Looking for a reference

stroboli62

Anyway related to Marana and Silver Bell Heliport?

Subject: Tanker aircraft at Picacho Az.

Message Body:
Looking for info.
In 1990 during a photo-tour of Arizona, I came upon a C54 tanker sitting on what I thought was a random field near Picacho. We were told it was on standby or stored for the quiet season. Later years I
see that there used to be an auxiliary airfield there, and it's now a U.S. Army helo training field. Can anyone confirm this is indeed where the aircraft was parked,and the reason?
Thanks and Happy New Year from Scotland!

--
Email sent from a contact form on FireAviation:
(https://fireaviation.com)

I posted this there in response:

“Air tankers weren’t at PCA, the former Marana AAF Aux field, now Picacho Army Heliport. Prior to being built into the Army heliport that is now, the field sat as an abandoned square with nothing going on for many decades. The tanker aircraft were nearby though. Single engine air tankers and the occasional multiengine air tankers, including a C-54 or two at the time, were parked at the former Ed’s airfield, located about 2 miles north-northwest of Picacho heliport, just up the road on Picacho Highway Rd, on the west side of the road and just north of the Central Arizona Project canal. You can still see the remnants of the two parallel north-south runways, one shorter than the other. Ed’s had a small crop dusting operation at that time, and a few air tankers would also park there, I believe in the off season. Ed’s airfield has been closed for over 20-25 years, but I remember seeing tanker and cropduster aircraft there back in the day. Ed’s used to be known as 20AZ for its airport identifier, but that has been reallocated to Grand Canyon heliport. Hope this helps.”

I posted this there in response:

“Air tankers weren’t at PCA, the former Marana AAF Aux field, now Picacho Army Heliport. Prior to being built into the Army heliport that is now, the field sat as an abandoned square with nothing going on for many decades. The tanker aircraft were nearby though. Single engine air tankers and the occasional multiengine air tankers, including a C-54 or two at the time, were parked at the former Ed’s airfield, located about 2 miles north-northwest of Picacho heliport, just up the road on Picacho Highway Rd, on the west side of the road and just north of the Central Arizona Project canal. You can still see the remnants of the two parallel north-south runways, one shorter than the other. Ed’s had a small crop dusting operation at that time, and a few air tankers would also park there, I believe in the off season. Ed’s airfield has been closed for over 20-25 years, but I remember seeing tanker and cropduster aircraft there back in the day. Ed’s used to be known as 20AZ for its airport identifier, but that has been reallocated to Grand Canyon heliport. Hope this helps.”
Thanks for the assist MikeD...saw your response

Been on fireaviation.com website for years....howabout you?

Thx again!!

Thanks for the assist MikeD...saw your response

Been on fireaviation.com website for years....howabout you?

Thx again!!

Anytime! Looks like a good website there! I just remember that area from when I was growing up and seeing the same thing he described. Close airfield nearby, but a different airfield, and is the one the poster saw. Glad I could help out.

Back