passenger at the gate aggressive towards FA

Qgar, I think it's pretty rare for pilots to feel that they should just sit by while this trash goes on. I think virtually all of us would step up and do the right thing.

Qgar, I think it's pretty rare for pilots to feel that they should just sit by while this trash goes on. I think virtually all of us would step up and do the right thing.

I believe you're right and I do appreciate that attitude. :beer: HOWEVER, the guys who say "it's not my job," "the FA is trained to handle irate pax," etc., etc. need to know that's not the right attitude. I really appreciate the OP's honesty and realization that he could have and should have handled the situation differently. :)

I'm probably in the minority here but if you feel the need to go back there you should already have called the police. Flight attendants are trained to deal with irate and abusive passengers and are given the phrases to use to calm them down. If these don't work, you may be viewed as a threat to the passenger and escalate the situation. Call the police, it's their job. Then go and tell the F/A that you called them and ask them to go to the galley until the passenger deplanes. You should not engage the irate passenger.
I agree, you are in the minority here. I found that often as a FO or as a Captain the mere appearance of a pilot uniform would calm the situation. I noticed this if it were me, or another pilot, size or gender doesn't matter. I knew a captain who would always wear his captains hat when he got out of the seat to handle some sort of disagreement, whether it be from the gate agent ramper or customer. He said it helped to keep things from escalating and reminded the other person who had the final authority for anything that wold happen on the aircraft.

The safety of our passengers is our ultimate responsibility, and keeping a disgruntled passenger from escalating a situation is sometimes part of the job. (IMO)

Funny how just the appearance of the stripes (and the hat) usually bring the offending person down a notch or two.
One of the saddest aspects of this whole situation is I can pretty much guarantee the deplaned family was compensated handsomely by the airline. Maybe the rude and inept gate agent didn't do it, but you can bet your bottom dollar a letter was written to the airline to which the response was an apology letter and free travel to a destination of their choice. Once again, bad behavior was rewarded.

when I came out to talk to someone, they became very respectful, although I probably could have come out of there in a pink bunny suit by the time I filled up the aisle way and leaned into the seat of the offending passenger(s)

Back