal? Isn't it like that at Delta?

I'm averaging less than 15 hours a month for almost a year and a half.

I remember BFI-YVR was like that. Week on, week off. I also did LAS-PHX as an S/O that was like that. DFW-EFD week on, week off, with vacation would get you there. Even WAW-CGN back when you did that like 5 days a month was pretty low block. What's the big deal? Isn't it like that at Delta?

I've been here almost 7 years and have a little over 3000 company hours.

Funny thing, I still actually like flying. I enjoy doing a good 60hrs or so per month, makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I have a buddy who has the ideal corporate gig everyone dreams of, flying a three holed Falcon maybe 10-15 hours a month. He loves being at home and not having to fly, but then again he has no career aspirations beyond his part 91 gig.

I have a buddy who has the ideal corporate gig everyone dreams of, flying a three holed Falcon maybe 10-15 hours a month. He loves being at home and not having to fly, but then again he has no career aspirations beyond his part 91 gig.

That's what I loved about corporate... Every time a trip was scheduled, I was happy and ready to go to work.

At my current gig, I've blocked 600 hours so far in the calendar year as a lineholder. That's with me attempting to fly as little as possible too. I don't have quite the same smile on my face on the drive in to the airport, I have to admit. I just keep telling myself it's a means to an end. :).

I have a 135 gig that is a corporate jet charter and as one of the captains on our XLS I fly on average 15-20 hrs a month and I love it! Great money wonderful equipment and having worked in the 121 world I will never go back to 121! It's not the cream of the pilot world anymore! Just my humble opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Which is why the idea of getting that much time off at an airline sounds fantastic to me. One would have time for real flying, outside of work.
We still do 'real' flying on the EM2, I think. It is certainly more "fun" and hands on than the Embry Riddle Jet was.

Funny thing, I still actually like flying. I enjoy doing a good 60hrs or so per month, makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Working with people who don't like flying can be anywhere from an average to a miserable experience, with the median somewhere on the 'miserable' side.

Back