Great Lakes

There was a case at a job I had wayyy north, where the POI authorized a weight and balance form, (his signature in the Ops Manual); when the big guys came in to audit us for a 121 certificate, they found that the PIC's who used the form (signed off by the POI) were incorrect. All the pilots were given Letter's of Investigation. (which is reportable when you apply for another job)

Total BS

Ops manual and forms are accepted material, not approved by the FAA.

Your forms come from the Ops Specs, which are signed by the POI.
May or may not be in the Ops Manual.

Your right though, Ops Manual doesn't need to be signed by the POI.

Looking at opening this tread again and asking a couple more questions for current or previous GLA pilots.

I have 1300hrs and would be able to qualify for an upgrade soon. What I am wondering is if it would be realistic to expect to be able to upgrade before the August captain minimums kick in with a class date in early January.

Second, I live in Denver and understand that its not a junior domicile. How soon would it be realistic to expect to be able to hold a line in Denver, even if its reserve?

Third, I am curious what to expect a typical month to look like. 4 day trips 2 days off or 5 day trips 1 day off etc. Is it easy to commute if your not based in Denver but live there. How are the other pilots? Are people generally positive? How is maintenance? What to expect or how to prepare for training. General quality of life issues (I've heard the jokes)

Thanks

Looking at opening this tread again and asking a couple more questions for current or previous GLA pilots.

I have 1300hrs and would be able to qualify for an upgrade soon. What I am wondering is if it would be realistic to expect to be able to upgrade before the August captain minimums kick in with a class date in early January.

Second, I live in Denver and understand that its not a junior domicile. How soon would it be realistic to expect to be able to hold a line in Denver, even if its reserve?

Third, I am curious what to expect a typical month to look like. 4 day trips 2 days off or 5 day trips 1 day off etc. Is it easy to commute if your not based in Denver but live there. How are the other pilots? Are people generally positive? How is maintenance? What to expect or how to prepare for training. General quality of life issues (I've heard the jokes)

Thanks
Are you aware of the first yr pay?

Thanks

Question 1: What are captain minimums in August? If you mean you'd be required to get an ATP anyway and might as well upgrade, I think it will take a bit longer. By the time training, ioe, etc is all said and done, you won't be online until the end of February, at the earliest. Since we have all of these fantastic outstations, you could get stuck on reserve in FOD and rarely fly. Things also might start moving fast and it won't be a problem. Things change quick here. 6 months ago we had 2 fewer bases. The most junior captain, currently in upgrade, has been here about 8 months.

Question 2: Denver doesn't seem to be too bad on the FO side. Less than 6 months, probably 3 or 4 to get there. As a captain though, its senior. I've been here 2.5 years, and am getting DEN for the first time in January.

Reserve sucks, and thats all there is to that. Once you can hold a line, expect 10-12 days off, and we get 3 blocks of 3 in a row. The rest of the days are thrown around in no particular order. Some lines are built with 5 days off in a row though, you just pay for it elsewhere. Those lines go senior, you won't get more than 12 off in a month, out of DEN, for a year or so.

Pilots are good, jaded but a good group. Read around for training, the sim is by far the biggest hurdle for people, so make sure you can scan a 6 pack. As far as QOL, don't plan on much. If you can live rent free (ie w/ parents) in Denver then things will be much better. You make enough to pay rent, eat food, and put gas in your car (assuming its paid off). Maybe eat out twice a month. Life as a junior FO isn't glamorous in the least.

Thanks for the responses.

I know what they pay.

I think what its going to come down to is whether or not I feel comfortable signing a 15 month training contract at this point.

Lakes is going to have to raise their pay some and do away with the training contract soon or they will not be in business long IMO. Like cmhumphr said with 2 Jet airlines offer $5k signing bonuses I would doubt they have a lot of apps coming in. Come Feb or March even Lakes will have to be requiring ATP mins.

Thanks

If you have 1300 you'd probably be able to upgrade shortly after reaching 1500...I think there's a 300hr with company and/or 121 requirement, though I could be a bit off.
I started class in July and was on the line in early September. I was able to hold DEN in October, so barely any wait time.
Reserve as an FO isn't good right now (depending on how you see it) I've only logged about 110 hrs in 3.5 months since hitting the line due in large part to senior FO's being sluggish on upgrading. That could change in an instant though.
If you can afford to work here it's a great place to quickly get 1000 PIC, hopefully competitive when the legacy's really start hiring in the next couple of years.

Well ummm, I'm just counting down till my 1000.. Then I'm working at baskin Robbins, till swa calls... No seriously

First year pay... Hell are u aware of the whole pay scale
True, I'm just pointing out that were better than this as a pilot group, but yeah its not just first yr pay. As a 2nd year FO I'll make as much as a 3rd year CA, and I'm at an average regional.

Back