Southwest pilot turns aircraft catering truck into a tiny home

Weight was a constant consideration for my Sprinter build. All the heavy stuff is low. The batteries, water, fridge etc.

Everything is built out of 80/20 aluminum tracks. Only the bed platform is plywood and the frame is also alloy. It’s well under vehicle gross weight when full of water and fuel.

I’ve definitely seen some builds that must have been so far over max weight. Amazing builds with extensive wood and tile throughout but when it comes to driving, big yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s never gonna bring a lady friend back to that place…
giphy.gif

Does anyone have any idea if he has a second vehicle to drive from the campsite or boondock location to the airport employee lot? Or is he driving this to the airport for his trips? If the latter, I'd have to wonder about finding enough open spaces to regularly park a Ford F750 in the employee lot.

It isn't as free spirited when you have to consider the use of a tow-behind vehicle and the logistics of that.

069d1d_5add4f26ffab4e1db5842bf3a1e17684~mv2.jpg
looking through the article it seems he has a Toyota Tacoma. Cant tell its under two or now.

See, with a rig like that you make it a sleeper that looks like a catering truck on the outside but still a camper on the inside. Pull up next to where they stash the others overnight and “employee parking” is a thing of the past.

Plus you can just drive it up to the airplane and slip a ramper a sawbuck to valet it for you.

The Trager on the front porch might be a giveaway though.

See, with a rig like that you make it a sleeper that looks like a catering truck on the outside but still a camper on the inside. Pull up next to where they stash the others overnight and “employee parking” is a thing of the past.

Plus you can just drive it up to the airplane and slip a ramper a sawbuck to valet it for you.

Also a good way to inconspicuously transport that package from your cousin in the Caribbean.

There is a guy with a rig like this that I’ve run into at Whistler. It’s an amazing van set up. It looks like a work box van but inside it’s a luxury camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks super cool to me. I mean, not my cup of tea, but for the right person that's a really fun and practical build. Maybe not the best for romance as a > 29 year-old ski/surf bum, but saves a lot of money for vacations and other priorities.

Back