The sky IS falling aka another atp article

Yep. This is definitely part of it. It's interesting how many barriers there are entering this sect of the industry.

Why do certain companies get away with hiring pilots with no time in type while others can't while being audited by the same company?
They just won't assign that pilot an ARG/US trip. They'll fly them and hopefully pass the audit. They don't care because the audit is a joke. All the above.

Insurance is honestly a cop out. If your broker can't work someone in then you need a different broker. I've dealt with this on several different occasions and it's not what people make it out to be, the $$ doesn't really even come into play. Usually the principals are over insuring the crap out of the airframe and their liability is out of whack. Thankfully I've finally found a broker that I will use and recommend for as long as he's selling insurance.

If it's charter it could also have to do with ARG/US.
ARGUS is all about audits, safety plans etc. It's not so much about hours. So anyone who told you that IMO, was full of it. I remember working with them a few years ago. I worked for a Platinum company, flying one of their airplanes single pilot. To keep their platinum rating I had to provide a bunch of my info. An example would be KeyLime has a Platinum rating. I have a friend who was hired there with just less than 2000 hours and 10ME to fly their Metro about an year ago. ARGUS, IMO, is a scam. It's mostly just proving what the company could/would do if they had an accident, and audits of safety related records.

http://www.flightoptions.com/operations/safety.html?id=219

IMO, it all revolves around spending $6k or $12k to get a guy through training. Companies that are that cheap, I've found out from experience, I usually don't want to work for them.

ARGUS is all about audits, safety plans etc. It's not so much about hours. So anyone who told you that IMO, was full of it. I remember working with them a few years ago. I worked for a Platinum company, flying one of their airplanes single pilot. To keep their platinum rating I had to provide a bunch of my info. An example would be KeyLime has a Platinum rating. I have a friend who was hired there with just less than 2000 hours and 10ME to fly their Metro about an year ago. ARGUS, IMO, is a scam. It's mostly just proving what the company could/would do if they had an accident, and audits of safety related records.

http://www.flightoptions.com/operations/safety.html?id=219

IMO, it all revolves around spending $6k or $12k to get a guy through training. Companies that are that cheap, I've found out from experience, I usually don't want to work for them.
I believe it's a scam as well. The "anyone" that told me was an ARGUS rep. I don't have the times in front of me but I believe it's 1,000tt for SICs and 3,000tt for Captains. ARGUS as well as Wyvern satisfy mid-level managers pay to make their department safer without actually making it safer.

I believe it's a scam as well. The "anyone" that told me was an ARGUS rep. I don't have the times in front of me but I believe it's 1,000tt for SICs and 3,000tt for Captains. ARGUS as well as Wyvern satisfy mid-level managers pay to make their department safer without actually making it safer.

Curious then as to how we kept our platinum with me being wet still with 135 pic requirements, and being pic?

Curious then as to how we kept our platinum with me being wet still with 135 pic requirements, and being pic?

Maybe it has to do with how many seats are on the aircraft? Piston vs Turboprop vs Jet? I do know another hourly requirement for a PIC is 250 hours in type.

I was 27 when I did my career change in 2004 (I paid as I went, no debt), and there was plenty of evidence to stay put (as an engineer) too. If you want to make the change, quit looking for reasons not to do it and just make it happen.
Nut up, shut up, and fly airplanes. :cool:

I know nothing about the particulars to your operations and what type of equipment you fly. I thought you were at ASA.

This was years ago. If memory is correct, about 4. I was flying a Chieftain at the time. I think it was when you were at Airnet.

:):stir:

Yeah, well, divorce can force you into a schedule. And sometimes, that schedule comes with a pay cut. Have some kids, get a divorce, and see where your chips fall. I'd rather be flying out of Van Nuys again, but there isn't much of a schedule on that side of the fence, and kids are more important than money.

Yeah, well, divorce can force you into a schedule. And sometimes, that schedule comes with a pay cut. Have some kids, get a divorce, and see where your chips fall. I'd rather be flying out of Van Nuys again, but there isn't much of a schedule on that side of the fence, and kids are more important than money.
Well, I'm not working on any of that at present, but I have to say, time off is an amazing thing.

This was years ago. If memory is correct, about 4. I was flying a Chieftain at the time. I think it was when you were at Airnet.
That makes sense. I've never dealt with the ratings agency with regard to piston aircraft, haven't touched a piston in 6 years. The qualifications I was speaking to were for jet aircraft.

We still need that über like button! I've often considered starting a " quality assurance " program like Wyvern or ARG/US so I could siphon money off of all these 135 operators.

:)

As far as ARGUS/WYVRN goes, back when I was The Big Cheese of The Bitchjet, it was 3000TT. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I was hired; they needed someone with a "lot" of time who was dumb enough to work 27 days a month for chickenfeed. Enter Boris, stage left, looking provincial-bordering-on bumpkinish...

PS. If you think ARGUS, etc is a winning scam, you should check out CAMTS!

As far as ARGUS/WYVRN goes, back when I was The Big Cheese of The Bitchjet, it was 3000TT. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I was hired; they needed someone with a "lot" of time who was dumb enough to work 27 days a month for chickenfeed. Enter Boris, stage left, looking provincial-bordering-on bumpkinish...

PS. If you think ARGUS, etc is a winning scam, you should check out CAMTS!
CAMTS couldn't be more of a crock of crap if it tried. I mean they certified my old shop and that place will for sure put one in eventually.
The whole process of getting it has nothing at all to do with real aviation safety.

Back