Emirates A340 Tail Strike

Don't know about the -340 but it takes some work to get a tailstrike on takeoff. We had lots of problems with guys trying to yank the 737-400 into the air when it first came out.

I was wondering about that. Im not sure if this was the A340-600 version but that is one long airplane. Would that make it easier for this to happen?

I think the -500's got better range, but that's a Max question. Actually, I think he got eclipsed by COA787! :)

I think the -500's got better range, but that's a Max question. Actually, I think he got eclipsed by COA787! :)

The -500 most certainly does have longer range. Generally, it carries less people and is shorter (less weight = more availabe fuel capacity), so it can fly further.

I was wondering about that. Im not sure if this was the A340-600 version but that is one long airplane. Would that make it easier for this to happen?

No doubt but then that's why they get the big bucks. I think the clearance on the old -400 was less than a foot with PROPER rotation. The notes I have seen indicate the usual rotation is (3deg/sec to 12-13 nose up.

And that is reportedly why the 707 was unable to be stretched like the DC-8.. wouldn't be able to rotate without lots of changes to lots of stuff.

And this is the A340-500 which is not the longest one (which is the -600) On other sites it is suggested they may have had incorrect T/O data, that there was a CG miscalculation, that there was a cargo shift or a combination. At any rate, they took out part of the localizer at the end of the runway and the F/As said there was smoke in the cabin. That suggests the aft pressure bulkhead was crushed and that is $$$.

a6erg3.jpg

a6erg.jpg

There are a number of plausible expanations for this happening. One is that an error in the takeoff performance data was not caught by the crew; the second is a load shift (containers) during takeoff rotation; and the third would be windshear. We'll have to wait for the investigation to get a full explanation.

I believe the A340-500 has software in the flight control system that warns of an impending tail strike. The B777-300ER, and I believe the A340-600, have software that reduce the potential for tail skid contact by decreasing elevator deflection when an imminent tail strike is sensed.

Typhoonpilot

The -500 most certainly does have longer range. Generally, it carries less people and is shorter (less weight = more availabe fuel capacity), so it can fly further.

Actually less weight means lower fuel burn, not necessarily more available fuel capacity.

Typhoonpilot

That reminds me of an episode of Worlds Toughest Fixes where the fix one on a 767. That is quite a project:panic::)

Shortly after we got our 767s at the old Piedmont, one of our notorious Capt's got a tailstrike at LAX. Dean had a history of rogue behavior including such antics as opening the over-rides and deploying the reversers IN FLIGHT on the 737-200. The other was pulling the throttles to idle around 50-75ft and running the trim full nose up. Touching down BEFORE the shaker was a failure for Dean. I sat right seat through one were we were at or just below 100kts when we touched down. Going to the Chief Pilot would have done little as everyone knew Dean was a loose cannon. This was all pre-1st edition CRM.

Anyway, Dean got the tailstrike, crushed the for-all-intents a brand new aft pressure bulkhead. Dean was given the option to retire with full benefits or be fired. But either way, he would never sit in another PI cockpit. Dean retired. I heard later, rightly or wrongly, that Dean was involved in an incident damaging a Citation. Some never learn nor benefit from the reprieves they are given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Anchor
That suggests the aft pressure bulkhead was crushed and that is $$$.
That reminds me of an episode of Worlds Toughest Fixes where the fix one on a 767. That is quite a project

I saw that. It was really neat how Boeing responded to an AOG.:rawk:

Lol..he can have it..:)

Atta boy..way to make me proud! :D

:laff: :D

Actually less weight means lower fuel burn, not necessarily more available fuel capacity.

Typhoonpilot

That is also true. However, Airbus (I think this is the reason, at least) took advantage of the fact that the decreased aircraft and payload weight could be made up with the weight of more fuel, so the -500 has a higher maximum fuel capacity than the -600.

I saw that. It was really neat how Boeing responded to an AOG.:rawk:

I am fairly sure ALL the OEMs have go-teams to repair their stuff. The first BIG repair I remember was a JAL 7 47 that weathervaned on an icy taxiway at ANC and was blown off the taxiway. Cost to repair a whoppin' (at that time) $20mil. And then Air France took an almost brand new 747 off the runway in Tahiti and it too was repaired.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19930912-1

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19751216-0

There are a number of plausible expanations for this happening. One is that an error in the takeoff performance data was not caught by the crew; the second is a load shift (containers) during takeoff rotation; and the third would be windshear. We'll have to wait for the investigation to get a full explanation.

I believe the A340-500 has software in the flight control system that warns of an impending tail strike. The B777-300ER, and I believe the A340-600, have software that reduce the potential for tail skid contact by decreasing elevator deflection when an imminent tail strike is sensed.

Typhoonpilot

Typhoon wins the cupie doll!

Weight error caused Australia plane scare: officials

SYDNEY (AFP) — Incorrect weight data on an in-flight computer caused the tail of an Emirates plane to scrape the runway during take-off from an Australian airport, according to officials.

The Dubai-bound Airbus A340 was forced to make an emergency landing an hour after taking off last month at Melbourne airport when the crew received a tail strike alarm.

Smoke began to enter the rear of the cabin as flight EK407 circled the airport for more than 30 minutes to dump fuel before landing safely and without any injuries. There were 257 passengers and 18 crew on board.

A preliminary investigation by Australia's air safety regulator found that the weight was entered incorrectly into the onboard computer.

"The result... was to produce a thrust setting and take-off reference speeds that were lower than those required for the aircraft?s actual weight," the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said.

The plane's tail was seriously damaged as the captain manually increased thruster pressure, scraping the rear fuselage along the tarmac and the grass verge beyond the runway.

An internal Emirates investigation had prompted review in a number of areas, including the potential introduction of a double-entry system for flight computers "to protect against single data source entry error," the ATSB said.

Back