Letter of Disapproval, MEI ride, bummer

Well i passed my MEI ride today :nana2:. It was easy but long. we started the oral again at 830 am and did not finish the flight until 2pm. I swear he had to fail me. No matter what he was going to fail meat a quota. I know i should of known the V speeds but today there were many things i thought he was gonna fail me on for not knowing but he did not say a word and during the debrief he said everything was fine.

There is a debate about this about weather or not the examiners need to keep a certain pass fail rate. If an examiner passes every one no mater how good of pilots they were then people start getting suspicious. Not saying i did not deserve the disapproval on Friday but i thought, on the checkride on friday, he was grilling me a lot harder than today. It seemed like today he wanted to pass me vs friday he wanted to fail me. Case in point. During one of the engine out demos i forgot to grab a check list. When i started to recover he said "and you would of course pull out the checklist and go over the emergency section." and i said "yes of corse".
I also forgot to do clearing turns before our power stall and he did not say a word. i just thought it was strange. Maybe he was in a crappy mood on friday and a good mood today. I'm not sure. oh well. I got the ticket in had and i aint going to let it expire because i'm NOT going through that again :D.

-Matt

I just ask before doing the clearing turn... most of the time they say 'nah its alright, we already did it once'

what was some stuff ya thought he would fail you on, but didn't?

forgot to take out the checklist after running a scan during an engine out.
he simply said "of course in a real engine out situation, at altitude, you would be pulling out the checklist and going over it?" I answered, "Of course"
Took off in a tail wind, twice.
lost 200 feet of altitude during single engine landing in the pattern.

During the make up oral is said something stupid that made the examiner say "Oh wait, before we go fly we have to talk about runway signs and markings"

I was like oh crap i just dug my self a grave. I did fine on the easy ones (black letter with a yellow background or yellow letter with a black background) but then he showed me a red sign that had black letters that said "15 Approach"

I completely forgot what that meant.
I said "If its red you need to hold short and you need clearance to cross but i'm not sure what the sign means"

He said "ok well what does this mean." I thought i had failed the oral again. He Pointed to two parallel yellow lines with boxes in-between.

I said "well thats the ILS hold short line"

Then he said "Right! now what does this mean?", pointing back to the "15 Approach" sign.

I than said "oh, thats the ILS hold short line sign"

He said "right"

He then showed me a sign with diagonal, alternating black and yellow stripes. and asked me what it meant.

I looked and thought, great i'm going to fail the oral again. I had never seen that sign before in my life. I fumbled around and stalled just waiting for him to disapprove and finally I just said that i had no idea and i've never seen it before. He than said that he did not expect me to know that because it was a pretty obscure sign. He showed me the answer on the back of the card and it said that it was an end of taxi-way marker or what ever. Then he said, "lets go fly"

I was not going to argue so we flew.

When we got back in the room he said "well do you want a pink slip or a white slip?"

I laughed and said "I'd love a white one!"

I hate to be that guy, but if you're going into an MEI checkride and you don't know all the V-Speeds on your airplane, you can't expect to pass. Even if you don't "use" a certain v-speed for whatever reason, all v-speeds are an absolute given.

But, you've learned and you move on. As said before, a lot of people fail the initial.

I hate to be that guy, but if you're going into an MEI checkride and you don't know all the V-Speeds on your airplane, you can't expect to pass. Even if you don't "use" a certain v-speed for whatever reason, all v-speeds are an absolute given.

But, you've learned and you move on. As said before, a lot of people fail the initial.

I'm sure the point has been taken. Was trying to end the thread on an up note ;)

Congrats! MEI as an initial must be pretty tough! Don't worry about making a couple of mistakes on your re-take. I've had 7 checkrides, and there was always something they could've busted me on. Nobody has a perfect checkride.

Kind of funny. At the end of the checkride we had not done the V1 cut yet so the examiner said "I've got the plane" and then he proceeded to ask for the option on the ground.

The tower was like, "I don't understand. Once your in the air you can request the option. cleared for take off."

The examiner said "I just want the option"

the tower then said "sir you have to be in the air to request the option"

I almost laughed.

