LX7 vs Car

I'm not 100% sure but I think this sort of high end experimental isn't built in peoples garages or hangars anymore. I'm unsure of the regulations regarding this sort of thing but I think this is the sort of thing where the "builder" shows up at the "kits" manufacturing facility for a period of time and "gets their hands dirty" assembling their trusty steed with the help of the skilled folks who've built and flown a number of these contraptions. If the original "builder" spends the time they get a limited Repairman certificate and are able to do "condition" inspections (it's an annual) and sign it off as airworthy. I highly doubt anyone who actually flies and owns one of the airplanes does not employ the assistance of a qualified mechanic, but there are cowboys trying to save a buck and get into the flight levels at 400 mph, but you never know. It's probably a fine airplane as long as everything is working, I can tell you from experience losing pressurization because of a door seal in a Lear at altitude is very unpleasant for everyone on board. The pressurization system instantly goes into emergency mode and starts just dumping unregulated bleed air into the cabin. It never bothered my ears but it did get very hot very quickly. I wonder what a Lancair IV-P turbine does in the same situation? I recall when we got back on the ground after doing this climb, fail and dive repeatedly and realizing the door seal was the culprit I spied with my jaundiced eye that whoever had recently replaced that door seal had not followed the AMM and did not poke holes in the seal that are required for them to work properly. The guy that installed the seal was my mentor. I ended up having to replace the seals and the airplane stopped having issues. If you've ever flown a 20 or 30 series Lear and wondered why there's holes in the door seal it's because they are not connected to bleed air and they use cabin air to inflate and keep the maelstrom outside from getting in.
Excellent thoughts on the build vs "owner assist" builds and discussing the Limited Repairmen Certificate. Questions as a mechanic:
After you purchase an already built "Experimental" - since you didn't build it you have to have an A&P do the Annuals, maintain the airplane, etc.

1) Would you take on a complex airplane built by someone/or some build shop you weren't intimately familiar with? Like something composite, turbine, retracts, pressurized, etc? Would the juice be worth the squeeze when weighing potential liability vs the amount of income you'd make?

2) Would this answer be different on a Pietenpol/Pitts/Vans/Bearhawk? Something simpler/more conventional?

Excellent thoughts on the build vs "owner assist" builds and discussing the Limited Repairmen Certificate. Questions as a mechanic:
After you purchase an already built "Experimental" - since you didn't build it you have to have an A&P do the Annuals, maintain the airplane, etc.

1) Would you take on a complex airplane built by someone/or some build shop you weren't intimately familiar with? Like something composite, turbine, retracts, pressurized, etc? Would the juice be worth the squeeze when weighing potential liability vs the amount of income you'd make?

2) Would this answer be different on a Pietenpol/Pitts/Vans/Bearhawk? Something simpler/more conventional?
not a mechanic, but you only need an A&P for the annual condition inspection. Any other maintenance doesn’t require a mx certificate on an experimental

glass airplanes arent wildly complex, the piston Lancairs are really just torque tubes and the gear isn’t nearly as complicated as some certified applications but not without weakness.

the composite quality is really on the builder. not really sure what liability a mechanic would assume for the structure beyond typical inspection criteria checking for delamination, I am curious to hear knot’s opinion

I did work on an experimental airplane when I was a much younger man. I never signed off anything other than a MX preflight checklist and if those made their way into the aircrafts permanent record is a mystery. I was part of a team and I knew everyone and we were all working towards a common goal. I would not work on someones complex turbine powered experimental at my age unless I helped build it. I was young and dumb and the stakes were much lower than they are now. I used to work for free to gain experience, those days are long gone unless I find something that lights my fire, some rich dude with a turbine experimental that needs a condition inspection causes more red flags than I care to deal with. The answer is no, I would not sign anything off for an experimental.

Honestly, while I appreciate the apparent craftsmanship that goes into some home builts, buying someone else’s handiwork remains…unappealing.

The video I saw supported the OP. If you have something else, please share.

