Legal ramifications of majors not hiring "connection" carrier pilots

Eh, don't know about that. I will go out on a limb and say if the average pilot interviews at a major carrier without preparing, more often than not they would not get the job. One of the first questions you are likely to get asked is 'what did you do to prepare for this interview?' 'Um, nothing' isn't what they want to hear.

I think that's fair but the answer does not have to be formal interview prep. Just as long as you make it clear to them you've put your all into being ready for today. And Alec is right, not everyone is able to do 100% without some assistance.

In my opinion, if you have to (or can) prepare for an interview, then that interview is likely a poor assesment.

-Fox

I understand what you're saying and I agree to some extent but big airlines that literally have hundreds of applicants coming through have to find some standard way of doing things. That way their interviewers can all follow the same process and be fair about it. Like it or not, it's the process that every single major airline uses.

I didn't do any prep beyond reading a little 'gouge' on the knowledge testing that was floating around that didn't really help that much because I already knew the material somewhat, except for the crazy questions about radials, DME and something else, I don't remember.

Someone buy me a beer and I'll tell you what the proctor told me that day! Offline. :)

I think interview prep is good for those who are just clueless or don't know what socially acceptable might be in a group setting. After my interview we as a pilot group talked it over and I was just horrified at what some of the things guys were saying they answered with for their interview questions.

Cases in point:

ANY story in which one refers to himself as "the white pilot" , when explaining flying in the Islands in the south, is going to go bad very quickly.

In the group interview, when they say just be yourself, we know the gouge is out there but we aren't going to follow out, just be you, we just want to get to know you..... and then they proceed to do something that you did read online in the gouge..... and then you state out out loud: "I thought you said we weren't going to follow the gouge!" and getting the stare from the Chief Pilot............ you may have as well have just picked all your crap up and walked out of the interview room. Because everything from that point on was helpless for you. I mean seriously, WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!?!!?

When the interviewer asks, as the last question, "Suppose we got word today from the higher management that out of the 11 of you today, we can only hire 1. Why should that be you?" What they are really asking for is a last chance question to basically sell yourself, but without putting anyone else down. So when an applicant responds, "I would tell them that we have to hire everyone here, because all 11 are really great people and good candidates." And they nod in agreement and say, "Yes, we agree, but if we could only take one, why you?" And you still stick with your guns of, "I'd hire everyone." That's probably not going well for you.

All 3 of the people were not hired. 2 of those happened in the group interview portion so I heard it first hand. The last one I heard from an applicant in the 1-on-3 interview panel (the individual portion). I'm sure that question wasn't what did him in, but a culmination.

I didn't do any interview prep from companies. The only thing I have is Cheryl Cage's interivew prep guide, which basically explains the SAR format and a 2-3 minute response tops.

So when I was asked, "where do you see yourself in 10 years." Prep courses would tell you exactly what they want....... but being the innocent me, said exactly what was on my mind at the time (along with my wife). That we had been married and renting all this time, and that 10 years from now I could see us closing on a home we could call ours, and start a family and have a little one around. And then I paused and realized what they really wanted as far as the intent of that question, and I told them that this company is wonderful, wins awards, seems to have a good future, and everyone enjoys working here, so I hope to achieve those things during my time here with your company." They seemed happy enough with that answer.

As for that last question of only being able to hire 1 out of 11, I didn't do any prep on it, but I did realize the intent of the question. So I first acknowledged that all 11 of us seem to be a great group of people, and I think all of them should be given a fair and equal chance for consideration. Then I took the risky self-defeat method by saying that I realize I was the youngest of the group and the only one without TPIC, and if going strictly on that alone then I probably wouldn't be the recommended candidate. And then I continued with basically a 'what I can do is highlight what I can bring to the company' and then made a few highlights about my background and education that I hoped would be enough. Plus I told them (again, honestly, even if the average pilot doesn't agree), that for me personally the job doesn't start or end with the flight deck door open or shut. That at the regional, I would help (time permitting) with the seat belts and passengers with their bags, etc, and that my customer-service orientation is really in line with what this company stands for.

I was hired.

And I wasn't dishonest about anything. I'll be starting 5th year pay in 2 months, did close on a place we call home now, and we have a little one (boy).

20+ years ago, I was told of a guy who wasn't hired at United even though he was "Ace of the base," and an allround "nice" guy. The one thing he failed to do was make eye contact with the female HR rep in the room. He was verbose and relaxed talking to the pilots, but when she asked him a question, he would answer it, but never look at her. The conclusion was, he had issues with females in positions of authority. Up to that point, he was a shoo in.

To this day, he most likely has no idea why he was never hired. This was told to me by one of the captains in the interview, and what interview prep can expose.

Reminds of me my last CA I just flew with. Hell of a nice guy. But somehow politics came up. Him, not me. I couldn't really stop the conversation other than just go "uh huh" and nod the head. He goes, "we can't have Hillary as the President. No way. We just can't. Do you wanna know why?"

So I said, "why" but not in a serious tone "why." I said it in a tone that was like, so-tell-me-how-you-really-feel-bro.

Inside I was thinking he was going to go off on Benghazi or something. His response...... "Because she's a woman. No way, we can't have a woman bein President."

There were great pilots at my commuter but I will definitely say the quality of employees at mainline far exceeds that at my commuter in terms of soft skills. I flew with a lot of lifers at AWAC and only two stick out in my mind as guys that were at that same level.

Back