Labor relations turns ugly at Southwest

Actually, it is a legitimate question. Almost immediately after getting into 9E you worked your way through just about every ALPA union position. You left and at Citrus were a factor in getting them switched from their old union into ALPA and continued union work, ultimately becoming Vice Chairman MEC and on the national level, an EVP. Now that Citrus is SWA, why wouldn't you work for SWAPA in a union position? You of all people know the union isn't perfect and sometimes people get a screw job but it sounds like you are really taking the SLI personally and holding it against SWAPA. So why not? You've been heavily involved in union work your entire working professional life so it is weird to see your change of heart.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say: Because Southwest.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say: Because Southwest.

Companies should be irrelevant. ALPA is represented across numerous regional, major, and legacy airlines. SWAPA is only for Southwest, but it is still a union entity. He's worked for the NPA before it changed to ALPA, and he helped them to get ALPA. So you can work with SWAPA and if you can't change it to ALPA, then don't even try. Still doesn't change the fact that regardless of company, one can still do union work as long as there is a union.

You're talking to a regional airline dispatcher who probably makes half what the average SWA ramper makes. I wouldn't worry too much about what he thinks of you.
I'm a regional airline pilot who likely makes less than a guy who humps bags full time for The Luv Show. I'm not sure why that really matters (in terms of the value of the statements one makes) though. Just sayin'. :)

Pretty sure you aren't the one belittling "unskilled" workers. That's the difference.

I wouldn't belittle them. I'm sure everyone understands the totem pole of jobs and skilled versus unskilled work. It's just understanding where one is on that totem pole, and keeping their "asks" in relative check.

I wouldn't belittle them. I'm sure everyone understands the totem pole of jobs and skilled versus unskilled work. It's just understanding where one is on that totem pole, and keeping their "asks" in relative check.

I really don't even think the rampers "asks" are out of the realm of decency. Wage increases the go with cost of living increasing along with keeping what they've had for decades vs having their benefits slashed and their jobs outsourced. It's not like they're going out an asking for someone who only works 40 hours a week tossing bags to make $75k a year. Sure, you CAN do that, but you're gonna be at work A LOT. I cleared $60k there one year, but I worked OT every. Single. Night. As they cut staff at the bases, it not only becomes harder to work that much OT because your body just can't handle it, it becomes DANGEROUS to work that much OT. It was kinda scary the number of guys I saw napping on tugs or sleeping in bins because they'd been at work for 14 hours already....and still had plenty of time to go. I know one guy that would work two doubles and THEN he'd work the overnight mail shift sorting mail. Sure, it's easy work at 2 am, but you've got to drive home sometime. However, even though it borders on the realm of safety (and sanity) they should have the right to have it available. Pilots are a different story because of FAA limits, etc. Plus, if a bag goes to MCI instead of MCO because a ramper micro-napped in the bag sort room and misread it, there's no smoking hole in the ground.

Also, CC, pretty sure ATN blocked you a while back, so I wouldn't expect a reply on the "Why are you giving up on union work?" question, despite the fact it was actually well worded and thought out. :)

Back