Flight Instructor jobs in Bay Area, or in Austin, TX area?

JustinS

This might be jumping the gun a little, but I feel sooner than later is better. I'm set to graduate from college in less than 5 months, and I'll be looking for another CFI job. I love my job at my university, but I'd like to live in a different city and get broader experience. I have family both in Austin, TX and in San Jose, CA so I am interested in CFI jobs in either location. I have done some research on schools in both places. I hear there are some good schools out at LVK, and I have been looking at schools both in AUS and GTU.

The important part is I will be graduating with roughly 450-500 TT (with about 150-200 Dual Given). I have 340 TT right now, and 54 multi with my CFI-CFII-MEI. I will be flight instructing in the Citabria this next semester building some tail wheel time as well. So any suggestions would be great. I'm open to whatever there may be out there.

My subscription to big orange just ran out, but there are always a couple of outfits at AUS that have a listing on there. That might be a good thing or a bad thing.

You might also want to try Nice Air at RHV. They always seem to be hiring. Part 141 with primarily Japanese students, IIRC.

p.s. Wow, Joe @ Flying Vikings is still around? Now there's a name from the past.

I know Ahart Aviation at KLVK seemed pretty busy when I was out there renting their Seminole to build some multi time. Good deal on the seminole, but it was pretty beat up. The guy who checked me out in it seemed like a pretty no-nonsense guy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have applied at some of these places. Right now I am leaning more towards Bay Area flight schools. I would really enjoy moving out there and flight instructing out there. Vyse thanks for the suggestion I'll check them out as well.

Throwing this in a bit late, but there are a few places in San Marcos (KHYI) Tx that do flight instruction. Austin screwed the pooch when they shut down Robert Mueller Airport and moved everything to Bergstrom. Bergstrom is anti anything other than commercial airliners. GTU or HYI is a good bet. Try Southwest Texas Aviation and Redbird Skyport in San Marcos. If you want to go a bit further south, I always here of people hiring in New Braunfels (KBAZ). You can't beat the Texas Hill Country nor the party area of San Marcos.

Throwing this in a bit late, but there are a few places in San Marcos (KHYI) Tx that do flight instruction. Austin screwed the pooch when they shut down Robert Mueller Airport and moved everything to Bergstrom. Bergstrom is anti anything other than commercial airliners. GTU or HYI is a good bet. Try Southwest Texas Aviation and Redbird Skyport in San Marcos. If you want to go a bit further south, I always here of people hiring in New Braunfels (KBAZ). You can't beat the Texas Hill Country nor the party area of San Marcos.

Except that there are at least 2 flight schools at Bergstrom, plus another two flying clubs that I know of. I liked flying in and out of AUS - I just didn't like the prices of Avgas at Atlantic or Signature. That's what flying up to Burnet was for. :)

What's going on up at Austic Executive? Finally saw it for the first time a few weeks ago on the way into AUS.

No idea about Austin Executive. They've finally built it up from the small country airport that it was (Bird's Nest?). I've flown by there but have never landed. But it is growing so it might have some flight schools now as well.

If you have 500 hours and are interested in aerial survey, Aperture Aviation is based out of RHV. Don't think we're hiring at the moment, but the chief may keep resumes on file for attrition. There's an older thread in the members-only jobs section for more info.

If you have 500 hours and are interested in aerial survey, Aperture Aviation is based out of RHV. Don't think we're hiring at the moment, but the chief may keep resumes on file for attrition. There's an older thread in the members-only jobs section for more info.

Cool thanks! I'll look into that. I'm about to break 400 hours within the next 2 weeks or so. :)

Austin exec is very nice! Fbo is great. No fixed wing training unless you own a cirrus thru planesmart. There is a helo school there.

Austin exec is very nice! Fbo is great. No fixed wing training unless you own a cirrus thru planesmart. There is a helo school there.

Is that by circumstance or by design?

Because I always thought a well-run flight school would do well there.

I think they prefer not to have much flight training there. I have not talked to the heli ops guys there at all. I know they dont allow touch and goes. Planesmart does flight training but only to the owner operators. design is great for instructing. They have a true short field there and apporaches into EDC. Nice ramp layout, Extremly nice FBO with a movie screen in the pilots lounge. Overnight crew quarters as well. Would rank high on my list of fuel stops along with flights into the Austin area.

No touch and goes? That is just stupid. This airport is out in the country and only cows would make noise complaints. Looks like the city of Austin is screwing the pooch again. This airport could be a huge asset to the area if the local politics would just pull their collective heads out.

No touch and goes? That is just stupid. This airport is out in the country and only cows would make noise complaints. Looks like the city of Austin is screwing the pooch again. This airport could be a huge asset to the area if the local politics would just pull their collective heads out.

Maybe the guys who built the airport intentionally don't want flight training clogging up their airport. I agree it would be a huge asset to EDC, but I guess all the big wigs don't want it...

Maybe the guys who built the airport intentionally don't want flight training clogging up their airport. I agree it would be a huge asset to EDC, but I guess all the big wigs don't want it...

Considering that damn near every recreational pilot out of AUS buys gas somewhere OTHER than AUS, the ol' Birdsnest is walking away from a revenue stream.

I had just moved to AUS in '08 when our own mhcasey checked me out in a 152 Sparrowhawk down there on the short, narrow asphalt strip with the tree at the south end. The plane's owner encouraged us to buy gas somewhere, ANYWHERE other than AUS.

Back