Freight Dog Career

What about Ameriflight? How much do the Metro or B1900 Captains make long term? Airnet? Like Galaitoto, I have worked in transportation before as a delivery driver
and enjoyed it. Did you know FedEx Drivers make about as much as a Caravan Captain?(Although way much less physical labor). I'm also a simple guy, and I'm thankful just to be a Pilot, let alone get paid to fly one. The 121 industry seems too hectic for so little pay. Plus Boxes don't complain.
Are u sure we're not twins,lol. And as far as pay goes I am prepared to make 18K less a year to start. It's ironic how when couriers step up to the semi trucks they get a raise, but when we step up to the caravans we get a drastic pay cut ! Oh well, I still would not have it any other way.

I have been a freight dog for a couple of months. While the job is exactly what I expected, and I enjoy it, it is uncomfortable enough to where I sure as hell don't want to do this any longer than I have to. I have done UPS runs on IOE and I fly on demand single pilot all over North America. Here are my thoughts on the 2 different areas.

UPS

Schedule sucks ass. Wake up at 4:30, wait for freight to be loaded, fly for 2 hours then unload your own freight. Sit at some crap hole FBO or crew apartment for 10 hours and come back and be home by 9:30-10:00. Just in time to eat dinner and go to bed. UPS rampers giving you crap because you had a headwind or ATC delay when you get back. Flying to the same airport everyday sucks, IMO, but there are those who like it. There are a lot of lifers/long-termers at my company, and I don't know how they do it with families. Some are outstation based, so they spend nights away from home and sit for 10 hours at home during the day. Neither are really ideal. Pay at my company for these routes are good, but for me, my goals and aspirations are bigger, as far as pay goes. This doesn't suit me at all.

On Demand

No real schedule to speak of. This week, I flew M-W and had no trips on Thursday or Friday, and had the weekend scheduled off. Although I wasn't "off" on Thursday or Friday, I was able to get a lot of rest in and get some errands/honey do's done around the house. The previous 2 weeks, I worked a ton. 16 hour duty days with 5+ hours of flying is really fatiguing, especially when we only get minimum rest after a 16 hour duty day. I have spent a few days in hotels, but not a lot, as we usually come back home after a trip, depending on duty/flight time restrictions and bids on new trips. Most of the time during the week, I see my wife at 5am when she is getting ready for work, or not at all. It is feast or famine. I kind of enjoy the random chaos, it keeps things interesting.

This isn't a total bitchfest. Like I said, I enjoy the job, but it isn't all sunshine and lollipops. I get paid a respectable wage, I don't take any headaches home with me, and I enjoy the randomness of the on demand world. I don't really enjoy pushing around pallets, but it's part of the job and I knew it going in. Flying the metro has been fun, although it would be nice to have an autopilot. There is something to be said about being your own boss with very little interaction with management. We don't have any management at our on demand base, and we do our own flight planning, weight and balance, and performance figures. Our management backs us up when we make a PIC decision.

If you get on a with a good company, it can be a good place to hang your hat for a while or make a career of it. For me, I am looking to put in a couple of years and move on. Others have stayed put and enjoy it. To each his own.

What about Ameriflight? How much do the Metro or B1900 Captains make long term? Airnet? Like Galaitoto, I have worked in transportation before as a delivery driver
and enjoyed it. Did you know FedEx Drivers make about as much as a Caravan Captain?(Although way much less physical labor). I'm also a simple guy, and I'm thankful just to be a Pilot, let alone get paid to fly one. The 121 industry seems too hectic for so little pay. Plus Boxes don't complain.
40k for the Metro/1900. Unless you're flying a FedEx run, it's not for the long term. That kind of work is horrid on the body and it shows. Took at least 3 months for my face to look little kidish again when I got the hell away from UPS. Even flying for FedEx isn't for the long term IMO. The fact that you're plenty qualified for MANY jobs that pay double or triple that after a year to 2 years is one reason.

@gomntwins

He might have some insight on this. IMS, he's a long time (like looooong time) freightdog who may or may not be looking at moving on.

For me, it wasn't a career destination, although I stuck in longer than most (~6 years). I had a hell of a lot of fun, though, and certainly wouldn't change a thing. Well, I might go AROUND a couple of those storms...

@gomntwins

He might have some insight on this. IMS, he's a long time (like looooong time) freightdog who may or may not be looking at moving on.

For me, it wasn't a career destination, although I stuck in longer than most (~6 years). I had a hell of a lot of fun, though, and certainly wouldn't change a thing. Well, I might go AROUND a couple of those storms...

Just began year #7 myself.

I believe that's around about where "salty" becomes "high sodium". If you ever find yourself wanting to wear a onesie and dose for dollars, drop a line.

I've talked to your co-buddy on the east side about your shop some. :)

I've talked to your co-buddy on the east side about your shop some. :)

Well, if you find an opening you're interested in, now you've got two dudes to throw your resume in to the HR black box so they can do whatever they do with such things. IMS, you've got my email from back when you were trying to do the same for me. If not, PM. In the meantime, stay frosty. Shouldn't be hard this time of year! ;)

Well, if you find an opening you're interested in, now you've got two dudes to throw your resume in to the HR black box so they can do whatever they do with such things. IMS, you've got my email from back when you were trying to do the same for me. If not, PM. In the meantime, stay frosty. Shouldn't be hard this time of year! ;)
Three, even.