The tower said, "Are you requesting a high speed taxi?".

The examiner said "Yah we are requesting high speed taxi for a engine out v1 cut."

After the Tower cleared us across the hold short line, the examiner told me that we did not have to request high speed taxi because it's part of the option and the tower should learn how to do their job. I just nodded, did the V1 cut and passed.

Not to do the whole: " i walked in the snow barefoot. uphill, both ways" but just feel lucky that y'all dont have to do the 2-day test I did to get my board certification for rehab medicine. I had to go to the MAIN Mayo clinic in MN and be grilled from 8am-4pm for two days in a row. Thank god all the re-certs are multiple choice tests every 10 years......

Checkride's over no more questions please :D. Hopefully i can retain all the info i just crammed into my brain. Got my single engine add-ons next week. Time to get the Chandelle's, Lazy 8's, and Eights on Pylons down. I also get to fly with the flight school owner's alter ego "Richard", the crazy student, until he is comfortable with my teaching/recovery skills. I will be teaching "Richard" slow flight and he will have this huge grin on his face and say, "Oh i think my house is under the wing" and stomp on the rudder, pull up, and put us in a spin. I can just tell he love to mess with new CFI's. It's fun though and i'm having a blast.

Checkride's over no more questions please :D.

Not a question; just food for thought, and I'll put it mildly. Remember how much performance you're guaranteed on one engine in a light twin? ;) Do I hear "none"? Kinda makes the whole "V1" discussion moot.

Not a question; just food for thought, and I'll put it mildly. Remember how much performance you're guaranteed on one engine in a light twin? ;) Do I hear "none"? Kinda makes the whole "V1" discussion moot.

Yah i know what you mean. Sorry i used the wrong lingo. A V1 cut is a speed before rotate, that once reached, if you lose an engine you are still taking off. I've never flow a plane with this. Because we have no performance on one engine, our system goes as follows. lose and engine gear down on the runway kill the power maintain directional control. Lose engine gear down after rotate, power back, full flaps, pitch down and land. Lose an engine gear up, secure, feather, go around. Also company rule is, we don't cut an engine on purpose above 30 kts on ground roll and we also dong cut one on below 500ft agl.

Sorry for the goof up

-Matt

No worries...but the thought of V1 on a DA-42 just made me giggle.

Well with the whole Theilert debacle, they should put two little turbo props in that 42. That would be SWEET. it would not be pressurized but it would haul. With turbo props i'll bet it would have a V1 cut.

Down at sea level, the Lycs will be almost as good...33% increase in HP. That thing will freakin' blast off.

Well with the whole Theilert debacle, they should put two little turbo props in that 42. That would be SWEET. it would not be pressurized but it would haul. With turbo props i'll bet it would have a V1 cut.

That's already been thought up:
Polar742 said:
stick some Allison 250's on the plastic plane.
http://forums.jetcareers.com/genera...y-a-twin-star-what-to-do-about-teilert-2.html

So, with the right amount of $$$, I'll be happy to sell the idea. :bandit:

Yah i remember that thread. I think i started it. I think i was the first one to come up with the idea:p. But i'll split the cash with you :D. just kidding. Now i think it would be awesome. Honestly i think it would be cool. You could build multi and turbine time. The thing already is set up for FADEC. The cost is one thing. How much do those small turbo props cost? what do they cost to operate? what is maintenance like? or is it just unrealistic. Are there any small turbo prop twins besides like a King Air 90 (not really small, but thats the smallest turbo prop twin i could think of). I know there are small turbo prop singles though. Any reason why there are not light turbo prop twins? Is it just because a turbo prop is so powerful that they will have all the power they will ever need on one? just curious i'm pretty new to aviation.

ask for the option on the ground.

I negotiated over the telephone with tower for a ground-based version of the option. We agreed to call it a "departure option". But it basically was a request to be able to fail the student's engine on the departure leg, with the resulting poor climb rate and pattern size. It became common phraseology at our airport, so your examiner wouldn't have looked like a complete fool.

Back