Networking

C172Flyer

Hello there,

I currently dispatch for a regional, and I have a specific aspiration. While I’m aware of the three main carriers, my dream is to dispatch for the one represented by the red triangle since before I obtained my certificate or started the course. Is there a chance that a dispatcher from that carrier could reach out to me? I have some questions regarding the possibility of arranging a tour of the OCC.

Is Jody/Jodie like an inside joke/term in the industry that I’m not aware of? I saw this name on another DL Thread.

Jodie was the talent recruiter for flight superintendents over at the Widget. All the application updates were from her. From the most recent email it's Samantha now.

1709309215641.png

If you currently dispatch at a regional then you’re probably out of luck at that one. Experienced dispatchers need not apply based on based their previous hiring practices.

You’re already networking, might want to realize that! Every class at a major is filled with people from the regionals. The only ‘inside’ people that are going to try to help you get hired are people who have worked with you in the past and want to again. This would be the people you work with now.

We’ve all had plenty of “friends” ask us to help them get in the door, but we rarely ever do because that’s a pretty big ask. You’re not going to find someone willing to attach their name to you by just online networking.

Make friends, be a good coworker, and show up to work. Your reputation will likely make it to your dream job well before you do. That’s the best advice I can give.

Elaborate please.
Gonna need some too

I made friends with several dispatchers at regionals/LCC and they were able to put in a good word with me at my current major
They’re saying that Delta has only hired DL internals the last 2-3 hiring rounds for over the last year, and are assuming those internals had little to no previous dispatch experience. A few did have previous dispatch experience before they began their initial Delta roles they were hired internally from, but most did not. Delta likes to hire internally and mold those new to dispatch into their ideal dispatchers, doing things “the Delta way”.

Last edited:
You want to go from your current regional to Endeavor as your dream destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you currently dispatch at a regional then you’re probably out of luck at that one. Experienced dispatchers need not apply based on based their previous hiring practices.
This was true 5-6 years ago. Nowadays a regional is a perfectly reasonable path to the widget.

They’re saying that Delta has only hired DL internals the last 2-3 hiring rounds for over the last year, and are assuming those internals had little to no previous dispatch experience. A few did have previous dispatch experience before they began their initial Delta roles they were hired internally from, but most did not. Delta likes to hire internally and mold those new to dispatch into their ideal dispatchers, doing things “the Delta way”.

Delta is trying to save money on fuel and planes refused for maintenance items. Before they hired internals without experience, they hired heavily from manager and supervisory positions. Managers are usually (but not always) company guys and those without experience were handed a high paying job and thus more likely to repay the company by making friendly decisions on a desk.

It makes sense. I get it. The average regional dispatcher is going to be more likely to proactively load up on gas when there is weather and be more conservative with restrictive MEL items. There will no doubt be swings and misses when hiring lots of managers and fresh new dispatchers. But the likelihood is higher of getting the product the company wants.

Delta is trying to save money on fuel and planes refused for maintenance items. Before they hired internals without experience, they hired heavily from manager and supervisory positions. Managers are usually (but not always) company guys and those without experience were handed a high paying job and thus more likely to repay the company by making friendly decisions on a desk.

It makes sense. I get it. The average regional dispatcher is going to be more likely to proactively load up on gas when there is weather and be more conservative with restrictive MEL items. There will no doubt be swings and misses when hiring lots of managers and fresh new dispatchers. But the likelihood is higher of getting the product the company wants.
Tell me you don’t work at delta without telling me you don’t work at delta

Hello there,

I currently dispatch for a regional, and I have a specific aspiration. While I’m aware of the three main carriers, my dream is to dispatch for the one represented by the red triangle since before I obtained my certificate or started the course. Is there a chance that a dispatcher from that carrier could reach out to me? I have some questions regarding the possibility of arranging a tour of the OCC.
did you get the tour set up?

Back