Fun weather at ORD

Hey is this Sarah??? Ya know I do miss me some thunderstorms once in a while. But then I get over it really fast, haha. Congrats on the wedding BTW.

It's me! :) I really do miss the thunder! ...but NEVER the snow!!!!
(And thanks! Everything was GREAT!!!)

I got to work on my day off because of those storms. We're 15 minutes from landing in ORD on our LAST leg of a 4 day trip when center told us to do a 180 and slow down as much as possible. It's never good to hear them say things like "Milwaukee just shut me out," "Not right now. I have a lot of things to do," and the good 'ole "TRACON evacuated the building due to tornadoes." One diversion, a 5 hour wait, an extra night in a hotel, and one day later I'm finally home. Craziness.

Oh, and because our passengers were hearing armageddon stories from their friends in Chicago, they were actually thanking us for not flying them into it.

Saw lightning strike the Sears tower, twice, on my way out of MDW yesterday. It was really quite a show late into the evening. And with something like 220 traffic lights malfunctioning today and all the standing water the drive into work was excrutiatingly painful (spelling leniency please)

I was in ORD yesterday in the United Cafeteria and we got evacuated for the tornado...what fun. I had all my legs cxed and waited at the airport for 10 hours until 2am before they found us a hotel in Waukegan.... that was a fun day.

Commuting to work yesterday turned into an adventure. Schedule-wise I had lot's of options DSM-ORD-EWR. I ended up riding 5 hours to O'Hare from DSM in a minivan with three other commuting pilots and took the last possible option, a FedEx flight that got me to EWR at 4:30am, basically right before show time!

Commuting blows, but it's cool to see how pilots get together and help each other out. The other week, a Mesa captain went out of his way to give me a free ride home late one night. Saved me a $30 cab ride! That's what paying it forward is all about.

I had a crappy commute up there yesterday morning too--Eagle and Skywest both had a fair number of cancelled flights from BNA-ORD because the RON airplanes never made it in the night before, so I ended up on Southwest to MDW.

Commuting blows, but it's cool to see how pilots get together and help each other out. The other week, a Mesa captain went out of his way to give me a free ride home late one night. Saved me a $30 cab ride! That's what paying it forward is all about.

I was once completely saved by a brand new Mesa FO--we were both trying to get from PHX-TUS (where he was from) and his wife had driven up to pick him up after we missed 3 flights. Unfortunately, I had gotten bumped off one and they refused to get my gate-check overnight bag and flight case out of cargo, telling me I could get them in TUS. This guy not only offered me a ride, but after I got a call about 30min after leaving phoenix from another random Mesa pilot who told me my bags were at a jetway in PHX, this new-hire *turned around* without being asked and drove me back to the airport, then all the way back to TUS after we got my bags.

It was the first time he had seen his wife in 2 months, and he went so far out of his way to help me it was ridiculous. He's absolutely getting a letter of rec for Skywest when he hits his 850tt.

I got into ORD at 1030 on Thursday. We had about 3hrs of "airport appreciation" before we were to do a CVG turn. Luckily we had ORD as our overnight. We went to the gate and the plane had called in 10 out. We had been looking at the radar in the crew lounge and looked ominous. We knew if we pushed it would be a VERY long day. But it only took about five minutes of standing at the gate before UA canceled our CVG turn. The inbound a/c had diverted (probably due to our brilliant fuel conservation program where usually arrive at the gate with about an hour of fuel). So were done! But my Captain calls crew support "ask" what we should do. I couldn't believe it. While this is happening the ORD security evacuating the terminal! If they are evacuating I don't think we need to call to get permission to leave. Of course SKYW crew support, sitting in sunny St. George, gives the knee-jerk reaction and tells all the crews that are on ready reserve until their original release time. That means sevens hours of ORD airport appreciation for us. DOH! But, in the manual is says that will give us a hotel room after six so we told them were heading the hotel at six hours (There was no way they were going to do anything with us anyway. We had a 0525 show time the next day.)

We got the hotel and it was still pouring with lots of lightning. It was an impressive storm! We met downstairs for a beer and I got phone call - from crew support! I didn't answer, which is standard practice for the crews, and waited for the message. Then the captain's phone rang and then the FA's. They were doing something with us. I was on a shorted version of the trip and my release was for 1028 in DEN the next day, so I knew it couldnt' be that bad. In the end, we got what rarely happens, a bonus. I was done. I had a deadhead home the next day and that was it. The rest of the crew had a deadhead to CVG for the rest of their trip. And all of our show times were about 1700 (sleep in!). I got up and flew back to PDX (where my gal lives) but not before I got the 0600 call from crew support trying to reflow me. I told them my original release was 1028 and that put the kabosh on that. So I got the PDX yesterday at about 1100 and managed to fly a three day trip with only two legs.

Back