Pilots, The Ego, and Paying It Forward

I'm not slamming spirituality because a little spiritual thinking for everyone now and then is always a good thing regardless of the dogma of each person's individual belief system. But why is it that many times when folks have a moment of clarity regarding something very "human" such as ego they give the credit to a deity?

Now when it comes to pondering infinity or the meaning of life I can certainly understand why one would look to the metaphysical for guidance as I do that myself. But Firebird, you have just figured out some pretty basic psychology 101 about yourself. Having an outside onlooker, friend, shrink see it for you is easy, but figuring it out yourself is an accomplishment that YOU did. Not some omnipotent power in the sky. When amazing things happen, when we make self-breakthroughs it is quite okay to you pat ourselves on the back and add those answers to our personal cup of wisdom. The true power we all have is our inner self. And that power is far more potent then most could ever imagine. You used that true power and you came out better for it...Give yourself some credit there...If Jesus ever really existed, and was around today, from everything historical vs. religious that I have read about that individual, I believe he would tell you to do the same.

To truly become one with the universe, to understand Zen, or if you have more conventional spiritual beliefs, to become one with God, you must become one with yourself through your own efforts. And in turn be able to accept such an accomplishment as yours.

I'm not slamming spirituality because a little spiritual thinking for everyone now and then is always a good thing regardless of the dogma of each person's individual belief system. But why is it that many times when folks have a moment of clarity regarding something very "human" such as ego they give the credit to a deity?

Now when it comes to pondering infinity or the meaning of life I can certainly understand why one would look to the metaphysical for guidance as I do that myself. But Firebird, you have just figured out some pretty basic psychology 101 about yourself. Having an outside onlooker, friend, shrink see it for you is easy, but figuring it out yourself is an accomplishment that YOU did. Not some omnipotent power in the sky. When amazing things happen, when we make self-breakthroughs it is quite okay to you pat ourselves on the back and add those answers to our personal cup of wisdom. The true power we all have is our inner self. And that power is far more potent then most could ever imagine. You used that true power and you came out better for it...Give yourself some credit there...If Jesus ever really existed, and was around today, from everything historical vs. religious that I have read about that individual, I believe he would tell you to do the same.

To truly become one with the universe, to understand Zen, or if you have more conventional spiritual beliefs, to become one with God, you must become one with yourself through your own efforts. And in turn be able to accept such an accomplishment as yours.

This is why I like you- you're smarter than me. I don't think I conveyed my point entirely or as clearly as what you have done here.

The book I've been reading is 'A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle.

That's basically what it says. I've used parallels to my understanding of the Christian faith to explain it. It was the best message I could convey. He does so, and uses reference to Buddhism and Hinduism as well.

I do not know what to call my 'inner self' but I know that I have not until recently even knowingly acknowledged its existence. My ego has been a hard, brittle shell dividing me from the world. Only because of so many people around me paying it forward have I had even the slightest inkling of how to breach that shell and bring forth my truest self.

I chose to explain it as I did because I thought those references had more personally relevant significance. The book references Zen quite often.

Last night, I think that I experienced a satori, which the book describes as a brief flash or glimpse of Enlightenment.

I have done the work, true. It has been excruciatingly difficult, but worth it. I have never really loved myself. I don't know exactly how or when, but somewhere along the way I was convinced that it wasn't worth it to me. I know better now. It's foolish to punish one's self like that.

Heinlein once wrote that most definitions of 'sin' are foolish, and that the only real sin lay in "hurting others unnecessarily." If 'sin' is traditionally interpreted as what separates man from God, then to hurt others- or your inner self, either directly, or by confusedly inviting others to do so.. is to separate yourself from what is right. Call it God, your Inner Self, to become Unenlightened, what have you... it's all the same.

My failing has been my inability to appropriately value myself. In doing so, I made it impossible to value others. In that, I have hurt others. They in turn hurt me. You retaliate, and it perpetuates until somebody gets hurt so bad they either die or demand it to stop.

They say a coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only once- and this is the defining point of that statement. Though I am at times apt to do so, I am no hero. To act in my own interest because I refuse to hurt myself and others anymore through my unawareness.. merely balances things, if that.

I still have much to do.

Perhaps this is unwise to be so personal, but this helps to keep me honest. I have not understood what is right; I have been backwards. By putting this in public view, I know there are those here who would help me correct my mistakes.

That's why this place is so great- there are so many of us willing to help each other. It is very difficult for me to admit I need help at times. The extreme outpouring of help I have been offered has been very noteworthy.

