Got CFI: Next Move?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
So, got the CFI done. Am on the schedule at the flight school and anxiously awaiting a student assignment. Will probably be discovery flights at first but that's fine.

Starting to think about the next move, and I figure I can go one of two ways about it. Both are predicated on teaching enough to earn the costs of the next move, so to speak:

1) CMEL - need multi to be eligible for most other next-step flying gigs, and adding the MEI to that would be a fairly short leap afterward. Could allow me to joyride in the right seat from time to time on non-instructional flights with others, might be able to pick up a seat-warmer slot from time to time.

2) -II - this is what I'm leaning more toward. This time of year - and especially with access to a full-motion Redbird - being an -II could pay off. It gets me a buck-an-hour raise for dual-given, also. Since I'm in need of an IPC anyway, studying for this will help with that. Also, the school gives all the employees 1.5 hours a month in the sim for free to maintain currency, so that's helpful, too.

Either way, we're talking a few grand, which means a good chunk of dual-given, so hopefully I can get some students and start making the CFI ticket pay for the next rounds of training as opposed to being out of pocket.

Do you want to go with to the airlines? If so, I wouldn’t bother with the MEI. You only need 25 hours. I’d just split time with someone.

Do you want to go with to the airlines? If so, I wouldn’t bother with the MEI. You only need 25 hours. I’d just split time with someone.

Potentially, yeah, but I also have time - I'm only at 450TT right now and will only be teaching part time.

I probably should have phrased this as 'which would have more near-term value?'

ALSO - I'm told that, anecdotally, Republic is now wanting the full 50. But that's just one anecdotal data point.

So, got the CFI done. Am on the schedule at the flight school and anxiously awaiting a student assignment. Will probably be discovery flights at first but that's fine.

Starting to think about the next move, and I figure I can go one of two ways about it. Both are predicated on teaching enough to earn the costs of the next move, so to speak:

1) CMEL - need multi to be eligible for most other next-step flying gigs, and adding the MEI to that would be a fairly short leap afterward. Could allow me to joyride in the right seat from time to time on non-instructional flights with others, might be able to pick up a seat-warmer slot from time to time.

2) -II - this is what I'm leaning more toward. This time of year - and especially with access to a full-motion Redbird - being an -II could pay off. It gets me a buck-an-hour raise for dual-given, also. Since I'm in need of an IPC anyway, studying for this will help with that. Also, the school gives all the employees 1.5 hours a month in the sim for free to maintain currency, so that's helpful, too.

Either way, we're talking a few grand, which means a good chunk of dual-given, so hopefully I can get some students and start making the CFI ticket pay for the next rounds of training as opposed to being out of pocket.

CMEL first. It takes less than 10 hours to get, and there's no written. It's a quick, easy kill. Then, if the math is close to making sense, do some or all of your II build in the twin. This will be value added time because you fly the twin from the right seat, build multi PIC, and build toward 25 total multi all while getting ready for your II ride.

Last edited:

CFI-I. It is immediately useful. Pilots need IPCs more often than they need Flight Reviews, so you'll do lots of those. My experience with instrument students is that they are easier to teach (they already know how to fly), so you get less burned out. Plus, if you just passed a CFI ride, the CFI-I is basically the same thing, but easier.

If you are instrument current, the cost should be minimal. Other than one written test you can pass in your sleep, it is just a fair bit of studying. And finding a CFI-I to sign you off for the ride.

One more for the multi crowd, though I can see going with the II first too.

My logic is that you can get where you’re going without the CFII. In theory you could find some unicorn of a multi gig, fly your butt off, and then move on. Not really the case with the II. I still recommend the CFII and you should probably do it sooner rather than later so that you’re still relatively fresh on your instrument skills.

It's been too long, but wasn't there a benefit of getting the II first, then the MEI so you didn't have to do approaches or something? Or was that back in the Commercial add-on stuff? All I remember was the MEI was the easiest check ride I ever had, it's quick.

As far as strategy, I'm a firm believer in what teaching does for your own airmanship and knowledge, if you can teach a multitude of students you'll be better for it so both the II & MEI are quite valuable in my book. Are you able to teach full time or do you need to keep a current a job as well?

