Metro tricks of the trade.

[quote="ItsAFunZone, post: 2146620, member: haven't even asked what run I'm getting. Been consumed with studying, and looking at pictures of rainforest during my study breaks. I plan to see that ENTIRE island while I'm there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta[/quote]
Just go to Crashboat beach in BQN. Plenty of "sightseeing" there.

Since I am joining the ranks of the OOTSK, give me some pointers. I start class on the 4th.

Don't fail out of training and make me look like a •. Well anymore like a •.

Accept right now that it's not a beechcraft, and all will be well. :)

No really, once you embrace certain oddities(which aren't really that odd), it really is just another airplane. I got used to it at about 40 hours. About the same amount of time in the 99 actually.

My only pointer is that corrections require more input than you think. The controls are pretty heavy. Hopefully it's not on your checkride, but request that your sim instructor gives you a V1 cut with losing the left essential bus. Not likely to happen, but it's good to see. Short of a lion getting loose in the back, that is one of the worst, if not the worst thing that can happen to you in this plane.

Also, go ahead and use the rudder if you run out of aileron authority in turbulence, on final for example.

I'll let the more experienced guys comment further.

Who are you working for?

You won't get it in initial training, however a V1 cut with a failed Gear Protection solenoid is worse.

Isn't the wing overheat like the worst thing that can happen if it's for real? Like it's basically a wing is about to fall off annunciator?

I've gotten about 8 of these in person. They're not a big deal, 3 minutes after the emergency flow, shut an engine down. Out of all 8 I've never had to shut an engine down.

Reaching behind you to transfer power for the he gear to the right bus. Oh yeah, you lose your flight instruments too. Super! :D It's just awkward

Flight instruments are on the AC bus, not the DC.

The accident you are thinking about was due to a brake overheat/fire. They departed at 0701 in the morning, and the wing folded while almost in the landing flare at I am guessing 0726. There are a bunch of great reads on this accident and a few others that I would suggest you read.

Fly it like a big aircraft, know power settings for your configuration/airspeed cold, if you do not chase power/airspeed all the time it is a much easier aircraft to fly. Know the electrical system well, always remember flaps and nose wheel steering are powered off of the non-essential bus. Know the aircraft well enough that when you turn a system on you know what indicates that the system is functioning (do not rely solely on annunciator lights as in aircraft of this age, just because a light says something is working does not mean that it truly is working).

There is so much to know, but depending on the company and the training just listen to the instructors take in the information and don't stop at the basic level of knowledge of systems. Dig deeper and truly understand the indications that the aircraft is working properly and how to troubleshoot problems to either fix your self made mistakes or any mechanical issues that happen.

It's a real honest airplane that has never done anything that has surprised me... But it has made me question my sanity level to continue being in one a few times in my 7 years in it.

In the sim fly around at 35%. You should always be able to put the gear in. When the crap hits the fan in the sim, just remember you can always rotate at 120 knots and land at 120 knots and you'll be fine.

If I can fly it, anyone can. It's just an airplane, it has its quirks, but "trees get smaller, trees get bigger."

Easiest airplane to land that I have yet encountered...no joke.

If the cargo door doesn't close, get a line guy to put his back under the tail and push up while you rotate the door lock, works like a charm. And yes, you can be loaded within CG and have to do that.

Expect things to break, they will...often. However, the airplane has a lot of redundancy and work arounds to get you home.

If a 100lb indian woman can turn the thing, I see no reason that grown men should be complaining about the "heavy controls" . (I am not said 100lb indian woman)

Nosewheel steering will fail, get proficient at taxing and taking off with differential power. It is quirky at first, but beta in that plane is no joke and will give you more than adequate authority to taxi without jamming on the brakes. It isn't hard at all.

Men fly Metroliners...sissy girly boys fly Beeches.

