FAA to boost Co-pilot training, avoid ATP rule

Sorry to bump a thread, but do you guys think ATP would qualify as one of the "other advanced-training programs" that would receive extra flight time credits?
I honestly don't see how they can be...they are an ACCELERATED training program. No time for in depth aerodynamics or weather or even CRM, although the whole program is with another pilot either the CFI or a partner. Even when you do the associated college program you, haven't passed the second semester of college by the time you are finished at ATP. I did ATP and taught at ATP (2003-04).

They should last time I checked it was the least expensive form of travel for a given time. Sure it might be cheaper to take a bus from LAX to DC but it also take 4 days, trains are even more expensive.

Actually, flying LAX -> IAD/DCA is basically the cheapest option. Just a quick look airline vs amtrak vs greyhound vs driving.
Air - $150 each way 4h40m
Train - $208 each way 17h30m
Bus - $126 each way 2D13h35m
Car(30mpg & $3.5/gal) $311 + wear and tear each way 1D18h nonstop

If your 2 days and 9 hours of time is worth at least $25, then flying is by far the cheapest option.

We should have a merger between this thread, the GoJet thread, and an FAA thread and just call it annoying crap in aviation we won't agree on, but love to complain about.

Actually, flying LAX -> IAD/DCA is basically the cheapest option. Just a quick look airline vs amtrak vs greyhound vs driving.

If your 2 days and 9 hours of time is worth at least $25, then flying is by far the cheapest option.

I've taken Amtrak long distance before (from DEN - IND)... It sucks. Big time. They have the lowest priority on the rails, so they are constantly pulling over to side tracks to allow the freight trains to pass. You also have to transfer trains, and it was in general a MAJOR pain in the ass. The reason I did it was to save money, since my brother was travelling with me too. Afterwards, I would have gladly paid double the air fare to not go through that again.

That's why I like it...my time is definitely worth that much. (not much more, mind...but that much)

I've taken Amtrak long distance before (from DEN - IND)... It sucks. Big time. They have the lowest priority on the rails, so they are constantly pulling over to side tracks to allow the freight trains to pass. You also have to transfer trains, and it was in general a MAJOR pain in the ass. The reason I did it was to save money, since my brother was travelling with me too. Afterwards, I would have gladly paid double the air fare to not go through that again.

You mean you would pay more money for a superior product? Don't let most airline customers see what you have posted. You might dampen their quest for god given entitled discount airfare.

Exactly what I was getting at. I guess the public likes to think they are getting taken advantage of.... :insane:

Back