Southwest pilot turns aircraft catering truck into a tiny home

Oxman

Now he can park it at LAX.

NYPICHPDPICT000009905795.jpg

This Southwest Airlines employee lives in a decommissioned part of his job.

When Mark Pankey’s not operating planes, you can probably find him in the industry vehicle he’s transformed into a mobile dwelling.

“I had seen these box trucks at work, and I thought about how cool would it be to live in one of those, or to build one out,” Pankey, a Louisiana-born pilot for Southwest Airlines, told Insider.

After expressing as much to a fellow pilot, his colleague alerted him to the fact a “a whole bunch” of the catering box trucks — which have a scissor lift so food and beverages can be more easily offloaded onto the aircraft — were being auctioned off in Seattle.

Pankey purchased a 20-something-year-old one for $3,300 and soon got started on building it out into a livable space.

At that point, the Air Force veteran had long lived in a Crested Butte, Colorado apartment complex and, when convenient, out of his van — which he’d park in the airport lot and sleep out of between jobs instead of spending money on hotels.

“I didn’t have a whole lot of room in the van, so when I got into this thing, it was massive,” Pankey told the publication.

He estimated it took seven months and between $30,000 and $35,000 (including the cost of the truck itself) to turn the unique vehicle into a habitable, fun-size abode.

NYPICHPDPICT000009905746.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000009905753.jpg

Pankey estimated he spent slightly over $30,000 transforming the vehicle.Instagram/snakpak20
To start, he covered the interior in spray foam insulation, then outfitted it with custom floors, walls and cabinets. He also painted the exterior gray, built a loft bed, a compact kitchen, and installed a composting toilet and shower cubicle.

That thing looks like "Why didn't Kelly turn around after she agreed to stop by for a nightcap after the date? This thing says 'The Beautiful Bones' all over it!"

I spent two months living out of a van in NZ that we bought for $1100 USD, it was our transportation and lodging for the entire time we were there. It was a normal looking Mitsubishi delica with big bright windows.

Our friend who also came down bought a van for like $750USD…that was painted bright orange, was lowered, had two fake exhaust pipes, completely blacked out windows, and came with a bumper sticker that said “stop crying or I’ll give you another one”.

Same vibes as southwest antler guy.

That thing looks like "Why didn't Kelly turn around after she agreed to stop by for a nightcap after the date? This thing says 'The Beautiful Bones' all over it!"

Ahem. It was "The LOVELY Bones."

There are good photos of it on his IG account. Kudos to him. That's a really cool and unique conversion. The interior is really nice.

I built out a Sprinter and while I don't live in it there were a lot of reasons I didn't want an RV. I think the build is actually pretty cool. It's not what I'd want but as far as builds go it's pretty cool.

If he can keep his costs down and can actually get enough time away from work to enjoy that lifestyle good for him.

I can barely get a week off at my shop. That rig would be pointless for me. 2 or 3 week stretches boondocking around on BLM land riding bikes and just getting away. Sounds good to me.

To be faiiiiir, the article mentioned that he had been living in an apartment in Crusty Butt for years before doing this, that isn’t exactly cheap living, and tourist towns can be mind numbingly annoying to live in.
It sounds to me like this truck is just what he needed and he Sinatra-ed it.
He did a thing, it wasn’t immoral or illegal, he’s happy and proud of his truck.
I say more power to him.

:)

The execution isn't my aesthetic, I have some concerns about the mess of welded box steel put on as a roof, and about the gross weight of the thing.

But good for him. Also he kept hte most important part: "The truck comes with a scissor lift that can be raised up 17 feet."

I follow the guy on Instagram and overall I think he’s just having fun. I don’t see why this is depressing at all. Soon he can take on 500K to a milli or so of debt and spend the next 30 years trying to pay it off…

My Sprinter van build is a lot different. If I had to live long term in the thing I’d probably rather have something like the SWA dude. I don’t have a shower or toilet because those things are easy to find at races and ski hills, where I am primarily spending time in the van.

I only have 20 gallons of water and I do have hot water but I only have 200 aH of batteries and 400 watts of solar. My build is for a weekend of bike racing or staying at a DH park and limited boondock camping at the trailhead. It has an outside shower if you have some privacy or wear board shorts.

His truck cost 10% of my used 2016 sprinter with 50k on it. My build total cost about 25k more than his. I think one advantage of my build is that I can park it in a normal parking spot. This has been very handy many times. Last year I spent about 100 nights in the van. It was great.

The thing is my last 2 months as an FO I was working over 300 hours time away from base, with zero flexibility. We are so understaffed that I can’t get enough time off to enjoy something like my van. Which is super disappointing. It’s kind of the main reason I became a pilot. So I could have time off when I wanted and not just live to work.

Hopefully that will change sooner than later…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any idea if he has a second vehicle to drive from the campsite or boondock location to the airport employee lot? Or is he driving this to the airport for his trips? If the latter, I'd have to wonder about finding enough open spaces to regularly park a Ford F750 in the employee lot.

It isn't as free spirited when you have to consider the use of a tow-behind vehicle and the logistics of that.

069d1d_5add4f26ffab4e1db5842bf3a1e17684~mv2.jpg

The execution isn't my aesthetic, I have some concerns about the mess of welded box steel put on as a roof, and about the gross weight of the thing.

But good for him. Also he kept hte most important part: "The truck comes with a scissor lift that can be raised up 17 feet."

Great views, above the noise and stink of camp sites, easier to watch the crappy landings at your favorite airport.

Back