Power off landings produce the nicest touchdowns, after the mains touch, lift the gates and move the throttles into beta just knob width aft and hold the nosewheel off until you cant. Then smoothly move the throttles aft to maybe half reverse. No brakes required and you will be off 3 to 4 thousand feet down the runway. Put the nose down ASAP and get on the brakes while going full reverse and you will be off the runway around 2.5ish.

Oh also, the metro is like an ugly girlfriend, at first you think, why the hell am I doing this. But after a few weeks, you get to know her and the her personality and how to push her buttons at the correct moments to produce the desired results. And she is also jealous, the only time she left me stranded, was right after my beech 99 yearly checkride. I figure she was just upset I was fooling around with another woman.

This thread is an excellent help. Day one of IOE done! Thank you for sharing the knowledge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If your training captain is worth his salt, he'll have be doing no Nose wheel Steering AWI takeoffs by or near check ride time.

Taxiing with "speeds high" is definitely the way to taxi without powered NWS.

You only need to do speeds high if you belong flying a Beech product!

in all seriousness, speeds high is an easier technique to give faster thrust response, just use caution to limit it if the surface is not clean since it will suck quite a bit more fod into the prop.

If your training captain is worth his salt, he'll have be doing no Nose wheel Steering AWI takeoffs by or near check ride time.

Taxiing with "speeds high" is definitely the way to taxi without powered NWS.

You only need to do speeds high if you belong flying a Beech product!

in all seriousness, speeds high is an easier technique to give faster thrust response, just use caution to limit it if the surface is not clean since it will suck quite a bit more fod into the prop.
Indeed. Speeds high was pretty frowned upon when I was in training with the nosewheel steering deferred. KC, who SA227Driver is probably familiar with, went on a 10 minute tirade about it(among other things) during my checkride. :)

Personally, I think the brakes and being gentle and deliberate with the power levers do plenty. But, MOAR noise to everyone on the ramp is a good trolling exercise. :D

Indeed. Speeds high was pretty frowned upon when I was in training with the nosewheel steering deferred. KC, who SA227Driver is probably familiar with, went on a 10 minute tirade about it(among other things) during my checkride. :)

Personally, I think the brakes and being gentle and deliberate with the power levers do plenty. But, MOAR noise to everyone on the ramp is a good trolling exercise. :D

When "spbrian" took over the program he brought along a lot of good changes to how we operated the Tube. The Metros in BUR/ONT had horrible brakes and always one was better than the other that would start taking towards the weeds. Speeds High on a dry surface was great way to keep the momentum. The worst thing you could do is stop and try and get moving again.

When "spbrian" took over the program he brought along a lot of good changes to how we operated the Tube. The Metros in BUR/ONT had horrible brakes and always one was better than the other that would start taking towards the weeds. Speeds High on a dry surface was great way to keep the momentum. The worst thing you could do is stop and try and get moving again.
Yeah, I can see that. Can't say I've had one with bad brakes yet. Even in Puerto Rico! Other than the normal *can't go above 40 torque and stay stationary thing*. :)

Yeah, I can see that. Can't say I've had one with bad brakes yet. Even in Puerto Rico! Other than the normal *can't go above 40 torque and stay stationary thing*. :)

I remember a handful of times operating on contaminated, icy taxiways having to do the NTS check on the taxi out because there wasn't enough friction to hold the airplane in one place safely to do it stationary.

But you guys wouldn't know anything about that cold, white powder stuff down there in PR would you? :)

I remember a handful of times operating on contaminated, icy taxiways having to do the NTS check on the taxi out because there wasn't enough friction to hold the airplane in one place safely to do it stationary.

But you guys wouldn't know anything about that cold, white powder stuff down there in PR would you? :)
We do get ice though! OK, that's not even a noteworthy amount and it would go away after descending 7 feet.
981575_10100671232761255_658685060_o.jpg

The majority of my flight time is from the Midwest. I'm fine with taking a break from that cold crap. :)

How is the NTS check done in the Metro? In the CASA it is done during start. You hold down the NTS check switch during start, and the first 20% during start up the light is out. At around 20% the light comes on indicating the NTS check is complete.

Back