The sky IS falling aka another atp article

There are fewer student (fewer available hours), and night freight is shriveling. I can see this law exasperating the students issue. Smart people (or their parents) will see the road ahead, the lack of a ROI, and take another path.

There are quite a few freight companies hurting for pilots right now though.

There are quite a few freight companies hurting for pilots right now though.

But like instructing, the number of potential hours is a fraction of what it use to be. Also, maybe this will motivate some of the shady ("Screw the rules, fly or you're fired!") operators to get their act together.

But like instructing, the number of potential hours is a fraction of what it use to be. Also, maybe this will motivate some of the shady ("Screw the rules, fly or you're fired!") operators to get their act together.

It will probably do the opposite.

This x1000.

The industry used to self regulate on this. CFI until 1200. Fly boxes/whatever until 1800. Get commuter job. Get 1000+ right seat time. Upgrade. Get better job. Lather, rinse, repeat.

At the end of the chute, you had a pilot with 5-7,000 hours who's been around the block several times over, and has had to deal with recalcitrant men and machines and making the big calls, all the while avoiding death, serious injury, bent metal, violation or termination (hopefully in that order).

Versus 190 hours, and watching the autopilot fly for 1300 hours, then getting thrown in the left seat.

THIS is the core misunderstanding that lowbies and MPL proponents miss. There is no greater motivator than saving your own skin, and those lessons are forever INGRAINED. I don't care how many hours in the 320 sim you have.

BUT, through whatever process, the industry thought it was cool to mess with what had been working for DECADES. We saw what happened next. As the industry could no longer regulate itself, the Feds stepped in.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Richman

Could not agree more.

challenge-accepted-barney-5619.jpeg

Could not agree more.

x2. You really just don't know what you don't know until you go out and have that experience of all the dials and switches being basically written in Greek and things are really, seriously, potentially fatally going wrong and oh dearie me, what do I do now? The next time, it's easier. And the time after that, it's easier still. Etc etc. What's infuriating is that it's totally impossible to explain this to anyone until they're already part of the Choir.

I completely agree. I remember starting to learn when 250 wet commercial guys were going to the airlines, and now after CFI'ing, and 135'ing(?) and learning how much I didn't (and don't) know, I shutter at that thought. It might be harder, it might take longer for people to get there- but that's probably going to end up being better for the industry as a whole. Or not. but probably.

1.Flight instruct to 1200hrs.

2. Fly 135 freight. It will get you the multi time and all that required training jazz.

3. Go to a regional of your choice if that's your cup of tea.

Give me an employer to sponsor, and I'll do just that.

Hopefully train is right. As a 27 year old attempting the "pay as you go method" to a career change it seems every time I get on the internetss I find another reason to stay put.

I was 27 when I did my career change in 2004 (I paid as I went, no debt), and there was plenty of evidence to stay put (as an engineer) too. If you want to make the change, quit looking for reasons not to do it and just make it happen.

GypsyPilot said:
I was 27 when I did my career change in 2004 (I paid as I went, no debt), and there was plenty of evidence to stay put (as an engineer) too. If you want to make the change, quit looking for reasons not to do it and just make it happen.
I was 48 and an engineer as well and bit the bullet.... If you want it you have to try it.

It's definitely an adventure.

YRMV

Looking for opinions. How do you think this rule will affect the part 91 and charter 135 jobs that fly say a King Air that require an ATP for insurance reasons?

135 jobs that fly say a King Air that require an ATP for insurance reasons?

The insurance requirements will change. Actuaries are pretty smart. I mean, if we're talking about flying as an SIC, anyway. Insurance rates will always be semi-rational, because money gives the world torque.

The insurance requirements will change. Actuaries are pretty smart. I mean, if we're talking about flying as an SIC, anyway. Insurance rates will always be semi-rational, because money gives the world torque.
Yeah, but I still don't think it will change the, "but we're looking for someone with experience in type" requirement. For an entry level position, I never understood that.

Yeah, but I still don't think it will change the, "but we're looking for someone with experience in type" requirement. For an entry level position, I never understood that.

I believe it comes down to insurance being cheaper when you have time in type plain and simple. Many companies are not willing to pay out the extra money. And if they are willing to....it comes right out of your pay check. :)

Looking for opinions. How do you think this rule will affect the part 91 and charter 135 jobs that fly say a King Air that require an ATP for insurance reasons?

I think this scenario falls in line with the issue that there are operations that require an ATP, but the aircraft doesn't meet the mystical 40k# threshold.

Fire-Ready-Aim is SOP.

I believe it comes down to insurance being cheaper when you have time in type plain and simple. Many companies are not willing to pay out the extra money. And if they are willing to....it comes right out of your pay check. :)
Most of the time it has to do with recurrent rather than initial.

If it's charter it could also have to do with ARG/US.

Yep. This is definitely part of it. It's interesting how many barriers there are entering this sect of the industry.

Why do certain companies get away with hiring pilots with no time in type while others can't while being audited by the same company?

Back