landing the 737

STS-41B

Trust me, I’ve had plenty of bad landings in most everything I’ve flown at one time or another, so this is NOT meant to sound critical.
But, when I jumpseat to work, it’s either on a 737-800 or an A321. Occasionally a 757.
The 757? A greaser nearly every time.
The A321? Damn close to every time it’s smooth as silk.
The 737? Holy crap. BANG at least 50% of the time. If I’m in the back, many passengers are saying “wow” or something to that effect.
Is there something about it that makes it nearly impossible to grease on to the runway?

In my class of 10 I was one of the few people who didn't seem to have a lot of trouble landing the 737. We had a txt message list and there were quite a few tales of slamming the aircraft onto the runway so hard that there was an awkward deplaning and even an awkward van ride to the hotel. I had trouble with everything else of course but like any good corporate pilot, I was about to kill everyone the entire flight but my greaser landings ensured that all of the passengers thought that I was the most amazing pilot ever. :sarcasm:

The 900 variants are the worst. The flare technique that I use is at 50 feet off the runway I don't pull power back like a normal airplane (like any other jet I've flown before). I slowly pull power back and ideally the wheels touch as the power levers hit the idle stop. Apparently the aircraft is so stretched it stops flying at idle power.

Of course on my last trip I flew with a captain that needed landings and he flew the first three legs of the trip. On the 700, 800 and 900 he greased it on every time. So it seems possible to be really good at flying the 737. The 700 and 800's apparently handle better than the 900's. I've only flown the 800's and 900's. I've pretty much got the textbook landing down. By no means a greaser however. I've got some dues to pay to get those down.

Take that ground!

Hold what you got and keep the nose straight (concentrate on longitudinal). Theres a derotation trick i never got into, bucha pilots being pilots crap.

Nothing difficult about the 73. Generally start closing the throtthes to idle and initiating a slight flare at 20', and it'll settle through 10' and touchdown nicely. Textbook landings aren't difficult at all, greasing them on can happen more often than not, hard landings are an oddity, from what I've seen. A little different from the -800/900 techniques noted above, but generally works the same. Nothing magic about it.

I rode in the back on a lot of SWA -300s,-500s and -700s growing up and really had no complaints. It seemed like more often the opposite was true, where the pilots were so hell bent on getting a greaser that we would float excessively, and I had a few max T/R max braking take the last turn off kind of landings where I was hoping we wouldn't be the next BUR gas station airplane.

One of the worst landings I've ever experienced as a passenger was actually in an A330 at HNL, which is probably taboo to say because 99% of JC is in love with Airbi these days. #traytablelife or whatever. :)

Long story short YMMV, but anecdotally I don't know of any reason a 737 would be particularly harder than anything else and haven't personally experienced many bad landings in years of riding on them. Fly it like any other swept wing jet with mechanically-signaled hydraulically actuated non-fly by wire flight controls (lol long caveat).

No trailing link gear on the 737. Main gear runs straight into the spar. On the longer airplane the center of rotation is ahead of the main gear so if you “flare” you drive the mains into the pavement. That’s where the ‘derogation’ method comes from.

Makes you feel pretty good when you eek out a greaser every now and again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing difficult about the 73. Generally start closing the throtthes to idle and initiating a slight flare at 20', and it'll settle through 10' and touchdown nicely. Textbook landings aren't difficult at all, greasing them on can happen more often than not, hard landings are an oddity, from what I've seen. A little different from the -800/900 techniques noted above, but generally works the same. Nothing magic about it.

Where'd you fly the 737?

Trust me, I’ve had plenty of bad landings in most everything I’ve flown at one time or another, so this is NOT meant to sound critical.
But, when I jumpseat to work, it’s either on a 737-800 or an A321. Occasionally a 757.
The 757? A greaser nearly every time.
The A321? Damn close to every time it’s smooth as silk.
The 737? Holy crap. BANG at least 50% of the time. If I’m in the back, many passengers are saying “wow” or something to that effect.
Is there something about it that makes it nearly impossible to grease on to the runway?

What airport are you flying into? Any short runways or anything like that?

Go ride on a Dash 8. Everything else will seem smooth.

So true, especially if it’s my leg!! :)

It never fails, one landing every trip is an arrival that ends with me asking the skipper to keep that door closed. It’s usually a calm wind visual that’ll do it too lol

Last edited:
I haven’t had many “arrivals” on the 73 while riding in the back, but the firm ones I seem to remember were SNA and BUR. Those are for good reason, not much pavement to play with. I remember flying into PDX on a gnarly crosswind day on AS and the plane was tilting all over the place, the pax seemed nervous but we flared and kissed the ground. Later that day I created an earthquake trying to land the Q400 in the same conditions.

Last edited:
No trailing link gear on the 737. Main gear runs straight into the spar. On the longer airplane the center of rotation is ahead of the main gear so if you “flare” you drive the mains into the pavement. That’s where the ‘derogation’ method comes from.

Makes you feel pretty good when you eek out a greaser every now and again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know nobody cares about them little jets (least of all me, anymore) but the CRJ-900 has the same characteristics. Pulling in the flare (god damn it, please stop fishing for the runway) will give you a firm touchdown 100% of the time.

Back