Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial Manual

turbojet28

So, what is your opinion on this text as a study source? I have read good reviews on many pilot shops' websites, but want your take. Any other suggestions of good material for studying for the IR? Thanks!

I think they are all good, Jeppesen is just a little more expensive. My school uses Jepp, so that is what I am stuck with. I've always done real well on writtens and checkrides studying with their books.

We use Jepp up here and I have found it really helpfull.

A lot of people gripe about the cost of it, but if they actually used it I think they'd be surprised. I don't usually use it as a prmiary study tool, because most of our ground school classes are based around power point presentations. If there is a certain topic that I'm confused about or don't fully understand I'll usually reference the Jepp and it does a good job of clearing things up.

I'd recomend it.

For instrument flying I would recommend the ASA Instrument Book by Trevor Thom. It is much better at explaining how to fly instruments than the Jepp. For the other stuff contained in the Jepp, the new Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is very good. A big improvement over the last edition.

I highly recommend buying the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook. It's only $25.00... so you'll save a few dollars... and really, it's an excellent book. I should say, I did buy the Jepp book and used it for my Instrument... and you can't go wrong with it... but looking back, I would've saved a few dollars and went the FAA route. Just my opinion though!

I used all of the above... Jepp, ASA, & FAA. I have never regreted adding material to my aviation library and if you go on to instruct you will be glad that you have plenty of sources.

Another Vote for the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook.

I own both books, the FAA's and Jeppesen's and find the FAA book by far better as a reference. However I did use the Jepp as my main preparation tool for my Instrument written together with Jeppesen's Guided Flight Dicovery IFR-CD, but after my checkride I now find myself using the FAA book more often.

I would recommend buying the FAA Instrument Book and see if it's enough for you. It's just around $20-25, so money should be no factor and in case it's not sufficient for you, you still have a good refernce book after your checkride!

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend buying the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend buying the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I third that, plus Trevor Thom's book, Instrument Flying, published by ASA.

The Jepp book contains too much superflous "fluff".

spin2.gif

Back