passenger at the gate aggressive towards FA

triple7

Actual incident

At the gate in a southern airport. 97 degrees on the ramp, and even with the APU blasting max cold we still couldnt get the cabin below 26c. As we are boarding, I(FO) grab the clearance and due to a pretty intense line of weather we get a rather lenghty reroute. So, the captain heads down to ops to call dispatch on the landline and get new paperwork and a look at the radar. I sat there getting things ready and the FA turns to me and tells me she has just counted 8 lap children. Our aircraft only has 5 extra O2 masks, so that limits the number of laps we can have on board. Our FA was brand new....as in 3 weeks in base. She looked at me and had a confused blank look. So, I told her to wait till boarding was done and do a walkthru to make sure there really were 8 laps; and not 8 small kids, some of whom had their own seats.

3 hours late due to the weather at destination and enroute we are fully boarded with 50 people and 7 kids on laps. One of them actually had a seat. I ran uptop and informed the gate agent that we had too many lap kids and she had to deseat someone. A few moments later the gate agent came back down and called up a family of 5. Husband and wife, their dad, and two kids. She informed them not so eloquently that they must leave the aircraft since they were the last to checkin they must get off. They were the first row behind the galley, so the gate agent got off the aircraft and the FA was in the galley. Well, the woman began to rant and rave at the FA. Dropping F bombs, cussing her and the agent out. REFUSING to leave the aircraft.

I watched this all unfold, but remained on the flight deck, allowing my FA to get verbally abused by this maniac woman. I opted not to get involved as to not further aggravate the situation as they woman was slowly making her way to the door.

By now people are furious. I had been making PA's explaining the wheels up time, heat in the cabin, etc. But now they are all ganging up on the FA. Saying its BS, she needs to compensate them, etc. The woman makes one final slew at the captain, telling him to "dont effing smile at me". He had no idea what had happened.

The FA came up to give us the count and had huge tears in her eyes. She couldnt take it anymore. We left for our destination and arrived 3 hours later. I made a pretty good PA explaining why the mayhem at the gate. I explained we, spec the FA, had to work with a problem that shouldve been caught at the gate.

So, my question: As the FO would you have gotten up and demanded she leave before allowing her anymore verbal abuse of the FA? Would you have called ops and had the CA come up? Would you have just sat there like a woos like I did?

I learned alot that day, and looking back feel I shouldve gotten up and said something. The PA did help, as the PAX all apologized to her enroute, and she felt much better afterwards. But I really feel as though she shouldnt have had to go through that...not with that they get paid.

Maybe I'm a bit prejudiced as I'm a FA, but I think you should have stepped in. However, if that would have left the cockpit unattended---probably not. You should have called the gate agent or Ops or ANYONE to help out, though.

Just my .02, but would you have liked it if people started ganging up on you? You're an officer on the aircraft, and supposed to stick up for the crew. I wouldnt have waited for the CA. If he was gone, then you're in charge, especially considering this was a situation that needed to be dealt with immediately. You wanna wear those stripes, then act like a man and earn them.

I might not work on an airliner, but the pax we do fly are paying upwards of $1000 an hour for a trip. If you cant handle a pissed off hick paying 200 bucks for a transcon, then how would you handle a CEO whos insisting on landing in unsafe conditions?

Sometimes you gotta let people know this your your damn plane and if they dont like something then they can pound sand.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I learned something that day. Ill definitely carry this forward with me.

Where in the world was the captain with all of this?

But if someone is verbally abusive to one of your crewmembers, give them the option to grab their belongs and exit the aircraft, or have the airport police do it for them.

Where in the world was the captain with all of this?

But if someone is verbally abusive to one of your crewmembers, give them the option to grab their belongs and exit the aircraft, or have the airport police do it for them.

Ops for about 15 minutes. The whole incident happened pretty quick.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I learned something that day. Ill definitely carry this forward with me.

Kick yourself in the ass for your poor performance. From what you described, you left your FA hanging.

Though you say you learned form this, can you articulate why it is you did nothing?

It sounds like you had a gut feeling that getting into it would have just made it into a longer, harder battle.

What about interrupting and calling the FA into the cockpit, out of sight while the passenger was slowly making her way out? Kind of like removing fuel, oxygen or ignition source (heat) from a fire.
Then replacing her oversight with yourself, gate agent or another FA.

Sounds like a rough deal.

Trust me, after the fact I gave myself a good hard kick to the *****. I apologized to her as well. I didnt get up for fear of aggravating things further. I could see the woman was reluctantly moving towards the door so I opted not to get up. But you all are right, I shoudlve intercepted her rant before things escalated to the point they did.

