Lessons Learned - Army Rotor to Airlines - A question and a Recommendation

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
Background - 3000 TT, 900 ME piston, about 1500 FW and1500 Turbine Rotor - 20 Year Army Officer.

I'm going to retire from the Army National Guard (full-time) this year and have pursuing airline opportunities. I was really hoping my military training and experience combined with my part 135 FW experience would make me competitive with the Majors, specifically, Delta. I signed up with a company called Mil2ATP to get my ATP written and practical knocked out. They partner with Delta Air Lines who runs their own CTP program at Delta World HQ in Atlanta, and then they knock out the practical at their facility in North Carolina. Right up front, Mil2ATP is hands down THE BEST civilian flight school I've ever worked with. They are absolutely perfect for military pilots who meet Major Airlines minimums.

I'm at the CTP course right now in Atlanta and Delta does a terrific job with the program. Besides the regular FAA mandated curricula, they add in Delta specific procedures and operations. The FTDs and Simulators are of course all Delta sims instructed by Delta instructors. I'll be doing my sims in a 777 which I'm very nerdily excited about.

Unfortunately, the training department at Delta made it very clear my turbine helicopter experience wouldn't qualify me for an interview and the stated mins of 1000 FW turbine were pretty solid. They said that the unofficial 100 hours in the last 6 months was negotiable for military pilots, but the 1000 FW turbine was solid.

Through this transition, I've received INVALUABLE assistance from someone I won't name unless he or she outs themselves - but I wouldn't even be thinking about retiring this year year and pursuing an airline career if it wasn't for this person. No matter what, they've motivated me to start down a path that will give me a better quality of life. I will point out this person is still going to bat for me with Delta - and I thank you.

The recommendation: Mil2ATP. https://mil2atp.com/ These guys are awesome for transitioning military fixed wing turbine pilots. PM me for info.

The question: I hit submit on airline apps this morning for Endeavor. I got an interview invite email this afternoon. I only found one gouge from 2017 - anyone have anything additional current about their interview process?

Edit to add: I realize how arrogant it may seem to current regional pilots that a military pilot might expect a Major interview right away. I fully understand the struggles many are having getting on with a Major.

Last edited:
Airline pilot central forum is IMO a bit better about stuff like that than jet careers. Make no mistake, there's a lot of pretty ridiculous posturing from some of those guys in different forums, but they seem pretty legit on info put out AS WELL AS regional threads with gouge info or POCs for they type of info

BTW, congrats

Background - 3000 TT, 900 ME piston, about 1500 FW and1500 Turbine Rotor - 20 Year Army Officer.

I'm going to retire from the Army National Guard (full-time) this year and have pursuing airline opportunities. I was really hoping my military training and experience combined with my part 135 FW experience would make me competitive with the Majors, specifically, Delta. I signed up with a company called Mil2ATP to get my ATP written and practical knocked out. They partner with Delta Air Lines who runs their own CTP program at Delta World HQ in Atlanta, and then they knock out the practical at their facility in North Carolina. Right up front, Mil2ATP is hands down THE BEST civilian flight school I've ever worked with. They are absolutely perfect for military pilots who meet Major Airlines minimums.

I'm at the CTP course right now in Atlanta and Delta does a terrific job with the program. Besides the regular FAA mandated curricula, they add in Delta specific procedures and operations. The FTDs and Simulators are of course all Delta sims instructed by Delta instructors. I'll be doing my sims in a 777 which I'm very nerdily excited about.

Unfortunately, the training department at Delta made it very clear my turbine helicopter experience wouldn't qualify me for an interview and the stated mins of 1000 FW turbine were pretty solid. They said that the unofficial 100 hours in the last 6 months was negotiable for military pilots, but the 1000 FW turbine was solid.

Through this transition, I've received INVALUABLE assistance from someone I won't name unless he or she outs themselves - but I wouldn't even be thinking about retiring this year year and pursuing an airline career if it wasn't for this person. No matter what, they've motivated me to start down a path that will give me a better quality of life. I will point out this person is still going to bat for me with Delta - and I thank you.