I believe he was referring to the pilots story to the NTSB that he touched down in the first 500’ and didn’t bounce when in fact he touched down at the halfway point and then bounced. And perhaps the touch and go “to get a look at the field” rather than possibly “I screwed up my first attempt so went around”

Sure, and I do it all the time, but I know my limits and don't bite off more than I can chew. The chances are greater that you are not intimately familiar with the the type, unless a specialized shop, than you being familiar. Even the Vans RV series has differences between builders with choices of powerplants, or avionics. If it is plans built, the sheet metal work should be "standard", but I've seen radical departures from that because the builder knows better than the designer.

Some of those are more popular than others, which is good for experience with the type, but also creates a larger pool of builders that do their own thing. I've even done inspections for builders because they wanted a second set of eyes on it.

I believe he was referring to the pilots story to the NTSB that he touched down in the first 500’ and didn’t bounce when in fact he touched down at the halfway point and then bounced. And perhaps the touch and go “to get a look at the field” rather than possibly “I screwed up my first attempt so went around”
Ohhhhhh……sorry, I’m needing sleep!
Thank you

I am going to do a scratch-build, Lockheed Air Express replica and am going to have Knot and CFI A&P check my work. YOLO!
11343357064_870b96995e_b.jpg

I am going to do a scratch-build, Lockheed Air Express replica and am going to have Knot and CFI A&P check my work. YOLO!
View attachment 75468
If you wanted to build a replica of Mr. Mulligan I might be interested. Didn't your Grandad fly Howards? So simple and still fast for that era...
BCC05449-29EA-4C6A-AD8C-50D1183240AC.jpeg

If you had really deep pockets and an abundance of passion I might join you on the road to a Howard 500, that thing is a monster, it's like an F7F with a cabin. I can say that because I've worked on one...
A4BA3294-1C51-4F8F-B64A-A27194119B5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone that may or may not lurk around here might speak to the DGA-21, I've seen and touched it but I never worked on it. One of our fellow members here was very familiar with the Dickenson family, perhaps he'll add his opinion...
E781F0A1-C61B-499A-B291-F1361897A3DF.jpeg

I remember walking into the hangar and I thought it might be the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

If you wanted to build a replica of Mr. Mulligan I might be interested. Didn't your Grandad fly Howards? So simple and still fast for that era...
View attachment 75492
If you had really deep pockets and an abundance of passion I might join you on the road to a Howard 500, that thing is a monster, it's like an F7F with a cabin. I can say that because I've worked on one...
View attachment 75494
I was at Blakesburg when Jim Younkin brought that Mulligan the year he got it done. I was 11. I was absolutely in awe of the airplane. Harold Neumann was a friend and former co-worker with my grandpa and I grew up knowing him and got my first Monocoupe ride in "Little Mulligan" - his Monocoupe 90 that was painted like Mulligan. So - I was standing there as the crowd gathered after Jim parked and Harold walked up - he didn't have a tear in his eye but it was like he was seeing an old friend looking at the machine. The next day Jim and Harold flew it and Harold rung it out - fly bys had to be over 250mph - and right on the deck. After the last fly by, Harold pulled up into a climb and did a beautiful roll. It was awesome to see the 1935 Thompson Trophy winner reacquainting himself. I got my Mulligan ride and it was by far a better airplane than the DGA-15P my grandpa had. The ailerons were really great and made the -15's feel like you were sawing lumber. And amazing machine. Harold said it was spot-on accurate as a replica. He'd know.

Later that fly-in Bud Dake (Clip-wing Monocoupe owner) and Jim Younkin were talking under Mulligan's wing and Bud told him what they really needed was a 2 place, 450 P&W powered, cross between Mulligan and the Clip-wing Couple. And so Jim started making drawing/parts/cutting metal and Bud Dake, Jim Younkin, and Red Lerille built the three "Mullicoupes" - which rock.

MullicoupeAtVintageAeroMus.jpg

Then there is Bruce Dickenson's (RIP) DGA-21 which is his take on the improved DGA-15 with a 1340 - and since he and his dad before him were the most experienced Howard guys around I expect he made that a REALLY nice airplane.

