Misrepresentation...

GUNIT

As everyone knows, the UAA/AABI are putting forth the argument that it is "quality, not quantity" of flight training that determines pilot skill. They contend that due to this, there should be an exception to the ATP before 121 rule for any UAA grads.

I know at Purdue professors have been trying to jade their students and pour them the proverbial kool aid. I am wondering how many of the students feel. I'm no longer there and can't call the administration out; who else is in favor of the ATP before 121 with no exception? To me it seems as if the UAA should represent the vested interests of the students involved in the program, not the future profitability of the member institutions.

Post here, maybe we can get something going.

As everyone knows, the UAA/AABI are putting forth the argument that it is "quality, not quantity" of flight training that determines pilot skill. They contend that due to this, there should be an exception to the ATP before 121 rule for any UAA grads.

I know at Purdue professors have been trying to jade their students and pour them the proverbial kool aid. I am wondering how many of the students feel. I'm no longer there and can't call the administration out; who else is in favor of the ATP before 121 with no exception? To me it seems as if the UAA should represent the vested interests of the students involved in the program, not the future profitability of the member institutions.

The kool-aid is running wild here at Purdue. I believe many of the Prof's are spilling their anti ATP rhetoric not because it truly isn't a good idea, but more so out of self-preservation for their jobs. I can tell you that the VAST majority of students here have bought it hook, line, and sinker. It's to the point where if I express my pro-ATP views, I get jumped on, and attacked immediately. They don't even consider any counter-arguments, most are just dead set against it, and there is NOTHING that will change their minds. They say things like 'just another rating' and 'just another number of hours'. How about the highest degree of care? How about equally rated pilots? Another number of hours? Why aren't they complaining about 250 for the commercial. When closely considering their arguments, it becomes clear that they are arguing purely out of *self-interest* rather than the interest of safety. Well, I'm a Purdue FLT student, and I'd rather legislation be passed in the interest of safety, even if it means delaying the job prospects. So Max, to answer your question; unfortunately the bill is opposed by nearly everyone here at Purdue, with a handful of exceptions. Those who realize that requiring this 'highest degree of care' rating would actually serve to better quality at the airlines are out there, but in the minority.

Another reason I support the ATP is that I see many of my peers are in school simply because they expected to graduate, and go right into a jet just because they have gone through the program. These are the types that have very poor piloting skills (I see this all the time with other students in the 727 sim), poor aeronautical knowledge (you would not believe the kinds of things I've heard *instructors* tell students in the FRASCA simulators), and most importantly, ZERO motivation. The ATP will weed these types out, and only the most motivated and dedicated will remain. Those are the types we need at the airlines.

Of course they speak ill against the ATP for 121 ops. Purdue could no longer promise the world to these kids and get them into the shiny jets with 300TT, what would that do for enrollment? Probably nothing, but I'm sure they don't want to risk it.

I, for one, while not a PU flight student, support the ATP prior to 121 ops change.

This is purely about business. They've been bilking their student for YEARS of overpriced training for a long time now.

They're just trying to keep making money rather than make a move towards safer skies.

This is purely about business. They've been bilking their student for YEARS of overpriced training for a long time now.

They're just trying to keep making money rather than make a move towards safer skies.

EXACTLY. I'm a freakin' flight student here, and I agree with you 100%. Too bad the faculty is spilling their venom against this move. Oh well, the faculty here is embarrassing.

Exactly. This thread isn't about the MO of admin as we know it's CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me).

It's a real shame that the students aren't really getting the argument from both sides.

Exactly. This thread isn't about the MO of admin as we know it's CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me).

It's a real shame that the students aren't really getting the argument from both sides.

I recommend all Purdue flight students go and build their 1500 TT 500x/c after graduation with etflies in the Seneca....that is all.

Ouch...harsh. I'd like to point out I've come into my own during my time as a CFI there...and managed to de-tune the avtoolness by at least tenfold.

Have fun in the Cirris next fall though!

OneToGo; not sure who you are but it sounds like you have a head on your shoulders. Irregardless, I can't believe some of the clowns that made the pattern a ####show over the last few years will now be TEACHING in an increasingly complex aircraft. God help you all........

Back