Its the first time in over 3 years Ive had a situation like this, so I wanted to share for those who maybe havnt been in this situation either. It was a bad scene on all levels and I def let her down.

Trust me, after the fact I gave myself a good hard kick to the *****. I apologized to her as well. I didnt get up for fear of aggravating things further. I could see the woman was reluctantly moving towards the door so I opted not to get up. But you all are right, I shoudlve intercepted her rant before things escalated to the point they did.

Its the first time in over 3 years Ive had a situation like this, so I wanted to share for those who maybe havnt been in this situation either. It was a bad scene on all levels and I def let her down.

Thanks for posting this because we all at one time might encounter this situation.

In fact, we had to give a verbally abusive passenger the boot yesterday! :)

Passenger wouldn't comply with a request from a flight attendant to secure luggage properly.

The passenger then said something "unsavory" and refused to comply.

Flight attendant, reconfirms to the passenger that she's not in compliance and gives her another opportunity to do so.

Expletives.

FA calls the cockpit, says we need to have someone removed. I call operations about a 'passenger problem' and to bring security. Captain walks back explains why she's going to deplane the aircraft. Passenger does not comply just as security and the gate agent arrive.

Passenger removed, problem solved, flight pushes back on time. 215 happy passengers.

CabinGas.png

I take my CR advice from Harrison Ford:

[YT]PDOusjjKuFo[/YT]

[YT]238y_E0zZK0&hl[/YT]

Instead of pulling a family off that didn't want to get off, how about offering some compensation and solicit a few volunteers to take a later flight. There may have been 4 or 5 passengers who would not have minded getting a free lunch and taken a later flight. Sure it would have cost the airline a bit of money, but they were the ones who allowed the situation to develop in the first place.

As a pilot, you almost always want to try and diffuse any hostile confrontation between a passenger and a FA. Don't pick sides, just get some distance between them and assure your passengers that their needs are important to you. Remind them firmly that verbal or physical abuse of a crewmember will not help the situation and will not be tolerated. We forget sometimes in defending our company or personnel that very often, passengers have legitimate issues that deserve consideration - passengers aren't always the ones being unreasonable. If you feel a situation is getting out of control, call for a supervisor and get the captain involved ASAP.

As you have seen, people issues are much more difficult to deal with than flying the airplane.

Thoughts:

It is the gate/ops personnels' duty to decide who to remove.

Once that decision has been made, flight crew and ground crew work together to effect such removal

Flight Attendant hopefully learned the lesson that life is not all hugs and puppies. She (?) is a crewmember on that aircraft, and better be able to handle confrontation quickly and professionally.

Cockpit crew needs to back up cabin crew, and vice versa.

I think this exemplifies a portion of the duties and responsibilities of an aircraft crew that a lot of newbies and wannabes think about. There's more to being an airline pilot than flying the airplane.

And that's why we need to be professionally compensated.

Right? Right! :)

It is the gate/ops personnels' duty to decide who to remove.

I disagree. It's the PIC's decision in this scenario. In the event the PIC is missing, the SIC is in charge.

triple7, thanks for sharing this. Definitely gave me something to think about as well.

Does the PIC know the airlines denied boarding order? The gate agent should. Now shame on the gate agent for not seeking volunteers for a $400 voucher or whatever. There are a pile of horrid gate agents that don't give a crap, and unfortuately it seems like s/he was one of them. Theres more the the job than saying "though crap, you were the last to check in, not gets off the plane". It should have never gotten to any of the flight crew, CA, FO, FA or othwrwise. Its between the passengers and the agent.

As a passenger I have deplaned and taken a later flight. I have done it enough that now when I book I always leave a good 6 to 8 hour cushion just for this reason. I've even told the agent if they need someone to get off then find me, I'll do it happily (justly compensated of course). I have gotten upgraded to first class, free dinner and 100.00, round trip tix, etc. All it took was someone from the gate or the crew making an announcement and a willingness on my part to unass the seat.
Kindness pays more dividends than Dbaggery does.

The crew shouldn't be getting involved in deciding who to remove. The Station Operations Manual (or your airline's equivalent) will stipulate how it's to be done, and we aren't trained in that as pilots. Let the gate agent worry about that, and then the crew should back her up.

In this situation, the captain should have intervened. Since the captain wasn't around, that leaves the FO in charge, and he should intervene. It's really simple, and it's something I had to do a few times as a captain: "Ma'am/Sir, the gate agent and flight attendant have asked you to deplane. You're required to comply with crew member instructions. If you won't leave the airplane, right now, then I'm going to call law enforcement, and they'll be more than happy to remove you and file charges." That always got them to wise up for me, but if it doesn't, then carry through and don't hesitate to call the cops. But above all, never leave your fellow crew members to hang in the wind.

Back