Great Lakes

I've read that GL actually has an exemption to use Part 135 rest rules for its pilots. Does anyone know if they have a similar exemption from the 1500 hour requirement?

I've read that GL actually has an exemption to use Part 135 rest rules for its pilots. Does anyone know if they have a similar exemption from the 1500 hour requirement?
Where did you see that? Very curious to see/read the details. My guess would be the fact that they do alot of government flying is the reason for any exemptions..

Lakes operates under part 121 but follows 135 rest rules through an FAA exemption. They follow part 121 for pilot qualifications not 135.

I think the exemption was granted based on their schedules and the size aircraft they fly.

Lakes operates under part 121 but follows 135 rest rules through an FAA exemption. They follow part 121 for pilot qualifications not 135.

I think the exemption was granted based on their schedules and the size aircraft they fly.

Who's ready to kick in a POIs door with me?
Bring your own torches.

from GLA HR Dept:

Anticipated Minimums Schedule:
Invited to September interviews (Oct class/Flying by December)

-1020 Hours TT

Invited to October interviews (Nov class/Flying by January)

-1080 Hours TT

Invited to November interviews (Dec class/Flying by February)

-1140 Hours TT

Invited to December interviews (Jan class/Flying by March)

-1200 Hours TT

you're welcome

Who's ready to kick in a POIs door with me?
Bring your own torches.
Yep, but while we're at it I'd like to kick down the door of the Wisconsin 135 guys with 99's and the El Paso metro company's POIs that allow 24 hour on call. Or the one's tat grant exemptions to fly airplanes on a 135 cert that were never intended to be. (EMB110,120, DHC-8, etc)

Yep, but while we're at it I'd like to kick down the door of the Wisconsin 135 guys with 99's and the El Paso metro company's POIs that allow 24 hour on call. Or the one's tat grant exemptions to fly airplanes on a 135 cert that were never intended to be. (EMB110,120, DHC-8, etc)

Now I don't know very much about anything. However, my understanding is that Great Lake's Ops Specs allow use of 135 rules and this is a permitted item within the FAA's Order 8900.1, for Flight Standards Management. Keeping pilots on call for 24 hours has been expressly prohibited, and the POI that authorizes those Ops Specs would be acting outside of the FAA's administrative rules.

Maybe. I'm not reading 8900.1 to find out.

Now I don't know very much about anything. However, my understanding is that Great Lake's Ops Specs allow use of 135 rules and this is a permitted item within the FAA's Order 8900.1, for Flight Standards Management. Keeping pilots on call for 24 hours has been expressly prohibited, and the POI that authorizes those Ops Specs would be acting outside of the FAA's administrative rules.

Maybe. I'm not reading 8900.1 to find out.
Still, it seems like the FAA makes rules only to make exemptions from them because it's in an operator's economic interest.

Only to derail a little. The Wisconsin 135 '99 POI does not authorize 24/7 on call.
Whether he looks the other way, or is simply ignorant of it, I don't know.

Only to derail a little. The Wisconsin 135 '99 POI does not authorize 24/7 on call.
Whether he looks the other way, or is simply ignorant of it, I don't know.
Well they don't have the authority to authorize it, but they knowingly let it go. IMO that's just as guilty as the certificate holder and PIC in regards to violating the regs.

Well they don't have the authority to authorize it, but they knowingly let it go. IMO that's just as guilty as the certificate holder and PIC in regards to violating the regs.

There was a case at a job I had wayyy north, where the POI authorized a weight and balance form, (his signature in the Ops Manual); when the big guys came in to audit us for a 121 certificate, they found that the PIC's who used the form (signed off by the POI) were incorrect. All the pilots were given Letter's of Investigation. (which is reportable when you apply for another job)

Total BS

I heard lakes is suing a former FO they failed on a 6 month recurrent for breech of training contract. Anyone else heard this?

I'm no industry expert, but why would you even consider GLA with times like those?
Ha! Sometimes I feel like I still don't have enough time.. Not that I was "targeting" GLA, just wanted to get a feel what it was like for folks who are there.
But again, even with those times phone isn't ringing off the hook..

Ha! Sometimes I feel like I still don't have enough time.. Not that I was "targeting" GLA, just wanted to get a feel what it was like for folks who are there.
But again, even with those times phone isn't ringing off the hook..
Not saying you're super high time, but you definately have enough time (and multi) that you shouldn't need to consider GLA and it payrates.

Back