Need some contacts and help with jobs.

priti

hi,
Im new to this site, but i did have chance to go through it and seems to be a very helpful place,so here I am :)
I am currently in NJ did all my training(comm-multi-IFR) in Canada, am an Indian citizen and have just finish converting all my licenses to FAA. I really need to find a job, nd its proving to be real difficult, more so because i don't know any body here in the aviation field to guide me. Im a low time pilot and looking for my first aviation job, I am also willing to start from the ramp, but im going to need a company that is willing to sponsor my work premit, i know it may be asking for a lot but i still want to give it a shot!
I am also wiling to take up a flying job internationally, i heard Africa(bush) is a good place to start, so I would also greatly appreciate any help in that front also.
Thank You

Well I don't know how much help I can be, but as you know, there is tons of good info on this site.

And since nobody else said it yet, let me just say welcome aboard.

As staledog said, welcome. In your spot, I'd look pretty hard at getting a CFI, if you can afford it. There are lots of schools in the US that are teaching your countrymen how to fly...I'm sure they'd be very excited to have a CFI who shares their idioms, language, etc. If you don't want to/can't do that, have you looked at pipeline patrol or aerial mapping? The trick there is that I don't think those companies would pay one red cent to get you a work permit...they have plenty of young kids with american passports who are lining up to do it. Whatever the case, keep us informed. JC is very good about trying to help when it can.

Thank you guys for your warm welcome:)
Boris- that is great advise, but im not really too enthusiastic about the CFI because first off its not my talent(at least i dont think it is) and because i have student loans that my parents are taking care of for the time being:( so i really wanna be able to get up on my feet soon, yes i did look into pipeline patrol and such, but im not getting a place that is willing to hire with my qualifications:( and as for the work permit i am willing to pay for it myself i just need the company to state that it will sponsor, and i was also wondering if you know of any bush jobs either here or in Africa? I did try the web but i cant seem to find any websites for companies, just blog sites.

Brother, I hope you find some. From what I've seen, your only chance at working in the US is to suck it up and get that CFI. I didn't think I'd make a very good instructor, either, but I was faced with the same stark choice you are: Instruct or become a Lawyer. I instructed. And I found that while I wasn't the best instructor ever, I was actually ok. It took some learning, as everything does, but it also taught me a whole lot.

One of these wise old men around here once said (paraphrasing) "If you can't be a good instructor, you can't be a good F/O or C/A". Those are words to live by. You might surprise yourself and be really good at it. I'll tell you this: In my brief experience flying for a living, none of it was what I Expected it to be. Whether it was flying Freight and dealing with Weather or flying 135 charter and dealing with Rich People, or flying Air Ambulance and dealing with sick people and their relatives...it was never what I thought it would be like. Which is why I'm glad that I've had all of the jobs I've had. Every one is a learning experience, whether it's learning about the equipment, learning about the weather the equipment has to fly in, learning about the people in the back, or learning about dealing with the other guy who's sitting up there with you (left and right seats).

If I were to presume to give you advice, it would be to slow down, relax, and pay attention to what you're doing right now, rather than rushing for some imaginary "Finish Line" that doesn't even really exist. Why NOT instruct? Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. But you won't know until you try.

I have to say i do absolutely agree with most of what you have to say, even though i am a little skeptical about my instructing abilities, you are right ill never know till i try it, but unfortunately my doubts are not all that stop me, i am also on a money crunch, i have a student loan so that is another reason that i wont be able to pursue my CFI, and need to find a job as soon as possible.
and thank you for the advice:) i will be sure to keep that in the back of my mind at all times:)

Back