LX7 vs Car

IMG_3572.jpeg

"His reverse thrust wasn't working"

Ah yes, because planes that large need every bit of reverse thrust to stop. :sarcasm:😂

Lancair IV-P turbine, apparently had a pressurization issue at 25,000' and the pilot had obvious issues on his second attempt to land. That's a pretty radical airplane, or I should say, it was a pretty radical airplane. I hope the next guy figures out the pressurization and remembers short field landings and beta. No one was hurt and someone's getting a new car.

That is a pretty well unobstructed, 3000 ft runway. I'd think that Lancair would be able to get down and stopped in that distance.

That is a pretty well unobstructed, 3000 ft runway. I'd think that Lancair would be able to get down and stopped in that distance.
Yea must've been coming in way to hot or some sort of brake failure.... Without an engine issue not sure why you'd circle down to a small 3000ft residential strip with DTO and TKI GYI fairly close by. No idea of the circumstances though.

Yea must've been coming in way to hot or some sort of brake failure.... Without an engine issue not sure why you'd circle down to a small 3000ft residential strip with DTO and TKI GYI fairly close by. No idea of the circumstances though.

There was another video from the vantage point of the where the plane came to rest looking down the runway. Tires were locked up, smoking and a slight yaw as it was skidding towards the fence. At that time is when the video stops, I imagine the videographer realized they’re about to be in danger and beat feet.

- NTSB issues the preliminary report into the accident involving a Lancair IV-P Propjet, N751HP, that occurred on November 11, 2023, at Aero Country Airport (T31), McKinney, Texas:

On November 11, 2023, about 1241 central standard time, a RDD Enterprises, LLC, Lancair LX7 airplane, sustained substantial damage when it was involved in an accident near McKinney, Texas. The pilot and passenger were not injured, and an occupant in an automobile sustained minor injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

According to the pilot, while at flight level 250 west of Abilene, Texas, a door seal failed, and the airplane experienced a loss of pressurization. The pilot contacted air traffic control for an immediate descent due to the depressurization. The pilot descended the airplane to 10,000 ft mean sea level and continued the flight to Aero Country Airport (T31), McKinney, Texas. Following the emergency descent, the pilot noted no aircraft systems anomalies. About 5 minutes after establishing cruise flight at 10,000 ft to T31, the pilot noted an amber caution light for the propeller RPM, which was indicating 1,920 RPM. The pilot reduced the propeller RPM to 1,800 and the caution light turned off. The pilot continued the flight to T31.

The pilot reported he had not previously landed at T31 and performed a touch and go landing on runway 17 “to see the field.” The pilot climbed the airplane to the traffic pattern altitude and flew a normal traffic pattern to land on runway 17. During the downwind leg, the pilot pulled back the power lever and the lever ball (see figure 1) came off in his hand. The pilot handed the ball to the passenger and continued the landing at the flight idle power position.

The pilot stated the airplane touched down in the first 500 ft of the runway without a float or a bounce in ground effect, and he immediately “hit [the] brakes gently” and maintained the runway centerline. For about 5 to 10 seconds, the pilot unsuccessfully attempted to move the power lever into beta-reverse. The pilot applied maximum braking; however, the brakes faded and stopping power decreased. The airplane exited the end of the runway, went through an airport perimeter fence, and struck a moving vehicle on a roadway.

Postaccident examination of the airplane revealed substantial damage to the forward fuselage and right wing.

A witness, located on a general aviation ramp on the east side of T31, video recorded the pilot’s landing on his cellular telephone. A review of the video showed the airplane touch down and bounce near the ½ point of the 3,002 ft asphalt runway. All three landing gear came to rest on the runway surface and evidence of braking action (smoke from main landing gear wheels/tires) occurred about 3 seconds later. The wheel/tire smoke continued until the airplane exited the runway surface.

According to the T31 airport manager, who examined the runway surface after the accident, the first visible tire skid marks were about 200 ft past the ½ point of the runway. The skid marks remained visible for about 1,300 ft until the airplane departed the end of the asphalt surface. The airplane continued 14 ft to the perimeter fence and then traveled 93 ft before contacting a moving automobile in a roadway.

- Report:

Good job coming up with a neat story. Too bad there is contradictory video evidence to suggest otherwise.

@Boris Badenov - you've talked about getting something like this pressurized, turbine Lancair. I dig that impulse. A plastic plane that burns jet fuel and is fast and can go high has some appeal. Having been raised around antiques and homebuilts - one thing people a lot wiser than me have imparted is to be REAL confident about the building skills of the person you're buying a homebuilt from. Particularly the more complex they are. A Pietenpol or a Pitts or similar is one thing - pretty easy to ascertain the materials and the airplane and workmanship. These more complex things - and particularly the composite (I think that process is not exactly as easy as rag/wood/dope/fabric - and the quality of the build may not be readily apparent?) - this thing sounds like a real POS - multiple squawks and the throttle comes off in the guys hand landing. I'd probably go with a Swearingen SX-300 or a Questair Venture - metal, big recips and they go real fast. YMMV.

@Boris Badenov - you've talked about getting something like this pressurized, turbine Lancair. I dig that impulse. A plastic plane that burns jet fuel and is fast and can go high has some appeal. Having been raised around antiques and homebuilts - one thing people a lot wiser than me have imparted is to be REAL confident about the building skills of the person you're buying a homebuilt from. Particularly the more complex they are. A Pietenpol or a Pitts or similar is one thing - pretty easy to ascertain the materials and the airplane and workmanship. These more complex things - and particularly the composite (I think that process is not exactly as easy as rag/wood/dope/fabric - and the quality of the build may not be readily apparent?) - this thing sounds like a real POS - multiple squawks and the throttle comes off in the guys hand landing. I'd probably go with a Swearingen SX-300 or a Questair Venture - metal, big recips and they go real fast. YMMV.
I'm not 100% sure but I think this sort of high end experimental isn't built in peoples garages or hangars anymore. I'm unsure of the regulations regarding this sort of thing but I think this is the sort of thing where the "builder" shows up at the "kits" manufacturing facility for a period of time and "gets their hands dirty" assembling their trusty steed with the help of the skilled folks who've built and flown a number of these contraptions. If the original "builder" spends the time they get a limited Repairman certificate and are able to do "condition" inspections (it's an annual) and sign it off as airworthy. I highly doubt anyone who actually flies and owns one of the airplanes does not employ the assistance of a qualified mechanic, but there are cowboys trying to save a buck and get into the flight levels at 400 mph, but you never know. It's probably a fine airplane as long as everything is working, I can tell you from experience losing pressurization because of a door seal in a Lear at altitude is very unpleasant for everyone on board. The pressurization system instantly goes into emergency mode and starts just dumping unregulated bleed air into the cabin. It never bothered my ears but it did get very hot very quickly. I wonder what a Lancair IV-P turbine does in the same situation? I recall when we got back on the ground after doing this climb, fail and dive repeatedly and realizing the door seal was the culprit I spied with my jaundiced eye that whoever had recently replaced that door seal had not followed the AMM and did not poke holes in the seal that are required for them to work properly. The guy that installed the seal was my mentor. I ended up having to replace the seals and the airplane stopped having issues. If you've ever flown a 20 or 30 series Lear and wondered why there's holes in the door seal it's because they are not connected to bleed air and they use cabin air to inflate and keep the maelstrom outside from getting in.

Back