It's been too long, but wasn't there a benefit of getting the II first, then the MEI so you didn't have to do approaches or something? Or was that back in the Commercial add-on stuff? All I remember was the MEI was the easiest check ride I ever had, it's quick.

As far as strategy, I'm a firm believer in what teaching does for your own airmanship and knowledge, if you can teach a multitude of students you'll be better for it so both the II & MEI are quite valuable in my book. Are you able to teach full time or do you need to keep a current a job as well?

Not able to teach full time - definitely holding down the position in Corporate Serfdom while I wait for some equity to vest and dig myself out of some debt that I got into. Will be teaching part time as much as I can.

One nice perk of my day job - we have unlimited paid time off - can take as much vacation as I want to, so long as we're hitting our numbers and not unduly loading up my teammates (we cover for each other when one's off.) So I mentioned to my boss that I was considering every other Friday off for a few months, rather than taking a full vacation. He seemed okay with that, so I could teach on those days plus weekends/nights and help boost things a little.

Like you said - I need both ratings, it's just a question of the order I plan to pursue them in.

Like you said - I need both ratings, it's just a question of the order I plan to pursue them in.

Seems like the 'traditional' way of II then MEI would be a good bet. As others said more opportunity for IPCs and instrument students (more of them) then grab the MEI as soon as you can. I believe the order of things I alluded to before was for commercial add-ons and such. If I recall correctly once I got my required multi PIC I did a few lessons and MEI check ride it's a breeze.

Definitely II first.

Unless you have a bunch of multi students lined up and ready to fly with you. Or a job offer in twin. Or you're just willing to buy a twin. In those cases do CMEL/MEI first.

The rational is that II is something you can start making money with right away. CMEL is not. Since you only have 450 hours by the time you'll be ready for your ATP or airline interview you'll be so out of currency and proficiency in a twin that you'll end up coughing up the same 10 hours of twin time just to get current again.

I say II first then CMEL. BTW, Congrats on CFI! I know you've worked hard on that with some of your posts in the past so awesome accomplishment! Still one of the happiest days in my aviation career behind your first solo.

I also suggest just skipping the MEI. Unless you have money and time to do it, it's not a bad thing to have. But I am certainly happy I didn't get it. Then again I was in a different situation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Another thing on the MEI - depending on your geography, there might be schools willing to pay for it if you stay with them for a year.

Thanks for all the input, you guys.

As it stands, right now I'm going to pursue -II first, but I'm gonna kill a few birds with one stone here.

- Earn the -II - so that I can teach IR students and get a small raise as a result. :)
- Use the training for the -II as an IPC for currency. Figure my instructor shouldn't have a problem with that, right?

We have a 182T w/ G1000 that I've not been checked out in yet, but would like to teach in and fly. We also have a Redbird FMX that has a 182T panel, so I think it might make sense to do at least part of this training in that config/combo, because the school will absorb some of the checkout costs for me to do this. If I can combine things, it makes sense for everyone.

Now...when it comes time to do the CMEL the *real* question is this:

-Use the DA-42 (with FADEC!)
-Use the GA-7 Cougar

Hmmm.....

These are good problems to have. :)

Thanks for all the input, you guys.

As it stands, right now I'm going to pursue -II first, but I'm gonna kill a few birds with one stone here.

- Earn the -II - so that I can teach IR students and get a small raise as a result. :)
- Use the training for the -II as an IPC for currency. Figure my instructor shouldn't have a problem with that, right?

We have a 182T w/ G1000 that I've not been checked out in yet, but would like to teach in and fly. We also have a Redbird FMX that has a 182T panel, so I think it might make sense to do at least part of this training in that config/combo, because the school will absorb some of the checkout costs for me to do this. If I can combine things, it makes sense for everyone.

Now...when it comes time to do the CMEL the *real* question is this:

-Use the DA-42 (with FADEC!)
-Use the GA-7 Cougar

Hmmm.....

These are good problems to have. :)
On the CMEL the most relevant question is which aircraft is more reliable. Flight school twins tend to be mx hogs and you don’t want to have checkride and training headaches due to an airplane being down.

Back