New Southwest Livery leaked?

Chief among my beefs is anyone who would dare key up and ask/tell/otherwise pester another airplane to move.

"If you want that done, Your Airworthiness, you may key up and do so yourself. Sir."

My former colleagues admonished our use of strobes when taking the runway the other night. It was less than professional.

I like it. Looks fresh.

My former colleagues admonished our use of strobes when taking the runway the other night. It was less than professional.

Wait what? I do that all time. Thats what strobes do. Much like taking my pants off above 10k, they go on when taking a runway, every time.

There's a difference between thinking "nice lights, jackass" and saying "nice lights, jackass."

Also incidentally, that's what they're there for.

If the strobes being switched on when the plane ahead is taking the runway bothers someone, all they have to do is look away momentarily since that plane will launch shortly anyway. Staring at the strobes, then complaining that they're bothering, is rank idiocy.

Why do some folks turn the strobes on when holding in position? You already have blinky lights (beacon) going anyways, no use turning the bright ones one to blind everybody else holding short.

EDIT: Adding to Mike's post, turn them on when you have a clearance, not lining up and waiting.

Why do some folks turn the strobes on when holding in position? You already have blinky lights (beacon) going anyways, no use turning the bright ones one to blind everybody else holding short.

EDIT: Adding to Mike's post, turn them on when you have a clearance, not lining up and waiting.
That is not what my SOP says; even if it did, "if you have a light, turn it on."

Ask the deceased crew of Skywest 5569 or UsAir 1493.

How hard is it to not look at the strobes when holding short?
When the strobes are at eye level? Pretty difficult when it's filling up the flight deck with light while you're trying to run a checklist. I realize SOPs may be different, if your company requires it, fine. But don't be a tool about it.

When the strobes are at eye level? Pretty difficult when it's filling up the flight deck with light while you're trying to run a checklist. I realize SOPs may be different, if your company requires it, fine. But don't be a tool about it.

If someone switches them on when taking the runway, whether line up and wait or whether rolling for takeoff, I have no issue with that. It's easy enough to look away if I'm holding short or doing something else, especially with my aircraft not moving.

What I find more bothersome when it comes to strobes, are some planes who taxi around with them on. Normally small GA planes.

You beat me to the punch on that one. I was just going to mention that. Might possibly have helped in Tenerife back in '77, although probably not.

Tenerife I think not so much due to the very low visibility/obscuration and the distance PanAm was down the runway and obscured. But who knows...

Skywest/UsAir they could potentially have helped had:

1. The Metroliner been equipped with them.
2. The UsAir crew known an aircraft was in position and hold down the runway at an intersection (had been in position, as tower had thought he had launched).
3. Had they been landing at somewhere other than LAX, where the vast preponderance of runway lighting, CL's, REILs, and TDZ lights effectively masked the Metroliner sitting on the hold.

Many new GA planes (the Cirrus for example) no longer have a beacon so the strobes are playing double duty.

Very annoying.

Yeah I seem to remember that with the Grumman Tigers that ERAU had gotten new up in PRC back in '92-'93. It was strobes for wingtips as well as the red light on vertical stab, or nothing but position lights and taxi light for taxiing around.

Again, its a huge improvement.

2498585.jpg

2498746.jpg

Back