SWA Instructor = FO Flowthrough + $$$

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
There’s a note in company email today. If you refer a candidate who becomes an instructor, and they complete training by Dec 31, you both get $5000!

Sooo… anybody who wants to be an instructor drop me a PM.

New perks according to the hiring page:

- $60,000 onboarding incentive: Offering a full-time onboarding incentive of $60,000 in return for a 24-month, full-time commitment as a Flight Instructor. The incentive would be paid in two installments – $30,000 upon one year of service from Instructor qualification and the second $30,000 two years after qualification.

- Flow through opportunity: A new flow-through opportunity for our Training Instructors to get a direct path to becoming First Officers with Heart! The program would begin with full-time Instructors starting in May of 2022 and would require new Employees to serve as a fully qualified Flight Instructor for two years. Following that time, they would be added to a Pilot Initial class once available.

- Quality of life commuter benefits: If granted, must-ride transportation on Southwest Airlines to/from DAL from your commuter location for work-related activities upon request.

There’s a note in company email today. If you refer a candidate who becomes an instructor, and they complete training by Dec 31, you both get $5000!

Sooo… anybody who wants to be an instructor drop me a PM.

New perks according to the hiring page:

- $60,000 onboarding incentive: Offering a full-time onboarding incentive of $60,000 in return for a 24-month, full-time commitment as a Flight Instructor. The incentive would be paid in two installments – $30,000 upon one year of service from Instructor qualification and the second $30,000 two years after qualification.

- Flow through opportunity: A new flow-through opportunity for our Training Instructors to get a direct path to becoming First Officers with Heart! The program would begin with full-time Instructors starting in May of 2022 and would require new Employees to serve as a fully qualified Flight Instructor for two years. Following that time, they would be added to a Pilot Initial class once available.

- Quality of life commuter benefits: If granted, must-ride transportation on Southwest Airlines to/from DAL from your commuter location for work-related activities upon request.

Min. qualifications?

Min. qualifications?

EDUCATION
  • Required: High School Diploma or GED
  • Preferred: Bachelor's Degree

EXPERIENCE
  • Required: Minimum of 1 year of experience of previous flying experience in aircraft above 12,500 pounds
  • Preferred: Minimum of 2 years of experience as Classroom or Simulator Instructor or equivalent
  • Preferred: 2 years of experience of previous FAR Part 121 operations

LICENSING/CERTIFICATION
  • Required: Valid motor vehicle license
  • Required: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) rating

Could this be like a retirement job? and not have to become a Southwest FO.
is it in Dallas or does Southwest have training centers in other locations?

yellow does this for their ground instructors. 2 years of instructing at the training department. After completion of 2 years of instruction off to new hire FO training you go If that’s where you want to go.

Yeah absolutely. You don't have to go be a pilot after two years. That's just a way to try and cast a wider net.

Take that piece out and the $60,000 retention bonus is still there, and the space positive commute (plus hotel in Dallas I'm told).

Their only training center is in Dallas.

The Eskimo has an instructor gig right now too, you teach two years and then become an FO, but get seniority day one of teaching.
that's a great deal!

edit: could an instructor delay going to the Line?...you know why till seniority is better...hypotheticals and all

Last edited:
Sounds like a better deal!
Until you realize who you work for :D

that's a great deal!

edit: could an instructor delay going to the Line?...you know why till seniority is better...hypotheticals and all

I'm not sure, I think it's a new thing for the company, they've hired like 50+ in the last few months - there were several in my upgrade class going through the program. Most of them seemed to be coming from regionals' training departments. They follow the FO pay scale but get the ~20% instructor override. At first they teach just classroom stuff, then FTDs, and then eventually sims. Not a bad gig to be home every night for two years then jump on the line.

Last edited:
Min. qualifications?
Come on man…stay focused!

CF3E93A5-B819-4A55-8F35-AC8B271F18EE.gif

No way would I do this job without a seniority number. You’re literally teaching and helping people to get in front of you in line? Seems disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way would I do this job without a seniority number. You’re literally teaching and helping people to get in front of you in line? Seems disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also could be a pilot who’s not even remotely competitive to get hired at SWA as an FO, but really want to work there. Could be worth it for some.

Back