I started this thread to recognize those who have 'paid it forward', some in much greater extent than I ever would have had the courage or strength to ask. I also started it to honor that gift by letting my honesty be a warning to others. I have lived like this until now because I was too scared to admit that I could not see what I was doing to myself.

I cannot pay back the kindness I have been shown. Those who have show me such great kindness would not allow me, anyhow, most likely. Perhaps by exposing the reasons for my need for such kindness, I too, can 'pay it forward'.

In the Christian Bible, in the Book of Kings, a story is told of a city under siege by a fearsome army. Outside the walls of the city are three men stricken with leprosy. So horrid a disease was leprosy at the time that they were actually 'unpeople'. Disavowed and cast aside, it was their duty to declare themselves unclean so that the healthy could avoid them.

For reason I cannot recall, one day the three approached the campsite of the invading army. It is said that God made the approaching lepers' steps thunder like that of an army so awesome and so frightening that the invaders ran in fear, leaving all their possessions unguarded.

The lepers proceeded to loot the camp. In the process, one of them was struck with a realization. "We do not well." In that realization, God took mercy on them and they were healed. Lepers no more, they were once again taken into their community, much humbled for their experiences.

This story is a parable for those who question why their lives seem stricken at times- why they seem to be unable to rise above certain weaknesses or are repeatedly met with the same failures.

When the Ego commands us to seek negativity, to lash out, to seek more in order to fill that which rots and dies inside us, we fail.

My recent experiences have been a turning point in my life. Perhaps through this I can make something useful out of this for myself. By taking better care of myself, perhaps I can live a better life.

This is why I like you- you're smarter than me. I don't think I conveyed my point entirely or as clearly as what you have done here.

Oh I don't know about all that..If I was really smart, then instead of a bong in one hand and a beer in the other throughout the entirety of my late teen years then well into my 20's I should have taken my future more seriously.

If I had, instead of flying an airborne bus 180 miles below it, I'd currently be on the ISS running some kind of astrophysics experiment looking down at this magnificent planet making a real contribution to mankind. Though I will say that I have no regrets being that I can honestly state that I can truly hear Jimi Hendrix vs. just listening to him...LOL. "Ear!"

Oh I don't know about all that..If I was really smart, then instead of a bong in one hand and a beer in the other throughout the entirety of my late teen years then well into my 20's I should have taken my future more seriously.

If I had, instead of flying an airborne bus 180 miles below it, I'd currently be on the ISS running some kind of astrophysics experiment looking down at this magnificent planet making a real contribution to mankind. Though I will say that I have no regrets being that I can honestly state that I can truly hear Jimi Hendrix vs. just listening to him...LOL. "Ear!"

You're smart enough.

You're still not getting my Man Card, though. :beer:

Here is something I wrote to somebody who asked for general advice. It summarizes my approach to life. I think it ties in with what you're saying, Firebird2XC:

-------------------------
Enjoy the journey. Being a pilot at any level is amazing. If you're always looking for the next big break...the better flight school, the twin time, the turbine time, whatever...you'll never fully appreciate how awesome your life and job is at the moment.

Happiness doesn't come from the airframe you're flying. Most of my time has been spent in piston singles, but I've flown everything from vintage taildraggers to SR-22 G3 Turbos, and frankly, they're all just machines. Really fun machines, but still machines. Happiness comes from friends, family, God, making a difference in the world, and similarly deep causes. No matter what you fly, eventually you'll have to find happiness in something beyond the machine you operate.
-------------------------

Why do you think I love teaching/mentoring so much? It goes far beyond moving a plane from Point A to Point B. I don't think a person can be truly happy without that "something else" in their life.

Somebody asked for a Cliff's Notes version earlier, and I think I can boil it down to this:

Pilots are noted for being ego-driven. However, it has been also noted that it's as if there's a significant personality change when they strap on an airplane. As it requires their most focused attention, it does not allow time or room for the self-deception and negative machinations of the ego in the mind.

We all subconsciously recognize this- it's why we can't help but watch an airplane fly by. We're happiest in flight because the ego is quiet.

Therefore, often not we assume in other environments that our being less happy is the product of something else in our environment, i.e., certain things or people. By recognizing the fact that we are less in control of our own egos when outside the flight deck, we find common ground and core experiences.

Common core experience is the basis of communication. By communicating, we dispel the illusions of others and ourselves, and thereby better quiet the ego when *not* flying.

That way, instead of focusing on satisfying our egos, we can focus on our needs to pursue other things.

Like beer... and boobs. Good times. :)

Somebody asked for a Cliff's Notes version earlier, and I think I can boil it down to this:

We all subconsciously recognize this- it's why we can't help but watch an airplane fly by. We're happiest in flight because the ego is quiet.