The recommendation: Mil2ATP. https://mil2atp.com/ These guys are awesome for transitioning military fixed wing turbine pilots. PM me for info.

The question: I hit submit on airline apps this morning for Endeavor. I got an interview invite email this afternoon. I only found one gouge from 2017 - anyone have anything additional current about their interview process?

First of all, congrats on retiring and a successful career in the Army.

I can tell you right away that you'll be able to walk into Endeavor no problem what so ever. Know your basic ifr, weather, "Everything Explained" trivia for that portion of the interview. For the HR portion, think about scenarios where the captain did something that wasn't 100% right or truthful to passengers, and how you'd challenge that. There seems to always be some question asking how to respectfully challenge a captain. Have a good reason why you want to work here, etc.

It's a very straightforward interview, flight to and hotel in MSP paid for. Let me know if you have any other questions about the operation. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

PS I used the free aviation interviews website to prepare a couple years ago, worked like a charm.

Have you looked at Atlas?

As a career stop I wouldn't recommend this place at the moment...I also don't know if the rotor time is a problem here. But I will say I think all but one of the military guys that were in my class 1.5 years have moved on to better places. Great place to get that 1,000 hours while napping too.

It's pretty common now to fly at the regionals with military guys just trying to get current and get some 121 time to round out their resume. My company in particular seems to attract a lot because without any type of hiring agreement, they don't have to possibly wait in line to get called. The pay isn't great but most military guys can make it work between Tri-care and their pensions. Most fixed wing military guys are here for about 6-8 months and helo guys about 13-16 months. Not sure how the Endeavor agreement works but make sure you won't have to wait til your seniority gets called for an interview.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Atlas?

As a career stop I wouldn't recommend this place at the moment...I also don't know if the rotor time is a problem here. But I will say I think all but one of the military guys that were in my class 1.5 years have moved on to better places. Great place to get that 1,000 hours while napping too.

Thanks. Looks like Atlas wants 500 turbine so they are probably out.

It's pretty common now to fly at the regionals with military guys just trying to get current and get some 121 time to round out their resume. My company in particular seems to attract a lot because without any type of hiring agreement, they don't have to possibly wait in line to get called. The pay isn't great but most military guys can make it work between Tri-care and their pensions. Most fixed wing military guys are here for about 6-8 months and helo guys about 13-16 months. Not sure how the Endeavor agreement works but make sure you won't have to wait til your seniority gets called for an interview.

Thanks. By agreement I think you're talking about the DGI program? Looks like you don't have to wait for the guaranteed interview if you get one by yourself.

Thanks. Looks like Atlas wants 500 turbine so they are probably out.

I'd at least throw your name in. That said, I've heard they have been interviewing for "Atlas" and then offering class dates at Southern. Do not do that. Plus, if you become seriously interested talk to one of us currently there so we can ensure you know what you are getting into.

I'd at least throw your name in. That said, I've heard they have been interviewing for "Atlas" and then offering class dates at Southern. Do not do that. Plus, if you become seriously interested talk to one of us currently there so we can ensure you know what you are getting into.

Awesome, thank you so much!

@MikeFavinger

Also, did the info you posted above from Delta training come from an official part of the CTP program, or did you seek them out to ask the question yourself?

I sought them out and asked myself. The head of the program who is tied in with pilot selection was the one who told me not to bother without 1000 turbine FW.

@MikeFavinger - am I insane or have I read on this very forum that JetBlue valued rotor/military time in ways that other airlines haven't?

Thanks. By agreement I think you're talking about the DGI program? Looks like you don't have to wait for the guaranteed interview if you get one by yourself.

This is true.

Since you paid for your own CTP, there isn't a length of time you have to stay at Endeavor.

Last edited:
Go fly Corporate for a couple of years, get that turbine and jeeeeeeet time and then move on to airlines if that's your goal. Stay in touch with Delta the entire time so they know your name.

Go fly Corporate for a couple of years, get that turbine and jeeeeeeet time and then move on to airlines if that's your goal. Stay in touch with Delta the entire time so they know your name.
'No way' on corporate IMO. Go duck into a regional for a little while and youll fly more and faster and have more marketable time for a major than if you go corporate.

Back