Someone that may or may not lurk around here might speak to the DGA-21, I've seen and touched it but I never worked on it. One of our fellow members here was very familiar with the Dickenson family, perhaps he'll add his opinion...
View attachment 75497
I remember walking into the hangar and I thought it might be the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.
I think one of the prettiest/coolest airplanes is the Beechcraft Staggerwing. That section was on my “must see” list every time I went to Oshkosh.

(not my photo)

IMG_0272.jpeg

I think one of the prettiest/coolest airplanes is the Beechcraft Staggerwing. That section was on my “must see” list every time I went to Oshkosh.

(not my photo)

View attachment 75498
The Staggerwing deserves to be on the list of the most beautiful airplanes built purely on aesthetics, I'm partial to the fixed gear versions with big wheel pants, I know it's not as efficient but we're talking about a radial powered biplane...
AB85B6C6-A946-4C35-A9AB-CB3F83048176.jpeg

The Staggerwing deserves to be on the list of the most beautiful airplanes built purely on aesthetics, I'm partial to the fixed gear versions with big wheel pants, I know it's not as efficient but we're talking about a radial powered biplane...
View attachment 75501
Beat me to it - the 17R is my favorite Staggerwing. Big Wright power (R975 - 420hp).

Now, it got me thinking - you were all about Mulligan - but if I were going to scratch build - and I think this might even be cooler and significantly easier than the Lockheed Continental Express - I would do either the Beech A17F or A17FS. As a goof, Walter decided to throw in that the 17R was also available with the Wright "Cyclone" - an 1820 of 690hp. He didn't think anyone would take it but it looked cool on the ad I guess. Lo and behold, someone decided "Yes, a stubby, close-coupled taildragger with an insanely big motor is EXACTLY what I want". So:
4589615017_3a448666eb.jpg

R (10).jpg

Then, someone ordered one with a 710hp R1820 and they called that the A17FS
6618L-1.jpg
tumblr_1efa814720edffbe5587f361ec1e5d21_7d532e29_1280.jpg

Howard Hughes ended up with one of the monster Staggs - I think it was the first one. Nobody knows where it is. One of the two crashed I think. There were two 17R's built - the one Knot pictured that's in the Beech museum and there was another one - I think it was crashed in the 30's. And those 4 airplanes are the entirety of Beechcrafts production from 1932-1934. The two monster Staggs were $25k and $30k and the 17R's were like $18k. So that was a big chunk of dough in 1932-34.

Now, for just being a show-off I'd try to:
1) Find, buy, restore Howard Hughes old airplane.
2) Build a replica of the A-17FS

But in reality - I think the 17R would be a much easier to live with, more pleasant to fly airplane. So that would be the smart thing to do. But, I've never let "the smart thing" guide my decisions about airplanes, cars, women or really anything at all.

Beat me to it - the 17R is my favorite Staggerwing. Big Wright power (R975 - 420hp).

Now, it got me thinking - you were all about Mulligan - but if I were going to scratch build - and I think this might even be cooler and significantly easier than the Lockheed Continental Express - I would do either the Beech A17F or A17FS. As a goof, Walter decided to throw in that the 17R was also available with the Wright "Cyclone" - an 1820 of 690hp. He didn't think anyone would take it but it looked cool on the ad I guess. Lo and behold, someone decided "Yes, a stubby, close-coupled taildragger with an insanely big motor is EXACTLY what I want". So:
View attachment 75518
View attachment 75519

Then, someone ordered one with a 710hp R1820 and they called that the A17FS
View attachment 75520View attachment 75521

Howard Hughes ended up with one of the monster Staggs - I think it was the first one. Nobody knows where it is. One of the two crashed I think. There were two 17R's built - the one Knot pictured that's in the Beech museum and there was another one - I think it was crashed in the 30's. And those 4 airplanes are the entirety of Beechcrafts production from 1932-1934. The two monster Staggs were $25k and $30k and the 17R's were like $18k. So that was a big chunk of dough in 1932-34.

