Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

Honest question, and something that's been on my mind: When I'm getting misgendered like that in a sea of dudes with power ties and the same identical suit, how do I know I'm not being judged as a "guy" on the appearance slider and marked as a dirty, unprofessional, long-hair hippie freak?
I have no idea. I will say that the people you speak to during an interview are often 'under the gun' and if they display bias or do anything actionable or intentionally negative with relation to anything personal, that they're probably fired that afternoon from the Pilot Selection team because it's a high-liability position.

I have no idea. I will say that the people you speak to during an interview are often 'under the gun' and if they display bias or do anything actionable or intentionally negative with relation to anything personal, that they're probably fired that afternoon from the Pilot Selection team because it's a high-liability position.
And that’s with the NDA, too.

Where’s the line between that and similarly looking for the pilots that “fit” the culture of the airline. Maybe not negative but if a hiring pilot feels that a certain applicant will cause problems based on how the present around “personal” issues at the interview.

Example - say a trans pilot walks in, sits down and first words are “ I’m a He/she/they etc- you’d better not mess that up” and is clearly confrontational. No can’t deny or take negative action because they are trans, however if you assume every new pairing is going to start that way- there would be problems on the line.

^ to be clear not implying this has happened, just curious what the process/line is for something like that.

Where’s the line between that and similarly looking for the pilots that “fit” the culture of the airline. Maybe not negative but if a hiring pilot feels that a certain applicant will cause problems based on how the present around “personal” issues at the interview.

Example - say a trans pilot walks in, sits down and first words are “ I’m a He/she/they etc- you’d better not mess that up” and is clearly confrontational. No can’t deny or take negative action because they are trans, however if you assume every new pairing is going to start that way- there would be problems on the line.

^ to be clear not implying this has happened, just curious what the process/line is for something like that.

Hasn’t it always been said on here that a big part of an airline interview isn’t whether you are qualified, since if you weren’t you wouldn’t be there. But an interview of whether they’d want to spend a four day trip with said applicant?

Hasn’t it always been said on here that a big part of an airline interview isn’t whether you are qualified, since if you weren’t you wouldn’t be there. But an interview of whether they’d want to spend a four day trip with said applicant?
Pretty much what I’m asking re: protected groups vs culture. Clearly can’t rule them out because some people wouldn’t be ok on a 4 day with a trans pilot- but if you flip it and the trans pilot in the case starts off hostile with cis pilots.

More of a “how do you navigate” than actual scenario I guess

Ehh, that's a hypothetical.

But it'd probably be handled the same way if I said "Hi, I'm Doug, don't call me bro, dude".

Pretty much what I’m asking re: protected groups vs culture. Clearly can’t rule them out because some people wouldn’t be ok on a 4 day with a trans pilot- but if you flip it and the trans pilot in the case starts off hostile with cis pilots.

More of a “how do you navigate” than actual scenario I guess
Having been through numerous interviews (and never again, thank God), I never heard more than two words - and neither of them were gender specific. They were "Bob" and "you,"as in "Bob, how would you answer this ... " There was nothing gender or pronoun specific.

How, specifically, does this become an issue for anyone of any persuasion?

While I'm not much of an example for anything, I've worked with openly gay men and women, two who underwent a sex change, and continue to be friends with each one since my retirement. The job was the job and all that mattered was being competent and trustworthy. No one gave a damn about pronouns; we used names along with the word "you," as in "Hey, Chris, could you ..."

Doesn't seem hard to me, and I'm an old boomer🤷‍♂️

Having been through numerous interviews (and never again, thank God), I never heard more than two words - and neither of them were gender specific. They were "Bob" and "you,"as in "Bob, how would you answer this ... " There was nothing gender or pronoun specific.

How, specifically, does this become an issue for anyone of any persuasion?

While I'm not much of an example for anything, I've worked with openly gay men and women, two who underwent a sex change, and continue to be friends with each one since my retirement. The job was the job and all that mattered was being competent and trustworthy. No one gave a damn about pronouns; we used names along with the word "you," as in "Hey, Chris, could you ..."

Doesn't seem hard to me, and I'm an old boomer🤷‍♂️
Sounds like the OP was being called sir, which I could see easily happening in an interview setting (not the misgendering part, but the use of sir or ma'am).

Sounds like the OP was being called sir, which I could see easily happening in an interview setting (not the misgendering part, but the use of sir or ma'am).
Yes, and in an interview section with more than one person, being referred to as he / him / his.

Back