Metro tricks of the trade.

Accept right now that it's not a beechcraft, and all will be well. :)

No really, once you embrace certain oddities(which aren't really that odd), it really is just another airplane. I got used to it at about 40 hours. About the same amount of time in the 99 actually.

My only pointer is that corrections require more input than you think. The controls are pretty heavy. Hopefully it's not on your checkride, but request that your sim instructor gives you a V1 cut with losing the left essential bus. Not likely to happen, but it's good to see. Short of a lion getting loose in the back, that is one of the worst, if not the worst thing that can happen to you in this plane.

Also, go ahead and use the rudder if you run out of aileron authority in turbulence, on final for example.

I'll let the more experienced guys comment further.

Who are you working for?

No really, once you embrace certain oddities(which aren't really that odd), it really is just another airplane. I got used to it at about 40 hours. About the same amount of time in the 99 actually.

My only pointer is that corrections require more input than you think. The controls are pretty heavy. Hopefully it's not on your checkride, but request that your sim instructor gives you a V1 cut with losing the left essential bus. Not likely to happen, but it's good to see. Short of a lion getting loose in the back, that is one of the worst, if not the worst thing that can happen to you in this plane.

Also, go ahead and use the rudder if you run out of aileron authority in turbulence, on final for example.

Who are you working for?

What happens that's so bad when that happens?

Who are you working for?

Hallelujah! And in the freight dog section no less.

Isn't the wing overheat like the worst thing that can happen if it's for real? Like it's basically a wing is about to fall off annunciator?

Isn't the wing overheat like the worst thing that can happen if it's for real? Like it's basically a wing is about to fall off annunciator?
If the fire goes out, not at all. I guess if it was because of a bleed, and you were in icing, that could suck as you would be going single engine. If it doesn't you need to get the thing down. I don't recall how long that Canadian crew flew around with the gear well on fire before they lost the wing. The previous scenario require INSTANT action or you don't climb, and I be properly impressed with someone keeping the dirty side down partial panel at that particular moment while reaching behind them to transfer power

No worries with losing the left essential bus with a left engine failure...all of our planes have been modified to the 'new' standard where the essentials are tied. Left engine failure is now as easy as a right engine failure.

I did one in the sim with the old configuration...how they ever got it certified like that is beyond me.

Enjoy flying one of the few planes that still regularly burns alcohol on takeoff. Do not enjoy the sudden, dramatic, and depressing loss of power when you turn the alcohol off.

Always expect the nosewheel steering to fail at any moment and you'll be golden.

If the fire goes out, not at all. I guess if it was because of a bleed, and you were in icing, that could suck as you would be going single engine. If it doesn't you need to get the thing down. I don't recall how long that Canadian crew flew around with the gear well on fire before they lost the wing. The previous scenario require INSTANT action or you don't climb, and I be properly impressed with someone keeping the dirty side down partial panel at that particular moment while reaching behind them to transfer power

The accident you are thinking about was due to a brake overheat/fire. They departed at 0701 in the morning, and the wing folded while almost in the landing flare at I am guessing 0726. There are a bunch of great reads on this accident and a few others that I would suggest you read.

Fly it like a big aircraft, know power settings for your configuration/airspeed cold, if you do not chase power/airspeed all the time it is a much easier aircraft to fly. Know the electrical system well, always remember flaps and nose wheel steering are powered off of the non-essential bus. Know the aircraft well enough that when you turn a system on you know what indicates that the system is functioning (do not rely solely on annunciator lights as in aircraft of this age, just because a light says something is working does not mean that it truly is working).

There is so much to know, but depending on the company and the training just listen to the instructors take in the information and don't stop at the basic level of knowledge of systems. Dig deeper and truly understand the indications that the aircraft is working properly and how to troubleshoot problems to either fix your self made mistakes or any mechanical issues that happen.

It's a real honest airplane that has never done anything that has surprised me... But it has made me question my sanity level to continue being in one a few times in my 7 years in it.

No worries with losing the left essential bus with a left engine failure...all of our planes have been modified to the 'new' standard where the essentials are tied. Left engine failure is now as easy as a right engine failure.

I did one in the sim with the old configuration...how they ever got it certified like that is beyond me.

Enjoy flying one of the few planes that still regularly burns alcohol on takeoff. Do not enjoy the sudden, dramatic, and depressing loss of power when you turn the alcohol off.
Always expect the nosewheel steering to fail at any moment and you'll be golden.
Pretty much. Two things to help prevent/alleviate an incident with it OP.
-Make sure you have that friction lock as stiff as it will go after bringing the speed levers to the low setting. Movement of an 1/8th of an inch can open the switch for steering. Some speed levers don't say low with the control lock off. All it takes is a couple bumps and wammo, no steering.
-keep your taxi speeds low. Even on a narrow taxiway, you can get the plane stopped with max brakes and reverse before you go off the taxiway. The only reason people have had issues with this at AMF was solely because they were taxiing too fast. Our policy is 15 knots and 20 knots on a wide straight taxiway. Personally, I do 10 if it's narrow or the ramp area. Also, on a windy day, combined with "loose" rudder pedals, the wind will move the rudder without moving the pedals, which will move the nosewheel. Some guys describe the Metro being like a taildragger on a windy day. I've never flown a taildragger, so I couldn't tell you, but this plane moves around more than any other airplane I've flown on a windy day.

In addition, crosswinds can be a bit of a pain. Our policy is not to have the steering engaged above 40 knots. So from 60ish to 40 you might not have any directional control except for brakes and "ninja hands" on the power levers. Some poor rigging on the power levers can make it even more difficult. Not impossible, but it does take some practice. Just don't hesitate to use the powerlever button if you really need it. It won't be smooth, and on slippery surfaces, you might create a new problem though, BUT, it's your best bet if you start losing it. Two things engage the steering by the way, speeds low and the power lever button. Like I said, I felt pretty comfortable in the plane at 40 hours, but this plane still commands respect. It reminds you occasionally. :)

My advice would be to read what spbrian has to say about it, since he's a check airman/dpe for the thing and probably has more hours in it than most on here.

Beyond that- have fun. I really enjoyed flying that turd.

So why do Ameriflight Metros have a black nose?

_BEL2015%20Fairchild%20SA227-AC%20N421MA%20Ameriflight%20right%20rear%20in%20flight%20m.jpg

Back