Now, for just being a show-off I'd try to:
1) Find, buy, restore Howard Hughes old airplane.
2) Build a replica of the A-17FS

But in reality - I think the 17R would be a much easier to live with, more pleasant to fly airplane. So that would be the smart thing to do. But, I've never let "the smart thing" guide my decisions about airplanes, cars, women or really anything at all.
$1M+taildragger+radial engine+biplane will never = "the smart thing to do". But if that's what will make you happy and your family won't suffer than I say have at it. YOLO. I used to know a guy that took a chance because something lit his fire, he and the airplane he built are legends now.

Last edited:
- NTSB issues the preliminary report into the accident involving a Lancair IV-P Propjet, N751HP, that occurred on November 11, 2023, at Aero Country Airport (T31), McKinney, Texas:

On November 11, 2023, about 1241 central standard time, a RDD Enterprises, LLC, Lancair LX7 airplane, sustained substantial damage when it was involved in an accident near McKinney, Texas. The pilot and passenger were not injured, and an occupant in an automobile sustained minor injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

According to the pilot, while at flight level 250 west of Abilene, Texas, a door seal failed, and the airplane experienced a loss of pressurization. The pilot contacted air traffic control for an immediate descent due to the depressurization. The pilot descended the airplane to 10,000 ft mean sea level and continued the flight to Aero Country Airport (T31), McKinney, Texas. Following the emergency descent, the pilot noted no aircraft systems anomalies. About 5 minutes after establishing cruise flight at 10,000 ft to T31, the pilot noted an amber caution light for the propeller RPM, which was indicating 1,920 RPM. The pilot reduced the propeller RPM to 1,800 and the caution light turned off. The pilot continued the flight to T31.

The pilot reported he had not previously landed at T31 and performed a touch and go landing on runway 17 “to see the field.” The pilot climbed the airplane to the traffic pattern altitude and flew a normal traffic pattern to land on runway 17. During the downwind leg, the pilot pulled back the power lever and the lever ball (see figure 1) came off in his hand. The pilot handed the ball to the passenger and continued the landing at the flight idle power position.

The pilot stated the airplane touched down in the first 500 ft of the runway without a float or a bounce in ground effect, and he immediately “hit [the] brakes gently” and maintained the runway centerline. For about 5 to 10 seconds, the pilot unsuccessfully attempted to move the power lever into beta-reverse. The pilot applied maximum braking; however, the brakes faded and stopping power decreased. The airplane exited the end of the runway, went through an airport perimeter fence, and struck a moving vehicle on a roadway.

Postaccident examination of the airplane revealed substantial damage to the forward fuselage and right wing.

A witness, located on a general aviation ramp on the east side of T31, video recorded the pilot’s landing on his cellular telephone. A review of the video showed the airplane touch down and bounce near the ½ point of the 3,002 ft asphalt runway. All three landing gear came to rest on the runway surface and evidence of braking action (smoke from main landing gear wheels/tires) occurred about 3 seconds later. The wheel/tire smoke continued until the airplane exited the runway surface.

According to the T31 airport manager, who examined the runway surface after the accident, the first visible tire skid marks were about 200 ft past the ½ point of the runway. The skid marks remained visible for about 1,300 ft until the airplane departed the end of the asphalt surface. The airplane continued 14 ft to the perimeter fence and then traveled 93 ft before contacting a moving automobile in a roadway.

- Report:
I'm even more confused why he decided on a tiny residential strip surrounded by houses instead of the numerous fantastic options nearby with nice big runways and much better services. If he did a touch and go he could've gone another 15ish miles to McKinney. He flew past even better options with Alliance and Denton.

I'm even more confused why he decided on a tiny residential strip surrounded by houses instead of the numerous fantastic options nearby with nice big runways and much better services. If he did a touch and go he could've gone another 15ish miles to McKinney. He flew past even better options with Alliance and Denton.
The throttle knob fell off. Duh!

Back