My first type rating. Thank you.

HVYMETALDRVR

Just wanted to post a little blurb on here. I came on to these forums in early 2009 with a closed mind and some strong opinions about certain things. I had recently lost my turboprop job and was pretty dejected, as a result some of my posts got me into some pretty nasty cat fights that I'm not so proud of. I have and will always had my opinions but still it wasn't necessary. Anyways I later joined the military (as a Reservist) for a good part of 2009 returned back a different person looking to bust into aviation again.

Its been really frustrating because during this time I went from about 1300TT to about 2200TT I had very little ME and no big aircraft experience. I've always posted a lot of the forums but have since made it a point to be non confrontational for the most part and to really try to learn from the experienced veterans on these forums. I always wanted to fly the biggest coolest aircraft (yeah SJS I know), because of the personal challenge, but also because of the travel benefits and better pay it usually affords... (hard to make 100,000/yr flying a 172). But since I didn't even have enough multi to get into something as big as a C-402 it always felt a little far away and hopeless being I'd like to be captain on an Airbus or Boeing someday.

Anyways, after a lot of frustration and second guessing my decisions in aviation my persistance paid off and someone finally gave me a "shot". I just passed my checkride yesterday in the radial engined 48000lb Convair 440 and it feels great! Sometimes you have to meet the right person and the CP of the company definitely went out of his way to give a low time guy with a can do attitude a chance. Prior to this the largest thing I've flown is a PC-12 and an Aztec!

I couldn't have done it or even been offered this opportunity if it wasn't for the help I've gotten on these forums. I've even been fortunate enough to have met a few of you in person as well. Thanks again for everything>

Now if I could just soften my landings in it a bit. ;) The very first landing I did in her I got lucky and was perfect... I don't know how I did it... the the next three afterwards I felt in my veritibrae!

Well congrats on the new type. That is awesome.

I definitely know the feeling as I'm coming up on 2000 hours and have flown anything larger than a 402. Almost had a chance for right seat king air time the other day, but of course it was filled by time I made the call back.

Id love to fly the pc-12. I'm sure that was a great experience.

Just out of curiosity, how did you land the job...right place/right time, networking, luck, or a combination of all 3?

Very nice! Congratulations and thanks for understanding what we're trying to do! :)

Congratulations on both the new position and the type rating. I hope it works out for you........

P.S. That's a big jump in aircraft size! Have fun.

CONGRATULATIONS! I bet that was one heck of a type ride! I'm envious, I would love to fly something with round engines!

Thx for the well wishings. As for getting the job it was timing, I didn't have any contacts in the company. The previous guy had just left for a regional and he was more concerned with my attitude and if I could handle the plane (since I'm basically the autopilot). Also I was local, sort of jonny-on-the-spot so he tested me on a mx flight and it went well. Then we did the groundschool and the checkride, they hired one other CFI with similar qualifications as mine also. I also got lucky because of the area, theres quite a few old propliners flying down here. I'd also been trying to get into one of the DC-3 operators for awhile now but with a whoopping 12 hours of tailwheel it was always a tough sell.

As for the plane, shes cable controlled in the flight controls so she handles like a mack truck with no power steering. Getting used the myriad of engine guages and callouts takes some getting used too also. But after you get passed that, its just the standard IFR scan on the six pack. The complexity of systems is far beyond any light twin and this is even with the pressurization, anti-ice, and autopilot deactivated. Its funny too because at UND I did the CRJ transition, and later flying the Pilatus I learned to better understand and master computers, automation, flows, and CRM. Transitioning into the Convair is like watching the original Star Wars movies, and then watching the new "prequels" sort of going back to the beginning and seeing when everything comes from. The Convair (and other aircraft from the same era) were the first commercial aircraft to use WWII technology pioneered on the B-17 and B-29 like advanced pressurization, anti-ice, fire detection, and hydraulic systems that are now standard on everything today. Except instead of push button and automated checks, its more of flipping toggle switches, deafening fire bells, random flashing lights, and handcranks! I wonder if I should wear a pilots uniform or the suspenders of a train locomotive!

Either way I'll posted some pictures from the road as I get'em!

Congratulations. It looks like you have some very memorable flying ahead of you in that classic bird. I'm jealous.

Except instead of push button and automated checks, its more of flipping toggle switches, deafening fire bells, random flashing lights, and handcranks! I wonder if I should wear a pilots uniform or the suspenders of a train locomotive!

Hmm... Sounds like the Brasilia! :)

Congrats man!

There are a few aviation milestones that one never forgets:

First Solo
Getting all the licenses
Flying the first low wx approach
First type rating.

You'll always remember this. Congrats!

Back