Lear 45 tips and tricks

gotWXdagain

Polished Member
The searchbot just came up with job postings. At any rate, seems I’ve lucked into a slot at FSI Tucson in May, I’m excited and a little nervous as I haven’t had a true training event in the last 6 years (Part 135 instructor will do that to you) and this will be my first type. Can I get some advice from the vets in the plane and what I can expect on a trip to FSI?

Congrats on the new gig! There is a thread in tech talk discussing the Lear.

Feel free to PM me or ask in the thread. I'm the Standard's Captain in the 45 at my company and I'm happy to help out however I can.

Weren't you flying a 45 @Roger Roger
He’s already reached out to me!

Great airplane. Loved flying it. More reliable than a legacy Lear but that’s not saying much. Supremely capable at the mission we used it for. Systems are straightforward from a pilot interaction standpoint. The EICAS though a little rudimentary is great. APU is life changing. Some oddities to the FMS but once you learn to think in Universal it’s easy (except vectors to an RNAV approach which isn’t hard but just annoying). Straight to 400/410 every time, will do MMO up to 450 if you’re a little lighter on fuel. Carbon brakes are superb. We used to do a 4000’ runway but a couple people got too gunshy. Easy to land well but not as easy to get a greaser as the -12.

FSI TUS is fine, though the ground instructors probably haven’t flown the plane and the sim instructors are a good ol boys club of doubly retired USAF/SWA dudes. Also if you’ve previously used DFW the facility will seem sort of ghetto

The searchbot just came up with job postings. At any rate, seems I’ve lucked into a slot at FSI Tucson in May, I’m excited and a little nervous as I haven’t had a true training event in the last 6 years (Part 135 instructor will do that to you) and this will be my first type. Can I get some advice from the vets in the plane and what I can expect on a trip to FSI?
Congrats!

Nice plane. Better wings, better gear and better avionics than those it succeeds... while retaining all the Lear svelte. Much less neutrally stable than the early birds. The cockpit is still a tad tight, but the flying experience is much easier than the earlier Lears.

Enjoy while you can! Very sad, but I fear the Lears aren't long for the world.

I think @SteveC is currently flying them.

Activate Navigate Intercept Approach.

Descending through 12,000, power idle, and 1800fpm descent will put you at 250kts at 10,000 every time. 1500fpm down with anti ice on. Was a standards captain for a few years at the same shop as @SteveC and still remember quite a few things even though I’ve moved on this past year.

jetU for me was just the Level C CRJ-200 sim. Thankfully I never did their Private/Inst/Comm/ME program.

I'm going by previous commentary on JC about southeast FL operators and by accident history, reports.

Other people will probably tell you “sync off flaps 8”. I personally went with “sync off hyd on gear down before landing check”. Don’t know how standardized your shop is.

Learjet 45, my first jet in...

LONG LIVE MEIGS FIELD!!!!

1.png

Lose weight or make sure you don't gain any, I don't have any recommendations as to how, it's a small airplane and your pax will see you scooting back up into the cockpit after you shut the door and tell them to sit down and buckle up. If you barely fit through the forward bulkheads they'll notice.

Lose weight or make sure you don't gain any, I don't have any recommendations as to how, it's a small airplane and your pax will see you scooting back up into the cockpit after you shut the door and tell them to sit down and buckle up. If you barely fit through the forward bulkheads they'll notice.

Most of them will likely be heavily sedated

Back