I've been flying 135 freight about 8 years. Outstation based UPS feeder. I like the job. I like it a whole lot. Why? Here goes.

First off, I'm a loner. I enjoy being alone. Other than spending time with my fiancé and a weekly pizza deal I have at work with some coworkers, I spend my time alone. I haven't done anything socially with any friends since June. I meet up with a couple buddies twice a year to watch some racing or go fishing. That is it. Working alone is what I want. I really have little desire to be in a crew.

The equipment. I enjoy it. The metro is a fun airplane. I enjoy hand flying all approaches. I still enjoy flying it. If I haven't gotten sick of it the last 8 years, I doubt I will.

The schedule. I spend all day, everyday at home. It has allowed me to pursue a number of other ventures that has greatly increased my income. Without the ability to be at home during the day, my income would go down drastically. My salary from flying is decent (much better than most feeder jobs), but it's my other income that makes this a good financial choice. I'm also looking at making the move back into farming. I would never risk it at an airline, but I know with this job I can get the time off I need.

8 years ago all I wanted to be was an airline pilot. I had zero idea that I'd still be flying 135 freight 8 years later. Honestly, until you try it, you won't have any idea if a freight career is for you. I've seen a number of people come in saying 'this is all I want to do'. One guy didn't make it more than 2 months. Numerous others were at airlines or corporate within 2 years.

Give it a shot. It is a good experience. Keep an open mind though. You may be happier somewhere else. Most people are.

The phrase "freight dog career" is an oxymoron. Unless you are talking about moving from 135 to 121 freight.

There is a large group of pilots that I worked with at the purple feeder that are 100% unemployable anywhere else because of the social defects they have acquired flying freight over the past 10+ years. Get your time and get out and move on to something with air conditioning.

There is a large group of pilots that I worked with at the purple feeder that are 100% unemployable anywhere else because of the social defects they have acquired flying freight over the past 10+ years. Get your time and get out and move on to something with air conditioning.

Uhh like this guy!?

I've been flying 135 freight about 8 years. Outstation based UPS feeder. I like the job. I like it a whole lot. Why? Here goes.

First off, I'm a loner. I enjoy being alone. Other than spending time with my fiancé and a weekly pizza deal I have at work with some coworkers, I spend my time alone. I haven't done anything socially with any friends since June. I meet up with a couple buddies twice a year to watch some racing or go fishing. That is it. Working alone is what I want. I really have little desire to be in a crew.

The equipment. I enjoy it. The metro is a fun airplane. I enjoy hand flying all approaches. I still enjoy flying it. If I haven't gotten sick of it the last 8 years, I doubt I will.

The schedule. I spend all day, everyday at home. It has allowed me to pursue a number of other ventures that has greatly increased my income. Without the ability to be at home during the day, my income would go down drastically. My salary from flying is decent (much better than most feeder jobs), but it's my other income that makes this a good financial choice. I'm also looking at making the move back into farming. I would never risk it at an airline, but I know with this job I can get the time off I need.

8 years ago all I wanted to be was an airline pilot. I had zero idea that I'd still be flying 135 freight 8 years later. Honestly, until you try it, you won't have any idea if a freight career is for you. I've seen a number of people come in saying 'this is all I want to do'. One guy didn't make it more than 2 months. Numerous others were at airlines or corporate within 2 years.

Give it a shot. It is a good experience. Keep an open mind though. You may be happier somewhere else. Most people are.

Thank you for the detailed reply. That sounds alot like me. Apart from flying I enjoy video game programming and I'm trying to learn web development. It would be nice to have a stable Feeder Job and pursue those at the same time. I also had the dream to be an Airline Pilot, but now I have Shiny Purple tail turboprop syndrom. I want to try it a least! First things first, get the CFI.

Me 2. I love my alone time. What I look forward to most is flying the caravan with some boxes and my nice cup of coffee and I'm set. I hardly ever see my friends and when I do I'm the first to leave. I would be willing to bet that the two fellas above are ISTJ personality types like myself. The Carl Jung personality test is very accurate and free. Try it. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Me 2. I love my alone time. What I look forward to most is flying the caravan with some boxes and my nice cup of coffee and I'm set. I hardly ever see my friends and when I do I'm the first to leave. I would be willing to bet that the two fellas above are ISTJ personality types like myself. The Carl Jung personality test is very accurate and free. Try it. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
Once you've been flying for a pay check for a while your mind will change. I used to think like you... I just wanted to fly whatever I thought was cool despite overall earning potential. Now I just want to fly whatever pays me the most and gives me the most time off. A jobs a job after a while.

Once you've been flying for a pay check for a while your mind will change. I used to think like you... I just wanted to fly whatever I thought was cool despite overall earning potential. Now I just want to fly whatever pays me the most and gives me the most time off. A jobs a job after a while.

It's true. I still really enjoy flying, but once the shutdown check is complete on the last leg, I'm packing up and hauling ass out to the parking lot. Time off with family/friends and hobbies is good for the soul.

Fair enough, I just might find myself in that boat not to far down the road, who knows.

That's pretty cool, I got ENFP and it seems pretty dead on. Flying in a non-crew environment would likely be very boring for me during cruise, and that seems to match my personality type. I used to want to fly freight after working airline customer service, but I now know I found all those clueless pax and the operational drama entertaining more than annoying. To each their own. :)

Back