Like beer... and boobs. Good times. :)

I disagree sir. I think many of us are happiest in flight because we are experiencing .....flight. Don't forget that at the center of every pilot is a fool in love with defying gravity. ;)

I disagree sir. I think many of us are happiest in flight because we are experiencing .....flight. Don't forget that at the center of every pilot is a fool in love with defying gravity. ;)

Fair enough. Why are we so in love with defying gravity?

Does the sense of accomplishment satisfy...

... the ego... perhaps? :)

I have enjoyed reading this post, A zen like description of the pilot.
I feel compelled to say that I am never more in tune with (God, Allah, The Great Pumpkin, the inner spark or what ever you want to call it) than when I'm flying. Actually being able to quiet the distractions of life and intently focus at the task at hand, at least until ATC screws it up with an amended flight plan.
I know that I am not the only person who has seen the pure majesty in a sunrise or the poetic beauty of a sunset over a cloud deck while at altitude.
Call me what you will, but there in those few moments of silence I hear the inner calling, a fleeting glimpse of what is and what could be.

I feel compelled to say that I am never more in tune with (God, Allah, The Great Pumpkin, the inner spark or what ever you want to call it) than when I'm flying. Actually being able to quiet the distractions of life and intently focus at the task at hand, at least until ATC screws it up with an amended flight plan.
I know that I am not the only person who has seen the pure majesty in a sunrise or the poetic beauty of a sunset over a cloud deck while at altitude.
Call me what you will, but there in those few moments of silence I hear the inner calling, a fleeting glimpse of what is and what could be.

Bravo sir, and well said. :beer:

thank you for the great post!

Even though I don't believe in organized religion I have been more spiritual lately and found my self a lot happier with life!

Some may feel the same about blind dogmatic zeal.

I'm just sayin! ;)
I'm not saying anyone should have blind dogmatic zeal. I wish I could put my energy into something else but nobody's perfect.
thank you for the great post!

Even though I don't believe in organized religion I have been more spiritual lately and found my self a lot happier with life!
Heroin might work better for you.

One thing that I have realized by reading this thread is that being a pilot is no different from being anything else. What has been said, thus far, in this thread can be applied to anything else in life. One of the reasons why people are pilots is because it will give them something to do to get by in life. Seeking the next rating, upgrade, or pay raise is simply making the most of what you're doing while you're doing it.

Some people have already realized that the one thing that will make them truly happy just cannot be achieved in life.

Happiness is temporary and variable. There are a lot of things in life to be experienced. You are here, you are alive, so do what you can while you can. To some, earthly pleasures are enough to make them happy. However, to others, true happiness will never be realized until death… and, maybe, not even then.

You'd be amazed at how many pilots out there don't appreciate any of that. Too many working in the profession, especially the "Generation Entitlement Shiny Jet Syndrome Kids", did it soley for the money and the chicks.....the sad part here is that I am not in fact joking. But...**sigh**, the joke's on them ain't it. Because they will never be able to see what we see when looking at that sunset over a cloud deck. And the money, well...no need to comment there, LOL.

I can tell ya'll that I've done a lot of different things in my life. Now that I fly for a living...There is nothing else I'd be able to get myself out of bed for....especially at 03:30 someplace exotic like ROC...LOL.

One thing that I have realized by reading this thread is that being a pilot is no different from being anything else. What has been said, thus far, in this thread can be applied to anything else in life. One of the reasons why people are pilots is because it will give them something to do to get by in life. Seeking the next rating, upgrade, or pay raise is simply making the most of what you're doing while you're doing it.

Some people have already realized that the one thing that will make them truly happy just cannot be achieved in life.

Happiness is temporary and variable. There are a lot of things in life to be experienced. You are here, you are alive, so do what you can while you can. To some, earthly pleasures are enough to make them happy. However, to others, true happiness will never be realized until death… and, maybe, not even then.

I somewhat agree with this, but not entirely.

The point I was making was that satisfaction of the ego is fleeting, because you will never satisfy it. The supposed happiness is an illusion. By quieting the ego and acknowledging when it's using your insecurities to drive you, you can attain a more steady, even mellow. A little Zen, perhaps. You don't have to die to attain that.

This book I've been reading- it suggests that Buddhism's Zen and Christianity's "Kingdom of Heaven" are really places within the self. By finding these things, you unlock your own Enlightenment or Eternal Salvation, thereby assuring your transcendence into the next plane of existence.

There's no need to die to find Nirvana- it's always there. It's just too bad we were took late in realizing this to save Kurt.

Back