Labor relations turns ugly at Southwest

Do you get a royalty for appearing in a SWA media ad? Some rampers in AUS were talking about it a few years ago on the employee bus and I was wondering if I heard wrong what they were saying.

Do you get a royalty for appearing in a SWA media ad? Some rampers in AUS were talking about it a few years ago on the employee bus and I was wondering if I heard wrong what they were saying.

Don't know. I'd rather be stabbed repeatedly in the face with a rusty box cutter than appear in one of their ads, so I've never really looked into it. :)

Don't know. I'd rather be stabbed repeatedly in the face with a rusty box cutter than appear in one of their ads, so I've never really looked into it. :)

Well (if I heard correctly) that royalty may be more than a regional airline dispatcher would make.......

I have heard second hand that they get paid pretty good for them. And get paid each time it airs. I'm not sure how much though.

SWA is and has been loosing its way with labor for a while now, and it is obvious to anyone who has been really paying attention. It has been a slow procession in this direction and hopefully it can be turned around before they become just another airline. That is just my opinion as an outsider looking in and speaking with my father who is retired from there.

SWAPA has requested mediation as well. I really hope they can come to agreements that benefit both their work groups and continue to bring continued earnings for the company.

For the TV ads, there was someone on propilotworld who was on one and explained the process. I don't remember all of the details but I think they had to become members of some kind of actors guild and was paid outside of their normal pay.

My old man was is a bleeding heart pro labor liberal ex SWAPA rep, I used to like to fill him up with scotch and poke him with the kernel stick. An avalanche of cursing would ensue, good fun until age 60 would come up. Then we would disagree.

When you running for SWAPA Rep?

kill_you_last.jpg

Spirit is more nebulous. It's open to interpretation. Intent gets to the heart of what was discussed at the bargaining table. Negotiating notes are used to show intent, as is testimony from the parties who sat at the table. "Spirit" could be your interpretation of what the language was supposed to be about rather than the intent of the people who actually negotiated it.

I was messing with ya. I know that you know the difference ;)

You can't misinterpret the intent if you know what it is, silly. You CAN misinterpret the spirit and that becomes the disagreement. I see this a lot at my company. My favorite is the excerpt "a pilot". Since intent was not clear, just to make a point, my company declared that to be literal, in spirit. Because of that, only one pilot can be flushed in a displacement. I'm not kidding.

Back when I was a SWA ramper, we had the gates divided into zones. Typically, a zone would be two gates. Each gate would have a lead and an assist with a floater that would help out. If there was a plane in your zone, didn't matter if it was your gate or not, you were there. So, if your zone was 121/123, and there was a plane at gate 121, you had 4-5 guys there working the flight. If there were a plane at BOTH gates, then the lead and assist for the gates they were assigned would be there, the floater would be at one and more often than not, there would be a sup helping at the other one. You also had bag runners helping with the offloads as well. System seemed to work pretty well, and flights went on time.

Also, when I got hired, if you couldn't commit to 40 hours a week, sorry. This wasn't the job for you. Talking to my friends that are still on the ramp there, those days are LONG gone. Management would rather ditch all the career, full time rampers in exchange for less invested guys they don't have to pay out as many benefits for. There's also a big push to outsource ramp jobs at a lot of the smaller stations. That wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar when I was there. It's THAT kind of thing that's causing the cultural shift and the labor tensions. Some of the guys I worked with had been rampers for 17+ years and planned to retire doing it. Yes, you could clear $100K if you worked it right and busted your ass on OT. But the problem now is guys are having to fight to protect what they've had for decades. Every one of the guys I still know on the ramper here have said "It's not even the same airline it was 10 years ago when you were here." They all say it's going the way of the penny pinching managers just like all the other airlines.

You're talking to a regional airline dispatcher who probably makes half what the average SWA ramper makes. I wouldn't worry too much about what he thinks of you.

Absolutely deplorable.

Don't pay any attention to what he is saying.

Well (if I heard correctly) that royalty may be more than a regional airline dispatcher would make.......

Wow. So you two disagree with what he wrote and decide to basically act the same as him and attack his job as a regional dispatcher? And that the fact he makes half what the SWA makes therefore makes his opinion invalid? Sorry, but I agree with that guy on the skilled versus unskilled labor. Throwing bags is unskilled labor, in that anyone physically able can do it with just a high school degree. Anyone with a HSD and a legal right to work here could walk into that job and be hired. Dispatchers require a dispatcher license which you obtain after training and passing FAA tests. That is skilled labor.

Let me guess, you two also support $15 min wage :rolleyes:

When you running for SWAPA Rep?

Actually, it is a legitimate question. Almost immediately after getting into 9E you worked your way through just about every ALPA union position. You left and at Citrus were a factor in getting them switched from their old union into ALPA and continued union work, ultimately becoming Vice Chairman MEC and on the national level, an EVP. Now that Citrus is SWA, why wouldn't you work for SWAPA in a union position? You of all people know the union isn't perfect and sometimes people get a screw job but it sounds like you are really taking the SLI personally and holding it against SWAPA. So why not? You've been heavily involved in union work your entire working professional life so it is weird to see your change of heart.

Back