Is there a Corporate Mecca?

I'm not saying everything is better on this side of the fence. Just most things. ;)

SHHH!!!! Don't let our little secret get out :D

NJA - do you fly with many of the new hires? My buddy got hired on a short time ago in the C750.

Another possibility is to look for cfi jobs at FBOs that have a charter business in addition to the flight school. I've seen flight schools that let their experienced cfis fly citations, kingairs, etc. and build a reasonable amount of jet time.

I know charter is not your goal, but I'm guessing the charter experience would help you get a corporate job... especially if you get a type rating.

Another possibility is to look for cfi jobs at FBOs that have a charter business in addition to the flight school. I've seen flight schools that let their experienced cfis fly citations, kingairs, etc. and build a reasonable amount of jet time.

I know charter is not your goal, but I'm guessing the charter experience would help you get a corporate job... especially if you get a type rating.

I agree here...some charter PIC experience goes a lot further than a bunch of sim time at FSI when looking for good corporate jobs.

Id avoid CFI-sim center route for most jobs. Be sure you have some decent flight time also.

good luck.

I agree here...some charter PIC experience goes a lot further than a bunch of sim time at FSI when looking for good corporate jobs.

Id avoid CFI-sim center route for most jobs. Be sure you have some decent flight time also.

good luck.

I don't completely agree. While PIC time is always good, the number of people you will meet at the sim centers is amazing. Corporate aviation is about WHO YOU KNOW - not your resume.

Corporate aviation is about WHO YOU KNOW - not your resume.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this point can't be stated enough. It is truly about who you know. As I think about the corporate jobs I've had and as I think about the friends I have flying corporate airplanes now, NONE of them were advertised - they all happened thru personal referrals and good ole' networking. Some jobs are advertised but generally speaking, the good corporate opportunities come about because of networking. It's not enough to just talk to corporate crews but make sure you actively network with them. As was said earlier, definatley don't force yourself upon them but as you're talking to the corporate guys, see if you can get their email or other contact info and try and keep in touch with them. You don't need to contact them every week but every few months or so, drop them an email.

NJA - do you fly with many of the new hires? My buddy got hired on a short time ago in the C750.
Not usually, because there aren't too many that are hired into the X. But in the last 2 months, I have flown with two FOs who have been here less than 6 months.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this point can't be stated enough. It is truly about who you know. As I think about the corporate jobs I've had and as I think about the friends I have flying corporate airplanes now, NONE of them were advertised - they all happened thru personal referrals and good ole' networking. Some jobs are advertised but generally speaking, the good corporate opportunities come about because of networking. It's not enough to just talk to corporate crews but make sure you actively network with them. As was said earlier, definatley don't force yourself upon them but as you're talking to the corporate guys, see if you can get their email or other contact info and try and keep in touch with them. You don't need to contact them every week but every few months or so, drop them an email.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It seems clear that networking trumps whatever is on your resume. (within reason of course)

I don't completely agree. While PIC time is always good, the number of people you will meet at the sim centers is amazing. Corporate aviation is about WHO YOU KNOW - not your resume.

I really like the idea of flight instructing at a place that also does some charter (I do have 100hrs PIC 135 time but all in Cessna 206's mostly) and also volunteering at simuflite and doing the simulator sessions. I can eventually earn a type rating, get really sharp on my instrument skills, CRM, and of course the all important networking. This simulflite deal seems pretty much like a win win deal.
But...... I brought it up with the wife and Dallas doesn't seem like the favorite idea in our household right now. It's not totally out of the question but I think her preference is to stay in San Diego where we are now or go to Cary/Raleigh NC where her family is.

Any thoughts given these latest developments?

There is a Flight Safety center in Long Beach, CA and you could also check out Jet Aeronautical at Gillespie Field in El Cajon. They do Citation and King Air training but I don't know if they have an SIC program like Flight Safety or SimuFlite. There is a flight school (SAA Flight Training) within the same FBO as Jet Aeronautical though. The FBO is called JetAir and they also do charter.

Good Luck

There is a Flight Safety center in Long Beach, CA and you could also check out Jet Aeronautical at Gillespie Field in El Cajon. They do Citation and King Air training but I don't know if they have an SIC program like Flight Safety or SimuFlite. There is a flight school (SAA Flight Training) within the same FBO as Jet Aeronautical though. The FBO is called JetAir and they also do charter.

Good Luck

Thanks GoGaurd. I appreciate the tips. Flight Safety makes the SIC program an option in their career training program. A program where you spend oodles of money to go from private pilot all the way through the ratings. I already earned my ratings so I guess that won't work for me.

Don't know about Jet Aeronautical for sure, but the website makes them seem pretty small so I'm doubting they have any SIC program.

I think I'll just go buy a big cowboy hat and tell my wife to tease her hair up really big because we're going to Dallas whether she wants to or not!! Yeah right. I'm all talk.

Some FSI centers hire part timers to ride right seat during training and check rides. Call the Long Beach Center to see if they have a need for this. I had a friend work part time at FSI DFW as a right seater, and now flies a G200 with a charter company that used her as a copilot in the sim.

The FlightSafety Academy's Professional Pilot Program (or whatever it's called these days) is NOT the only way to get into the right seat program. Give Long Beach a call and see what they say. Probably want to ask for the Director of Training.

Jason

Back