How are you guys paying for UND?

Thanks guys.

Now, for those of you that say taking out loans is a bad thing; mokulele said earlier that loans don't have to get paid back until six months, or so, after graduation.

So...

1. Aren't six months enough time to find a job as a flight instructor and start paying back the loans?

2. What is the usual monthly payment for paying back loans? Does it depend on the number of years in which you choose to pay the loans back? Interest fees? etc.

Six months grace after graduation (or withdraw from school) is pretty common.

Sure, you could find a job within six months of graduating; but, if you take *everything* out in loans your monthly payments (depending on how many years you have to repay them back ~ 15 years is about the longest that I've found) will be somewhere around $1200 a month at today's going rate of things. (Only to get more expensive as time continues and costs increase).

The tough part will be paying that back on what limited income you'll most likely be getting at a first year flying gig. When you net only $1600 a month that makes things pretty interesting...

Keep in mind what you'll be making that first year or so.

PS. You most likely can refinance your loan into different kinds of payment plans. (standard, Income sensitive, two tier, three tier loans, etc.) But, if you do other than the standard repayment plan you're tacking on to the end of your loan, and paying a lot more in the end.

I didn't say go to a FBO to train. I do not go to a FBO, I get all of my training in college. And I totally agree with you, they have a lot extra training experiences. In fact, I've been to the altitude chamber and it was amazing! But I just could not afford going there due to flight training costs. Now that 3000 a semester, is that in-state tuition? I just checked their website and I see you can pay 3000/semester for ND/MN res, but other than that, everything is doubled. What about flight training costs?

I am just curious because these are things I've just heard from my friends up there. If you have different info, please let me know so I'm not stating wrong facts. And again, I'm not bashing the school, its a great school and sssssooooo many people have gone there, I just didn't want to put up the money.

Yes 3000 is instate tuition which I believe you qualify for if you have lived here for a year. I know a few people from south dakota and the pay 4500 a semester for their first year then get instate after that. As for flight training costs. I believe the warrior is 100 dollars an hour instructor is 47 dollars, arrow is 129 and hour, not sure how much the seminole or other a/c are since I havent flown them yet. The prices for the a/c are alot cheaper than my local fbo where I started training.

Although you should remember to try and do it as cheaply as possible, just remember that money should never stop you from doing anything that YOU want to do.

How is UND expensive? I pay around 3000 a semester which is as much as some community colleges. I feel like you would get so much more experience going here rather than training at an FBO. Example, Altitude chamber, spatial disorientation trainer, pretty much all your aviation gorund schools. Probably dont get half the knowledge at an FBO unless you really work at it and create your own knowledge base.

3000 a semester... You get what you pay for.

UND blocks most real world experiences... UND will not let you fly in rain, nor will you be permitted to fly solo when the crosswind component is greater than 7 knots. The airplanes are nice, and easy to fly. There are dual G430s so all you have to do is follow the magenta line. Easy. I admit that 102 is a great class, but I couldn't recommend much more at UND to anyone. You can get an Altitude Chamber training flight at many military bases, and spatial disorientation training many places as well.

UND blocks most real world experiences... UND will not let you fly in rain, nor will you be permitted to fly solo when the crosswind component is greater than 7 knots. The airplanes are nice, and easy to fly. There are dual G430s so all you have to do is follow the magenta line. Easy. I admit that 102 is a great class, but I couldn't recommend much more at UND to anyone. You can get an Altitude Chamber training flight at many military bases, and spatial disorientation training many places as well.
huh? you can get a xwind of up to 17kts, and fly in the rain, i have done it many times. same with the snow.

as far as paying for it? i signed a contract to sell my first born.....

huh? you can get a xwind of up to 17kts, and fly in the rain, i have done it many times. same with the snow.

as far as paying for it? i signed a contract to sell my first born.....

I wish the SOF and 221 Course Manager new about this. ;) Seriously I couldn't have possibly been more pissed. Then again, I brought it on myself... I drank the coolaid.:eek:

Do you need a wind endorsement for 221 after you have your PPL? My instructor for 221 signed me off on cross countries with an expired wind endorsement every time. My wind endorsement is from 7/19/2007, pre-solo and has not been updated since. And my crosswind rating for the endorsement is 10kts, it is definitely not restricted to 7kts.

As for weather at UND, in my short time here I think I've been exposed to everything. Wind shear, icing, winds 30+kts with crosswind greater then 22kts, snow, rain, diverting due to IFR conditions moving in, lowering visibility/ceiling, list goes on. UND does prepare you well and you learn a lot here...and you definitely get exposed to the elements.

Also the part about following the pink line on the GPS...that's YOUR decision. If you want to push yourself to learn then do it. No one forces you to use GPS navigation on your cross countries. Try pilotage, VOR radials, etc, you are in charge of your own learning. As cheesy as it sounds...you get what you put into it.

Do you need a wind endorsement for 221 after you have your PPL? My instructor for 221 signed me off on cross countries with an expired wind endorsement every time. My wind endorsement is from 7/19/2007, pre-solo and has not been updated since. And my crosswind rating for the endorsement is 10kts, it is definitely not restricted to 7kts.

As for weather at UND, in my short time here I think I've been exposed to everything. Wind shear, icing, winds 30+kts with crosswind greater then 22kts, snow, rain, diverting due to IFR conditions moving in, lowering visibility/ceiling, list goes on. UND does prepare you well and you learn a lot here...and you definitely get exposed to the elements.

Also the part about following the pink line on the GPS...that's YOUR decision. If you want to push yourself to learn then do it. No one forces you to use GPS navigation on your cross countries. Try pilotage, VOR radials, etc, you are in charge of your own learning. As cheesy as it sounds...you get what you put into it.
the SOF should not have dispatched you for the solo ops then. you need a wind endorsment anytime you go solo at UND, 102-414, doesn't matter you need it, check the policies

Yikes! I just took what he said for fact. I was a little unsure about it at the time and asked him about it, he said it is fine and doesn't matter. I just took that for fact, I didn't dare question him. That's kind of my fault I should of checked anyway. The SOF doesn't really check anything, at least from my limited experience.

Guess it doesn't matter now anyway.

:laff: I just took a "fast" plane (Arrow) to bismark last week in the rain, and even had X wind component of 9 knots there. Isnt that the point of you wind endorsement? Mine says max winds of 25 knots and X wind component of 15. I think as long as your below that and feel comforatable with flying you can go.

About the altitude chamber, SDO trainer, sure you can do them other places but the class that goes along with it would be difficult to take somewhere else.

If your still in High School you should look into part-time/seasonal jobs. That way you can save some for college, and you can also earn some coin when you are home from college for breaks.

My dad works at a commuter out of KAPA, so I just refuel planes. It's not a bad job if your interested in Aviation.

UND blocks most real world experiences... UND will not let you fly in rain, nor will you be permitted to fly solo when the crosswind component is greater than 7 knots.

Are you joking?

Is that rule just for student pilots because I fly a C152 and a 7 kt crosswind has gotten to be a piece of cake for me.

Back