How are you guys paying for UND?

coa787

Unknown Member
I've been exploring the UND website and looking at all of the costs for flight training, tuition, room and board, etc., and I'm just looking for some input as to how you guys (that are currently attending UND) are paying your way through college?

Any advice or inputs would be appreciated. Thanks!

I get student loans, then I use the money to buy livestock and cordless telephones. Then I take those to the business office and barter for tuition.

"Ohhh fer precious, a cordless phone?!? That'll cooover yuuur whooole tuitio for the semesteer."

My parents are being pretty generous, so I don't really have any debt to speak of. Seems a lot of students take out loans to pay for school though. Some try to hold jobs to pay for school, but with North Dakota's pathetic minimum wage, it makes paying for it difficult.

Loans for me. Its all I can really do. I work, but that really doesn't help very much. Luckily I'll be eligible for in-state tuition soon.

Im also fortunate enough to have to parents pay for school and flying. Im going to owe them alot of free travel in future though.:)

How? Are you out of state?

Go get a North Dakota drivers liscence when you get here and then go apply for instate tuition. Thats what I did and im saving 3000 a semester now. Im not sure, I did it after I was here for a year but im not sure if that is a requirment( I think it is). On the application to get instate tution, they base it off a few different factors like where you have lived and if you have a state drivers liscence, if you own a car and some other stuff. Look into it.

For you guys that are paying with loans, is it possible to pay for everything with loans; flight training, room and board, miscellaneous college stuff?

For you guys that are paying with loans, is it possible to pay for everything with loans; flight training, room and board, miscellaneous college stuff?

Yes it is possible.

You will need to apply for financial aid using FAFSA (free application for federal student aid). http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

The government will estimate your family's expected contribution. The more money/assets your parents have, more they will expect your parents to help. The government will provide you with either grants, waivers, or federal loans based on your need.

UND will need to calculate your estimated cost of attendance. Whatever grants/waivers/federal loans don't cover, you can cover using private student loans (higher interest rates) but most loans don't need to be paid back until 6 months (or so) after graduation. UND has to certify the loan amount to ensure you are not going over your estimated cost of attendance.

Just a side note... if you are culturally diverse (basically if you are not white) or if you are socio-economically disadvantaged, you can apply for the Cultural Diversity Tuition Waiver. It will basically waive tuition expenses in the amount of the North Dakota in-state tuition (if you are out of state, you have to pay the rest). There are some semester requirements for this, but it is not a whole lot (must maintain a 2.5 GPA, meet with advisors every semester, etc.).

If you qualify for this, send in the application soon as the priority deadline has passed, I think.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting the ratings while I'm in college.

I DID the same thing/AM doing the same thing. I am a CFI while a junior in college, getting my aviation degree and all my flight ratings... I am just saying, there is more out there than paying lots of money for a name. I totally agree with you, the best thing you can do is get a college degree while your flying. I had the same idea and it is working out GREAT for me! But there is much more out there than trying to rake up ALL that money for one school. I am not putting UND down, I have many friends that go there, but I have all the way up to my CFI (and a Junior in college) and have only spent HALF as much as they have up to halfway through their commercial. I look at it from a money stand point because, lets face it, loans now or loans later are loans forever. I don't want all that debt when I graduate, especially from aviation.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting the ratings while I'm in college.

WOW, I got my ratings while I was in college...Graduated, got a job within a month and didnt go to UND...

I worked while I was in college, hung out and had a blast, was in a fraternity and even still had time to fly....Trust me, its MORE than doable...

I DID the same thing/AM doing the same thing. I am a CFI while a junior in college, getting my aviation degree and all my flight ratings... I am just saying, there is more out there than paying lots of money for a name. I totally agree with you, the best thing you can do is get a college degree while your flying. I had the same idea and it is working out GREAT for me! But there is much more out there than trying to rake up ALL that money for one school. I am not putting UND down, I have many friends that go there, but I have all the way up to my CFI (and a Junior in college) and have only spent HALF as much as they have up to halfway through their commercial. I look at it from a money stand point because, lets face it, loans now or loans later are loans forever. I don't want all that debt when I graduate, especially from aviation.

Good for you JulietBravo. If I was choosing a school to major in aviation I'd defiantly want to make sure it had a reputable name and quality training like UND. If you look at the costs of other reputable aviation colleges, UND is defiantly on the low end. Choosing a college shouldn't be done solely by Price. It's the package that matters.

When I was deciding on colleges to go to, UND was by far the cheapest route. I'm not sure it's like that anymore. I don't regret coming here, but I was sure second guessing myself the first two years being so far from home.

I wouldn't do that if you can help it... seriously.

I was able to pay for stuff out-of-pocket for a while (and that helped) but, then took the rest out in loans. If you take out everything in loans when it comes to repaying them your payments will be over $1200 a month for sure.

How is UND expensive? I pay around 3000 a semester which is as much as some community colleges. I feel like you would get so much more experience going here rather than training at an FBO. Example, Altitude chamber, spatial disorientation trainer, pretty much all your aviation gorund schools. Probably dont get half the knowledge at an FBO unless you really work at it and create your own knowledge base.

How is UND expensive? I pay around 3000 a semester which is as much as some community colleges. I feel like you would get so much more experience going here rather than training at an FBO. Example, Altitude chamber, spatial disorientation trainer, pretty much all your aviation gorund schools. Probably dont get half the knowledge at an FBO unless you really work at it and create your own knowledge base.

I didn't say go to a FBO to train. I do not go to a FBO, I get all of my training in college. And I totally agree with you, they have a lot extra training experiences. In fact, I've been to the altitude chamber and it was amazing! But I just could not afford going there due to flight training costs. Now that 3000 a semester, is that in-state tuition? I just checked their website and I see you can pay 3000/semester for ND/MN res, but other than that, everything is doubled. What about flight training costs?

I am just curious because these are things I've just heard from my friends up there. If you have different info, please let me know so I'm not stating wrong facts. And again, I'm not bashing the school, its a great school and sssssooooo many people have gone there, I just didn't want to put up the money.

Thanks guys.

Now, for those of you that say taking out loans is a bad thing; mokulele said earlier that loans don't have to get paid back until six months, or so, after graduation.

So...

1. Aren't six months enough time to find a job as a flight instructor and start paying back the loans?

2. What is the usual monthly payment for paying back loans? Does it depend on the number of years in which you choose to pay the loans back? Interest fees? etc.

Back