Lear 45 tips and tricks

Pedantically; receiving “validation” from test pilots and engineers \= consulting Bombardier.
C'mon, it's ALL paperwork these days! YOU know that. If you don't, maybe you need a refresher course. :)

One time, at band camp, I told the DOM that I wasn't going to fly the airplane 'cause the wings weren't attached. Mx Mgt replied that the paperwork said the wings were attached.

And then, much like I do around this venue all too often, I said, "No! No yer never gonna get it."

View: https://youtu.be/JIuYQ_4TcXg&t=8

Last edited:
Pedantically; receiving “validation” from test pilots and engineers \= consulting Bombardier.

It does say “from Learjet.” Reading interview articles back in the day, they actually did work with Bombardier. I think we are just arguing semantics, but for 1999 these were impressive graphics and functionality for a Flight Sim program, especially when you compare it to other programs available at the time. Eg, Pro Flight 99. FS 2000 blew it out of the water.

It does say “from Learjet.” Reading interview articles back in the day, they actually did work with Bombardier. I think we are just arguing semantics, but for 1999 these were impressive graphics and functionality for a Flight Sim program, especially when you compare it to other programs available at the time. Eg, Pro Flight 99. FS 2000 blew it out of the water.
Yes, they were.

Still, then and now... A PC-based stimulator program does not teach anyone anything about any of the things that really matter in flying a real airplane.

If they do, it is in precisely the same way that scoring relatively high (compared to the other basement-dwelling scrows) on an iPhone F1 racing app teaches one how to be an actual, real-life F1 driver.

What's next? The malnourished, McD-fed troglodytes who play FIFA World Cup on their underground computers become real world soccer champs?

Last edited:
I have no idea of the Lear startup sequence. But compared to 1999, I assume you’re impressed with this? In terms of buttons, functionality.

Sim are insane now. I grew up in the FS98, FS2000, and FS 2002 era.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ima0DWrbH9I&pp=ygUgbGVhcmpldCA0NSBmbGlnaHQgc2ltdWxhdG9yIDIwMjA%3D
“Buttons and functionality”? Ok I guess.

Procedures…not even close.

IMG_0251.png
IMG_0252.png
IMG_0253.png
IMG_0254.png
IMG_0255.png
IMG_0256.png

See just above, bro.

One does not become a pilot by playing video games.

You are wasting your time attempting to "prove" otherwise with charts, or graphs, or checklists. That's a fools errand.

I get what you are doing... I'm trying to tell you that you don't need to do that. The thing speaks for itself.

"...res ipsa loquitur."

... At least in a land where the smartest 75% have the good sense take the requisite action to protect themselves from the most 'tarded 25%.

If they don't, just like Germany in the 30's, the 75% will become the biaaaaatches of the most 'tarded, most insane, most insecure, most psychologically deranged 25%...

Vote accordingly.

Last edited:
Sure. Sure. The problem is... we now have real-life "pilots" (lots of 'em) who think that's how it works in real aircraft.

New at Virgin, I used the A320 Professional ad-on for FS2002 to practice flows and callouts, and to fly a rejected TO and Engine out profile. Is it completely realistic? No. But did it get the job done and help in learning? Yes.

1702272767696.jpeg

I’ll say that I briefly got annoyed that the MSFS CJ4’s FMS didn’t let me take a shortcut I frequently use for calculating takeoff performance. I then remembered I was using $17/month Game Pass on my $500 Xbox. They’ve come a long way with the cockpit and avionics simulations.

On the flip side, I also tried to set up a V1 cut to answer the “but how would I really do after a beer” question. The failure models are somewhere between laughable and nonexistent. Again, it’s a game. A fun game, but still a game. Not suitable whatsoever for training. I guess you could kind of use it like a GFS for cockpit familiarity but even then there’s just enough different to make your instructor swear at you.

Aaaanyhooo back to the Learjet….coming from the PC12/KA mechanical nose gear steering you’ll hate the steering on the Lear at first, but give it a few hours and you’ll love the sensitivity and agility. Applying brakes without jerking everyone around is also a learned skill. Suggest not wearing clunky boots though, especially if your feet are on the bigger end. I tried boots and they made it a giant pain to work the brakes and nosewheel gracefully.

Aaaanyhooo back to the Learjet….coming from the PC12/KA mechanical nose gear steering you’ll hate the steering on the Lear at first, but give it a few hours and you’ll love the sensitivity and agility. Applying brakes without jerking everyone around is also a learned skill. Suggest not wearing clunky boots though, especially if your feet are on the bigger end. I tried boots and they made it a giant pain to work the brakes and nosewheel gracefully.
Not just boots but pointy toed dress shoes as well. I used to work on a LR31 and somehow a Sasquatch got hired as a new FO, nice guy, due to his height and shoe size I wondered why he was willing to endure hours of torture in that cramped cockpit. In the 30 series Lears the pressurization control panel is located on the copilots lower instrument panel and because that airplane was designed with slide rules the pressurization was designed to run on pneumatics with no regard to electronics in an emergency there are plastic air lines that run up underneath the panel. Well it did not take long for the airplane to start having pressurization issues after Bigfoot started flying around in the right seat. It had always worked perfectly so we were a bit flummoxed. I thought we were probably going to need to replace the control panel so I pulled the copilots seat and stuck my head under the panel. I found a bunch of the pneumatic connections "unseated" so I reinstalled them. I was wondering how this might've happened when Mr. Pointy Shoes walked into the hangar and it all became very clear. After a quick discussion regarding his personal dimensions and a very strong recommendation to get a more rounded or square shaped style shoe, he agreed and we never had another issue.

Not just boots but pointy toed dress shoes as well. I used to work on a LR31 and somehow a Sasquatch got hired as a new FO, nice guy, due to his height and shoe size I wondered why he was willing to endure hours of torture in that cramped cockpit. In the 30 series Lears the pressurization control panel is located on the copilots lower instrument panel and because that airplane was designed with slide rules the pressurization was designed to run on pneumatics with no regard to electronics in an emergency there are plastic air lines that run up underneath the panel. Well it did not take long for the airplane to start having pressurization issues after Bigfoot started flying around in the right seat. It had always worked perfectly so we were a bit flummoxed. I thought we were probably going to need to replace the control panel so I pulled the copilots seat and stuck my head under the panel. I found a bunch of the pneumatic connections "unseated" so I reinstalled them. I was wondering how this might've happened when Mr. Pointy Shoes walked into the hangar and it all became very clear. After a quick discussion regarding his personal dimensions and a very strong recommendation to get a more rounded or square shaped style shoe, he agreed and we never had another issue.

Look mr airplane maintenance man, don't you go telling me when, and when I cannot, wear my rhinestone boots to work K? :)

Look mr airplane maintenance man, don't you go telling me when, and when I cannot, wear my rhinestone boots to work K? :)
He and his shoes were brand new, his previous job was as a CFI and he had no apparent pretentious opinion regarding his qualifications. He quickly went and bought a new pair of shoes and as far as I know he's flying Gulfstreams now. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Back