Freight Dog Career

jspeed87

My main motivation to pursue flight training was to be an airline Pilot. Now 3 years later, commercial in hand, I'm more interested in the 135 cargo world. I like those FedEx Feeder Caravans and think that would be a very stable I could do long term. What other career options are there similar to that? I wouldn't mind moving for a job just so long it's stable and income good (30k start to 60k).

My main motivation to pursue flight training was to be an airline Pilot. Now 3 years later, commercial in hand, I'm more interested in the 135 cargo world. I like those FedEx Feeder Caravans and think that would be a very stable I could do long term. What other career options are there similar to that? I wouldn't mind moving for a job just so long it's stable and income good (30k start to 60k).

Where in the country do you want to live?

All FedEx feeders require 2000 TT. Its a pretty darn good job, starts out around 35k and if you really wanted to make it a career you could top out around 70-80K a year. There are a lot of career guys in the caravans. I worked for Wiggins in the northeast, great company, great people, over half the seniority list had been there for 10+ years. I would have stayed there as it was a great job, but caught a case of SJS...

I''m still entry level with 300tt and CSEL. Wiggins has two runs that are close to where I live, EWR and BWI. Basically just want to see what's out there. Not interested in Airlines.

Don't limit yourself. Flying freight is ok for a year or 2, after that it's time to GTFO for most people. But you still have plenty of time to enjoy building time instructing and whatever else.
Agreed. It's an ok job for awhile, but there's a reason it's a career for a small percentage of people who work these jobs. The schedule, pay, conditions, and equipment aren't THAT great.

I know ill plan on dying there once I get my hours. But I will certainly be open to other options as well. The one aspect of flying that I have no desire for thus far is airlines.

Out of curiosity, why?
I am kind of a black sheep but I have always loved single engine propeller driven aircraft. I like jets but I don't love jets. And having worked in the freight scene for so long I really enjoy it. It may not be the most glamorous flying job but I know deep down that this is what will satisfy me.

I am kind of a black sheep but I have always loved single engine propeller driven aircraft. I like jets but I don't love jets. And having worked in the freight scene for so long I really enjoy it. It may not be the most glamorous flying job but I know deep down that this is what will satisfy me.
I've got plenty of time in many different singles. I honestly wish I had some Caravan time to go along with it.

All that said, I worked for a UPS feeder for a while, which in some respects in night and day from the FedEx feeders, but at the same time doing all of your flying between 6-8 AM and 6-8 PM gets old real quick. If you're outstation based in a place you want to live it's definitely better.

Ultimately, I think you'll find that 121 flying offers much greater potential for what's known around here as MMMTO, more money, more time off.

Now, if you really are a black sheep you should hook up with the likes of @ppragman and @Roger Roger and they'll give you the full scoop on Alaska.

I've got plenty of time in many different singles. I honestly wish I had some Caravan time to go along with it.

All that said, I worked for a UPS feeder for a while, which in some respects in night and day from the FedEx feeders, but at the same time doing all of your flying between 6-8 AM and 6-8 PM gets old real quick. If you're outstation based in a place you want to live it's definitely better.

Ultimately, I think you'll find that 121 flying offers much greater potential for what's known around here as MMMTO, more money, more time off.

Now, if you really are a black sheep you should hook up with the likes of @ppragman and @Roger Roger and they'll give you the full scoop on Alaska.
I wanted to go to Alaska now but I am taking care of my two disabled parents, so I can't go just yet. But that is in my sights a few years down the road. So maybe for now I'll have to settle being just a grey sheep.

Meh. It's ok I guess. Money men love it because it gets the job done (nothing better for hauling natives and USPS) but its nothing exciting. The Navajo is more fun in a lot of ways because there's more going on.

What about Ameriflight? How much do the Metro or B1900 Captains make long term? Airnet? Like Galaitoto, I have worked in transportation before as a delivery driver
and enjoyed it. Did you know FedEx Drivers make about as much as a Caravan Captain?(Although way much less physical labor). I'm also a simple guy, and I'm thankful just to be a Pilot, let alone get paid to fly one. The 121 industry seems too hectic for so little pay. Plus Boxes don't complain.

Lol...... no, seriously, lol.

If you want to be a career feeder pilot than do yourself a big favor and fly for a FedEx van operator. Way less physical work, and more money. All the Metro guys where I worked had to load and unload their own freight at the outstations, and those things can haul several thousand pounds. The UPS feeder contracts are also a lot less stable than the FedEx feeders, as they're up for bid every 30 days.

As far as hectic, if you live in base a 121 regional is an absolutely cake gig.

Where do you live?

Back